Raiders Defense

Rolni

40 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Parsons is a freak, but I'm taking back my earlier take. In a defense where LB are primarily asked to cover, I don't see him as a good fit. Especially because there will be really good players who do other things we need on the board. Whether protecting DC (RT), rushing the passer, or playing centerfield.

I wouldn't be mad if we didn't take him but if we did take him at 17 I would completely understand lolol

5 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

Was M Collins the worse starter we're had in a long time?

I think we look better just not having him on the field.

THE hands down worst? Probably not.

For the expectations going into the season following his signing? Very possible. 

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:
12 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

Was M Collins the worse starter we're had in a long time?

I think we look better just not having him on the field.

THE hands down worst? Probably not.

For the expectations going into the season following his signing? Very possible. 

He was bad for sure, but worse than Parker at RT a couple years ago? How about Sam Young last season or our 2018 WRs? How about our rogues gallery of linebackers pre 2020? It's sad when there's so much competition 😔

Collins was definitely 'sold' to us as an impact player so I'd agree that was probably the biggest rogue trader job by our FO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

He was bad for sure, but worse than Parker at RT a couple years ago? How about Sam Young last season or our 2018 WRs? How about our rogues gallery of linebackers pre 2020? It's sad when there's so much competition 😔

Collins was definitely 'sold' to us as an impact player so I'd agree that was probably the biggest rogue trader job by our FO.

The eye opening thing with Collins is he had his former Dline on staff and Gruden called him the key to the defense. Could not have presented a worse sound bite.

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

On that note.... What's the worst Gruden statement since his return as he's had some doozies.

Good pass rushers are hard to find was hard to top 

Easily "We need to rush the passer better" Two games after they traded Khalil Mack. It has to be that lol

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

On that note.... What's the worst Gruden statement since his return as he's had some doozies.

Yep, the unintentional irony of the 'good pass rushers are hard to find' was a real face palm moment. Has to be that one 😁

Can anyone else remember the 'balls deep' Seattle one when he was broadcasting 😂😂

Edited by Darbsk

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Anything about accountability has to rank up there. 

Collins being the key to the defense. 

"Sam Young is a salty veteran," Gruden told reporters Monday. "He's an experienced swing tackle, he's played tight end at times. He's a pro football player and he's going to compete for the third tackle job, and right now he's making a good impression."

“He has a playing style that I like,” Gruden said. “I think I compared him to the ex-Charger, ex-Patriot great Rodney Harrison. He just has that physical gameday presence that we feel like we need back in this organization. He still has a long way to go to become a great safety, but I think he sees the splash plays that he’s capable of making and he brings us some leadership and energy that we really need in the back end.”- Gruden on Abram....comparing him to Rodney Harrison

“We wish we could have taken Josh and Clelin,” Gruden said with a laugh. “It was a tough decision and I know Jacksonville’s got a good young player there that’s a great kid too.”- But....you really could have if you knew how to scout and had any idea what draft value is.....

"I like him. He was a very productive guy in college," Gruden said. "He played in the slot. He played split end and flanker. Tough guy. Smart. I just think he has a lot of natural skills that were really well worth looking into, and with all our injuries, I really credit Mike Mayock, his staff for the two trades that we've made. Trevor Davis has really paid big dividends for us, and we expect more of the same from Zay."- On Zay Jones, who is practically invisible. 

And my personal favorite:

"Yeah, it's huge," Gruden said. "I mean, 'continuity' is a word that we'd like to live by here, and it's something we have struggled to do, obviously. So, hopefully the young tight ends, the young backs, the offensive line, we're starting to collect some pieces in the secondary and on the defensive edge of our defense. Hopefully those guys can play together for four or five years, and that's when I've seen teams really take off and become competitive, really competitive, when they have some continuity."- And one year later, we're looking at 3 new starters on the O-line with a 4th coming soon when Incognito retires, Jason Witten was used over one of the two young TEs, Josh Jacobs and? Richard?, 3 of the 5 starting DBs (CB, CB, NCB, FS, SS- since we have 3 CBs on the field so often) will be guys who weren't on the team at the time, and our Edge game has never not been in total flux. Yep, gotta love that continuity we've been building!

• Like 2

On 3/31/2021 at 8:55 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Parsons is a freak, but I'm taking back my earlier take. In a defense where LB are primarily asked to cover, I don't see him as a good fit. Especially because there will be really good players who do other things we need on the board. Whether protecting DC (RT), rushing the passer, or playing centerfield.

This is classic overthinking. If a player of Parsons talent level and potential is there you take him and figure out a way to mold your defense around him. This defense is missing elite players and you don’t pass up arguably the best defensive player in the draft because you have Kwit, Littleton, and Morrow. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

This is classic overthinking. If a player of Parsons talent level and potential is there you take him and figure out a way to mold your defense around him. This defense is missing elite players and you don’t pass up arguably the best defensive player in the draft because you have Kwit, Littleton, and Morrow. 

I understand what you're saying, but I don't see Parsons as a generational player. He's really good, but so are Jaelan Phillips, Trevon Moehrig, and Teven Jenkins.

21 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

exactly you put Parsons at MLB from DAY 1 and build the unit around him. figure out the outside between the 3 

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I understand what you're saying, but I don't see Parsons as a generational player. He's really good, but so are Jaelan Phillips, Trevon Moehrig, and Teven Jenkins.

I'm not saying he is once in a generation player, but he might be the Defensive player of the year ceiling and an potential all pro MLB. would suck to pass him over for a RT who will be a solid starter at a need, especially when we could draft a solid RT on day 2.

Edited by Humble_Beast

10 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I'm not saying he is once in a generation player, but he might be the Defensive player of the year ceiling and an potential all pro MLB. would suck to pass him over for a RT who will be a solid starter at a need, especially when we could draft a solid RT on day 2.

If he is that good, he would never make it to 17.