Raiders Defense

Rolni

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

We’re better off cutting him? Cmon man.

He absolutely has workable traits. I saw him run with guys, including Hill.

Milus was brought in to develop these young guys. We brought in a press man favoring DC. 

I thought kolton Miller was a bust and turned it around with coaching and time. I don’t see why it’s unreasonable for other rookies/young players to do it.

You clearly missed my point. 

Your rationale that I cited was "Especially ones who played the year with several concussions/injuries". 

If that is the reason he played poorly, yeah, I would absolutely move on. A 26 year old CB hampered by numerous injuries, if that is all that's being said, is cut worthy. 

NOW you're citing workable traits. That's an entirely different point and discussion. 

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I stand corrected. I read an article somewhere mid season that he wasn't playing much in Baltimore. What was the reasoning the Vikings bought high and sold low on him after 5 games?

Yeah, I'm not investing into a guy that 3 franchises gave up on for pennies on the dollar in a single season. And a guy that has already publicly had disputes with team management. 

11 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I stand corrected. I read an article somewhere mid season that he wasn't playing much in Baltimore. What was the reasoning the Vikings bought high and sold low on him after 5 games?

It's weird. Basically the vikings saw their record and realized he wasn't going to resign either from what I understand so they dealt him to the ravens and ate the 2nd 3rd trade.

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

You clearly missed my point. 

Your rationale that I cited was "Especially ones who played the year with several concussions/injuries". 

If that is the reason he played poorly, yeah, I would absolutely move on. A 26 year old CB hampered by numerous injuries, if that is all that's being said, is cut worthy. 

NOW you're citing workable traits. That's an entirely different point and discussion. 

He's 24 and had bad luck with injuries which explained his bad play. Now I'm not saying he wasn't an idiot at times. He needs to show more awareness. But don't underestimate the impact of coaching on these guys.

Talent is lacking a little on defense in some areas, but coaching was def a factor. Paul G over complicated things. 

our talent level is definitely better than 2 years ago. but we need a DT and FS badly as well as a consistent pass rusher. but I've seen other teams still do better with less or equal.

• Like 1

Our defense isn't "stacked" but there is potential. We probably need to add 4-5 new starters, so we are half way there in terms of talent. Heath, Johnson, Hurst, Nassib, Irving are fine depth too. Two of the biggest issues last year was or horrible play calling and lack of pressure. We always were at a disadvantage in the trenches. Football 101, we have to get better upfront so I'll LBs and DBs can shine. I believe we do have a talented DBs, and Littleton will bounce back. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

On 2/21/2021 at 11:25 PM, Jeremy408 said:

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-top-10-cornerbacks-by-coverage-situation

So when you ask me what I see and Damon Arnette that would be my evaluation. 

Thank you for an excellent eval. I understand why others would take a top CB with #17. If the players is BPA beyond what's left on the board, I wouldn't be upset but I think a trade down would be available. I don't have a problem with our young CB's and remember Pittsburg having meh CB's but a ferocious pass rush that made their defense work well. I think it was 'Cough' long ago that sold me on not needing a #1 CB stud and it makes sense to have good players instead of a star that QB's just look the other way from and ends up costing 20 million next contract. That article makes me hope Amik has the game slow down so he can use his abilities. I'm also NOT a fan of drafting for a 'need' now so a pass rusher in FA is needed and then see if Crosby/Ferrell keep developing. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have been rewatching Abram. Tape Don't Lie agrees with me. He actually can cover, especially in zone. Not in man, but not many strong safeties can cover receivers consistently and effectively. But the lack of discipline is still glaring. And he did get his hands on the football. And he did generate a decent amount of pressure off of blitzes.

I can give him a mini pass for the hero plays because we were pretty miserable on defense last year. And because the defense did look very soft without him on the field.

But he HAS to get more disciplined.

With all those nice things I said about him, I still think we need to bring in someone to push him. A versatile safety in the draft, a nickel/box hybrid who can take over if he refuses to address his shortcomings. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Have been rewatching Abram. Tape Don't Lie agrees with me. He actually can cover, especially in zone. Not in man, but not many strong safeties can cover receivers consistently and effectively. But the lack of discipline is still glaring. And he did get his hands on the football. And he did generate a decent amount of pressure off of blitzes.

I can give him a mini pass for the hero plays because we were pretty miserable on defense last year. And because the defense did look very soft without him on the field.

But he HAS to get more disciplined.

With all those nice things I said about him, I still think we need to bring in someone to push him. A versatile safety in the draft, a nickel/box hybrid who can take over if he refuses to address his shortcomings. 

I’m actually way higher on Abram then the consensus.  He needs discipline and a good coach... but he can be very good.  It’s funny how we all went from Jamal Adam’s comps to worthless overnight, because he struggled at times in a PG defense.

abrams will calm down and play more disciplined with more Talent around him... he won’t feel the need to make hero plays.  He needs guidance and we should bring in a veteran CB and FS to help him and the rest.

I actually use the word  “hero plays” to describe Abrams too.  Idk where I got the term but I’ve heard it a while ago and it’s fitting.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m actually way higher on Abram then the consensus.  He needs discipline and a good coach... but he can be very good.  It’s funny how we all went from Jamal Adam’s comps to worthless overnight, because he struggled at times in a PG defense.

abrams will calm down and play more disciplined with more Talent around him... he won’t feel the need to make hero plays.  He needs guidance and we should bring in a veteran CB and FS to help him and the rest.

I actually use the word  “hero plays” to describe Abrams too.  Idk where I got the term but I’ve heard it a while ago and it’s fitting.

I definitely agree with that. If you actually understand the defense that part number was running there was no way safety with Abrams skill set was going to ever thrive(and that’s without the stupid stuff he does like hitting people out of bounds or hitting his own players or missing a tackle and then talking trash) 

there’s no reason why Abrams should be covering a 4.3 wr down the field. 

15 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I definitely agree with that. If you actually understand the defense that part number was running there was no way safety with Abrams skill set was going to ever thrive(and that’s without the stupid stuff he does like hitting people out of bounds or hitting his own players or missing a tackle and then talking trash) 

there’s no reason why Abrams should be covering a 4.3 wr down the field. 

Spot on.... and that’s why I’m so glad PG is gone and his horrible system with him.  I’m skeptical that GB will be the DC he was in Seattle but I’m hoping he is.  
Putting Abrams in the same role as Chancellor is one which he could thrive.  He needs to be used in zone coverage and keep him reactionary with simple Assignments versus overly complicated schemes.  We want him fast and attacking.

• Like 2