Raiders Defense

Rolni

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

His defense is built from outside then in. Get the edge pressure then get solid play from your DT's. 

Which is why Shaq Barrett, Bud Dupree, Matt Judon, or Melvin Ingram would make a ton of sense in free agency. As would a guy like Zaven Collins at #17, play him at SAM in our base defense and off the edge in our nickel defense. 

My pipe dream is still landing Leonard Williams and John Johnson III in free agency and taking Zaven Collins at #17. We'd be adding difference makers at all 3 levels. 

time for MM to earn his money. We started off good by canning Paul G for Gus Bradley. fix the starters and continue to add talent in depth:

DE: Max/Ferrell

Ut: Open

NT: Open

DE: Open

WLB: Littleton

MLB: Kwit

SLB: Open

CB: Mullen

CB: Arnette (Q)

Slot: Robertson (Q)- little questionable with Arnette, and Robertson, maybe add a vet in the mix. pass rush would help

FS: Open

SS: Abram

plug those needs, and go from there

I dont see the fit with  Zaven Collins. I don't see the natural pass rush needed from him to make him the pick. SAM LB will be rushing the QB 80 percent of the time and I dont see Zaven fitting that role. Zaven needs to play in a more traditional 4-3 where he can blitz at times but play in coverage most of the time. 

From the draft Jaelan Phillips would be ideal for me. Shown to be able to stand up and put his hand in the dirt and he is the best pass rusher in this draft( I will die on that hill and defend it) Sam LB or LEO he fits in. Injury history but that doesn't scare me. He is freakish and has that great first step with great bending ability. 

Could the Raiders go out and get two outside pass rushers then take a DT yeah, but outside pressure will be prioritized over anything 

3 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I dont see the fit with  Zaven Collins. I don't see the natural pass rush needed from him to make him the pick. SAM LB will be rushing the QB 80 percent of the time and I dont see Zaven fitting that role. Zaven needs to play in a more traditional 4-3 where he can blitz at times but play in coverage most of the time. 

From the draft Jaelan Phillips would be ideal for me. Shown to be able to stand up and put his hand in the dirt and he is the best pass rusher in this draft( I will die on that hill and defend it) Sam LB or LEO he fits in. Injury history but that doesn't scare me. He is freakish and has that great first step with great bending ability. 

Could the Raiders go out and get two outside pass rushers then take a DT yeah, but outside pressure will be prioritized over anything 

I like Phillips a lot too. if he didn't have the injury history, he would be mocked in the top 10. Phillips, Barmore, JOK those are my main 3 at the moment. 

we plugged in half of what need to be decent on defense, 2 years ago we had next to nothing. Now time to finish off the Rebuilding of the defense. Look at a 2018 Raider depth chart, a total joke on the defense side of the ball lol (Leon Hall, Gilchrist, Tank, Lamur, Whitehead, Derrick Johnson)

Edited by Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

I agree with you on Collins for the most part. I think he ends up being a good pro, a very solid LB, but not a guy that's going to make his money being a great edge rusher at the NFL level. 

Disagree with Phillips being the best pass rusher in this draft. For me that is quite clearly Ojulari. And he, to me, is a perfect fit for the role a lot of people believe Collins can fill. He has played all over the field for UGA, played on the edge rushing the passer and has also played as a more traditional non pass rushing OLB. But he's just absolutely LETHAL with his explosiveness and bend coming off the edge. AO seems to me like the perfect fit scheme wise, value wise with his pass rushing presence, and a his versatility will be a huge benefit. AO seems to me like a much better fit than Collins in Bradley's scheme simply because being a better pass rusher is more valuable in the NFL. Collins will be the better OLB in coverage and in space (though I don't feel he will be elite in that area) but Ojulari will be better at bending the edge. Honestly Ojulari seems to me like the type of player that Bradley could get a ton out of. 

He's my top candidate for 17 right now. And I'm hoping he can continue to be a realistic top option if we can add a vet or two at DT that would allow us to wait on a DT until the second or third round where there are some guys I really like more than the couple that might go in the first. My second choice for the pick of the realistic options currently would probably be Ossai. For pretty much the same reasons as AO. I love his game and his twitchy, explosive, balance and bend around the edge to go with his versatility. I would be extremely happy with either one of those guys. I feel like both are exactly what we are missing on the edge of our defense. Ojulari will probably continue to be my top choice for pick 17 unless we can land a Yannick, Reddick, etc (or my somewhat under the radar free agent pass rushing help in Carl Lawson who could play that SLB/pass rushing role. 

