Raiders Defense

Rolni

2 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

On the topic of defense, @NightTrainLane do you think its just more experience and reps together to get our team to gel?  

That and another draft or two. I'm playing the long game here. I think one more major player is needed for us to really be a dominate defense. I don't know if that player is already on the team (Lee, James, Conley, Obi, Edwards or Vanderdoes) and needs to develop or is yet to come but I also think that with the talent we have gelling and growing together can perform well enough to get us over the top.

Based on Saturday night's performance, it looks like it might be another long year for this defensive group. The interior defensive line generated little push in the run or pass. The secondary was even more inept with TJ Carrie looking forever stuck in "promising low round pick purgatory". For every good streak he has, he'll have an equally bad streak. Karl Joseph has looked surprisingly bad in man-to-man coverage against tight ends going back to his rookie year. I don't know why he was playing with outside leverage on the Witten touchdown catch when he had no help inside. He looked great in WVU playing press man against smaller and more agile receivers so it surprises me he can't at least stick to bigger and less quick tight ends.

Surprisingly enough, linebacker is among the least of the problems I identify on the defense -- though the group isn't good either.

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Based on Saturday night's performance, it looks like it might be another long year for this defensive group. The interior defensive line generated little push in the run or pass. The secondary was even more inept with TJ Carrie looking forever stuck in "promising low round pick purgatory". For every good streak he has, he'll have an equally bad streak. Karl Joseph has looked surprisingly bad in man-to-man coverage against tight ends going back to his rookie year. I don't know why he was playing with outside leverage on the Witten touchdown catch when he had no help inside. He looked great in WVU playing press man against smaller and more agile receivers so it surprises me he can't at least stick to bigger and less quick tight ends.

Surprisingly enough, linebacker is among the least of the problems I identify on the defense -- though the group isn't good either.

If you look at that play the LB was supposed to cover the inside but he bit on the play action. The LBs are a big problem in this defense they either have bad instincts or are being put into bad positions by coaching. Honestly it could be either one.

10 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

That and another draft or two. I'm playing the long game here. I think one more major player is needed for us to really be a dominate defense. I don't know if that player is already on the team (Lee, James, Conley, Obi, Edwards or Vanderdoes) and needs to develop or is yet to come but I also think that with the talent we have gelling and growing together can perform well enough to get us over the top.

The defense should be better then the  bottom of the NFL. There are teams with less talent that are much better than the Raiders defensively. I'm not going to sit here and expect this team to be top ten because it's not that talented but come on it's at least good enough for the 16-12 range. Honestly this team doesn't need to be top ten defense to win a super bowl with how good the offense is. 

Edited by Chali21

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

The defense should be better then the  bottom of the NFL. There are teams with less talent that are much better than the Raiders defensively. I'm not going to sit here and expect this team to be top ten because it's not that talented but come on it's at least good enough for the 16-12 range. Honestly this team doesn't need to be top ten defense to win a super bowl with how good the offense is. 

I disagree. Last year, I think we were ranked about where we should have been if taking into account our talent. In the 20s. Right with KC, ATL and GB.

This is going to be JDR's and Norton's 3rd season at the helm. We drafted and signed multiple players to their side.

They has to show that they can put a competent D n the field week after week. Not a top 10 unit, just a competent unit.

51 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I disagree. Last year, I think we were ranked about where we should have been if taking into account our talent. In the 20s. Right with KC, ATL and GB.

Last year this Defense was really bad.  If it was not for turnovers we would have been in the 25th to 30th range in points against and yards.  There are a lot of areas we should have improved on but if we regress in the turnover category it may just cancel out.

So are N. Morrow and L. Lewis as good as their stats imply?  These guys have been very productive stat wise over the first 3 preseason games.  Anyone think there is a chance these guys make the team and possibly see some playing time this year?  That fumble/interception whatever touchdown by L. Lewis was pretty sweet.

No throw away account here. Just tired of defending Norton. He needs to play to pur guys strengths. There other teams that do more with less. Even the Cowboys last year had a decent showing and didn't have hardly anyone. We have a top pass rusher and spent two drafts on defense and a few free agent signings. We don't have a ton of talent but we have some talent. Nortom needs to improve or pagano will get his shot.

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Last year this Defense was really bad.  If it was not for turnovers we would have been in the 25th to 30th range in points against and yards.  There are a lot of areas we should have improved on but if we regress in the turnover category it may just cancel out.

And we still won 12 games. It's the balance of the team currently as they build the defense they want thru the draft. And as I have said many times it is still gonna take more time for it to be much improved because young players, even if they are talented, need snaps in NFL games with the same scheme to grow and develop. I'm glad the front office  has shown patience and understands these things even if some fans don't.