Raiders Defense

Rolni

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

I prefer Marcus Williams but I don’t think we should set the market on a FS unless he is a game changer. Have to be smart with our money, each position has more significance over another. I would rather invest in the trenches, makes the game easier for DBs in my eyes. Probably should cut Brown because He is just a RT. I don’t even think he is the backup LT any longer.... Parker shown he sucks at RT but decent at LT.... 

Marcus Williams or John Johnson III would both be nice pickups that wouldn't break the bank. 

I was thinking that too, it’s a good free agent FS class. MM needs to move smart, and not get all trigger happy like he did with Mariota. We signed him quick in an overpay and other guys like Jameis(same tier) signed for like pennies on the dollar. Maybe not get the best Free safety but get a good one at value. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

PFF's projected contract for him was 4 yr/$50M ($12.5M avg) which would make him the 6th highest paid safety in the league. 

I would be absolutely shocked if he signed for that. He's been superb for the Rams for the last couple years, we'll see I guess but I'd think he'd be closer to wanting to be #1.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I would be absolutely shocked if he signed for that. He's been superb for the Rams for the last couple years, we'll see I guess but I'd think he'd be closer to wanting to be #1.

He only played in 6 games in 2019 so injury concerns along with a lot of other safeties on the market may drive his value down a tad bit. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He only played in 6 games in 2019 so injury concerns along with a lot of other safeties on the market may drive his value down a tad bit. 

I suppose so, if you could get him for that I'd say its very good value potentially. I do like Marcus Maye but his tackling concerns me as we've not been a good tackling team. 

19 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Please don't put Woodson name in with these other players. You're talking about 1 of the top 10 best cornerbacks of all time. 

I never said Sherman was anywhere near his level. Just saying Sherman could probably make the transition. 

Amik - give him a chance to be slot 

Abram - should shine under an actual DC playing near LOS

Mullen and Arnette developing to starting CBs 

Littleton- thriving as a WLB, using his elite range 

Ferrell-Max- let them rotate one stop. Ferrell in on 1&2 and Crosby on 3 downs. Let them push each other for that next contract and play to their strengths. 

I can see those in house improvement doing wonders. Adding another starting DE, DT, FS in free agency would do wonders and allow us to draft BPA and not reach for needs....:

On 1/16/2021 at 10:45 PM, NYRaider said:

Justin Simmons: Would be a dream come true but as you've mentioned in the past it's hard to see Denver letting him walk. If he does hit free agency though I'd send him over a blank check. 

Marcus Maye: Another guy I'd pursue, he'd be cheaper than Simmons, he's only 27, and he has excelled in a true FS role with the Jets. 

Marcus Williams: He's only 24 and has been consistent throughout his career with the Saints, he wasn't as good in coverage in 2020 as he was in 2019 but still a guy I'd be happy with. 

Anthony Harris: I was big on the Harris train but I've honestly started to cool on him. 2019 was his first season as a full time starter/player and he played at a super high level during a contract year. They tagged him and he wasn't nearly as effective this season and he'll be 30 at the start of next season. He'd obviously be an upgrade but I'd be a little weary of giving him a huge contract considering his age and small sample size of high level play. 

John Johnson III: He has had some injury issues but he has played at a borderline elite level for the Rams #1 defense this season. He's only 25 and the Rams are strapped for cash plus have drafted 3 safeties in the last two drafts so they'll probably have to let him walk. He's another guy that I'd be really happy with. 

Denver has a better cap situation right now then us and they have some additional space there in too, so I also doubt Simmons makes it to FA.

Jets have a ton of cap space, need quality players,just traded their SS and just got a D HC. I think Maye will be abck there.

Williams should hit the market with that cap situation over in NO. He is a young, quality FS, who could be a realistic option, however I have some concern because he played in a strong D.

Harris should test the market IMO and could be a really solid option for us. 

Johnson also should hit the market with that LAR cap situation. He could be a high reward pick up with some injury concern as you said.

If we can't land any top FS we might settle with Joyner as our FS and/or bring in Rayshawn Jenkins if he hits the market and want to follow his coaches.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 1:44 AM, NYRaider said:

This!  We need to take advantage of an oversaturated market.  Find a talented player but don't break the bank.  We need to be smart with our salary cap.  Someone else said it and I agree, we need to build up our DL and that is where our salary cap should go.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jerry said:

This!  We need to take advantage of an oversaturated market.  Find a talented player but don't break the bank.  We need to be smart with our salary cap.  Someone else said it and I agree, we need to build up our DL and that is where our salary cap should go.

Exactly