On an kind of related note, I would be tempted to roll the dice on taking a  off the ball non pass rushing LB depending how the board falls. Even with Littelton and Kwit both being guys I think can be really solid in Bradleys defense.  I really like a few of the first round type LB prospects in Parsons, Bolton, Owusu-Koramoah, and Mosses. But perhaps that is just me being so jaded by a decade of terrible LB play and Littelton coming off a down year, and feeling like those guys will end up being among the best defenders in the entire draft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Raider said:

I agree with you on Collins for the most part. I think he ends up being a good pro, a very solid LB, but not a guy that's going to make his money being a great edge rusher at the NFL level. 

Disagree with Phillips being the best pass rusher in this draft. For me that is quite clearly Ojulari. And he, to me, is a perfect fit for the role a lot of people believe Collins can fill. He has played all over the field for UGA, played on the edge rushing the passer and has also played as a more traditional non pass rushing OLB. But he's just absolutely LETHAL with his explosiveness and bend coming off the edge. AO seems to me like the perfect fit scheme wise, value wise with his pass rushing presence, and a his versatility will be a huge benefit. AO seems to me like a much better fit than Collins in Bradley's scheme simply because being a better pass rusher is more valuable in the NFL. Collins will be the better OLB in coverage and in space (though I don't feel he will be elite in that area) but Ojulari will be better at bending the edge. Honestly Ojulari seems to me like the type of player that Bradley could get a ton out of. 

He's my top candidate for 17 right now. And I'm hoping he can continue to be a realistic top option if we can add a vet or two at DT that would allow us to wait on a DT until the second or third round where there are some guys I really like more than the couple that might go in the first. My second choice for the pick of the realistic options currently would probably be Ossai. For pretty much the same reasons as AO. I love his game and his twitchy, explosive, balance and bend around the edge to go with his versatility. I would be extremely happy with either one of those guys. I feel like both are exactly what we are missing on the edge of our defense. Ojulari will probably continue to be my top choice for pick 17 unless we can land a Yannick, Reddick, etc (or my somewhat under the radar free agent pass rushing help in Carl Lawson who could play that SLB/pass rushing role. 

On an kind of related note, I would be tempted to roll the dice on taking a  off the ball non pass rushing LB depending how the board falls. Even with Littelton and Kwit both being guys I think can be really solid in Bradleys defense.  I really like a few of the first round type LB prospects in Parsons, Bolton, Owusu-Koramoah, and Mosses. But perhaps that is just me being so jaded by a decade of terrible LB play and Littelton coming off a down year, and feeling like those guys will end up being among the best defenders in the entire draft. 

I feel like Ojulari is going be a top 10 pick when it's all said and done, at least top 12. Moses is in the 2nd in most mocks, and idk about Bolton. Honestly haven't dug too much into him, but he sure is small. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I feel like Ojulari is going be a top 10 pick when it's all said and done, at least top 12. Moses is in the 2nd in most mocks, and idk about Bolton. Honestly haven't dug too much into him, but he sure is small. 

I feel like Ojulari is a guy that should go top 10, but will likely go in the 15-20 range. It's certainly possible he's gone before we pick though. I just think some teams over think things, especially for pass rushers that are deemed undersized. The same reason we reached on Ferrell can effect other teams and cause them to take more prototypical ends. I think Ojulari belongs as a top 10 pick, but some teams will feel like he will struggle to be a system fit or will believe him to need a year or so to add some weight to be an every down player. 

Mosses is a guy that I really do like, but yeah, at the moment he seems to be viewed more as a second round pick, I kind of added him on, he wouldn't be a guy I'd take at 17, but maybe with a trade down depending how the board fell, but he's more a dude I would look hard at if he's there in the second for sure. 

Bolton is a little on the small side, but in today's NFL I don't worry about that nearly as much. He can struggle with taking on blockers because of it, but most LBs struggle if that is a constant thing they face. He's very experienced, is rarely out of possible, has a good feel for the game IMO, and one of the biggest pros for me with him, he doesn't miss many tackles, and that's something that killed us last year. That could be making him more appealing as well as seeing the Bucs have a defense that was so great behind a consistent pass rush and a couple really instinctive, rangy, tackling machines at LB. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dessie said:

You think Williams will be too expensive ? What do think he will go for ? What do you think to WJ III, is he too expensive as well? 

Too many question marks over the secondary for me. Arnette, Johnson, Robertson, it’s all hoping that they will develop, we need a CB that we can rely on , whilst we develop the younger guys. Johnson and Robertson haven’t shown anything to suggest we can rely on them to be starters next season. 

Sorry that was a typo...I meant William Jackson to be too expensive.
I think he will get around 8M-10M/year and I think that is too rich for us at the moment, but I might be too high on our young CBs...I know that we have too many questionmarks at CB, but I expect Gus and Ron to come in and coach them up. They have talent, they are young IF we have the right coaching staff they can step up.

I want most of the resources on pass rush! With a better pass rush, our CBs will have a better chance too. Other then pass rush/DL I want a quality FS to roam the back end and to get the young CBs in order if needed.

Marcus Williams should be around that 8M-10M/year range too IMO and I would go after him rather then a CB to be our FS.

• Like 1

Jason Verrett could be an option at CB depending on the price. He played pretty well last season but obviously has a long injury history. Spent most of his career with the Chargers and our new DB coach. I have no idea what his value will be though.

• Like 1

What would you guys think about a scenario like this:

Re-sign J.Hankins to a short term deal and use him as a 2 down NT.

Sign Dalvin Tomlinson to a strong deal and put him in the middle of that DL. He can play 4T/3T/2T/1T for us IMO. He can be the 4T/3T next to Hankins in base packages then he can stay also in nickel/dime as well.

Keep Mo Hurst and Kendal Vickers as 3T/4T options and rotational guys. Hurst should play a lot next to Tomlinson and as his rotational pair in nickel/dime, while Vickers could be a solid emergency guy.

Keep Nassib as base SSDE/5T depth, rotation and occasional 3T/4T in nickel/dime. There is not a lot to win on his release, keep him and see what he has under a good DC.

Put Ferrell at SSDE/5T as the starter in base and let him work from the inside quite some in nickel/dime.

Put Maxx at LEO/WSDE as the starter in base and rotate him over to the strong side in nickel and dime.

Draft Azeez Ojulari to be our LEO/SAM. Use him as SAM in base a bit, but mostly use him as LEO in nickel and dime.

Bring back Raekwon McMillan for a prove it deal under Gus&Co. to be our main SAM in base.

Let Kwia be the MLB and put Cory at WLB in base and use them as the 2 ILB on nickel/dime.

Cut Lamarcus Joyner and bring back Nevin Lawson to give us a veteran security option at NCB.

Let Gus&Ron develope our young CBs. Mullen, Arnette, Johnson, Amik, Nixon should be a solid group with better pass rush.

Put J.Abram at SS and let him play that Chancellor/Adams role.

Keep Heath as insurance policy behind him.

Sign Marcus Williams to a strong deal to be our single high FS. He is still young, he has lots of experience at FS and he comes from a strong, winning culture. 

Draft a guy like Jamien Sherwood in the 3rd round. He could be an option in the long run if Abram fails or he could be part of some good 3 S packages if Abram turns out to be a force close to the LOS.

The D should look like this:

LDE: Ferrell, Nassib

NT: Hankins, Tomlinson

DT: Tomlinson, Hurst, Vickers

RDE: Crosby, Azeez

SLB: McMillan, Azeez

MLB: Kwiatkoski, Muse 

WLB: Cory, White

LCB: Mullen, Johnson

RCB: Arnette, Nixon

NCB: Amik, Lawson

SS: Abram, Heath

FS: Williams, Sherwood

I wouldn't have much of a problem with it but Tomlinson + Hankins would probably be pretty expensive for players who don't have a huge impact in the passing game. Hankins wouldn't play a lot imo. Having them both on the field is great to stop the run but not so much when it comes to pass rush. Tomlinson is going to be too expensive to just be sharing snaps in that role. If we were to re-sign Hankins, someone like DJ Jones would make more sense to pair with him. If we sign Tomlinson, i'd look at the draft for depth.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rolni said:

Sorry that was a typo...I meant William Jackson to be too expensive.
I think he will get around 8M-10M/year and I think that is too rich for us at the moment, but I might be too high on our young CBs...I know that we have too many questionmarks at CB, but I expect Gus and Ron to come in and coach them up. They have talent, they are young IF we have the right coaching staff they can step up.

I want most of the resources on pass rush! With a better pass rush, our CBs will have a better chance too. Other then pass rush/DL I want a quality FS to roam the back end and to get the young CBs in order if needed.

Marcus Williams should be around that 8M-10M/year range too IMO and I would go after him rather then a CB to be our FS.

Ah ok that makes more sense. I agree about Williams and I have the FS spot as our biggest need at the moment. I don’t think hoping a couple of 4th round picks will come good is a good strategy for the Cbs, a vet even on a 1 year deal is going to be needed. 

Pass rush is key obviously but I think we will need to deal with Nassib first. His cap hit next year is probably too big to allow us to get another DE in FA. 

What position did Nwosu play for the Chargers in base, was it SAM then moved to Leo spot on passing downs?  

Bradley haven't used that SAM/LEO hybrid role for a while now.

With the Chargers he used Bosa and Ingram as his DE's/pass rushers. Ingram was mostly on the weak side, but Gus even mixed them some.

When Ingram was out Bosa became the weak side guy and bigger guys filled in as 5T on the strong side. 

Nick Vigil was his SAM and he never rushed the passer, maybe on a few blitz plays. He used his LBs as traditional LBs.