Raiders Defense

Rolni

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I completely agree about Abrams use and that was one hell of a catch also.

Watch the rest of the Edelman highlights besides like two or three other catches the rest of them were against Adams.

I hope point is that it’s the defensive coordinator‘s job to coordinate how the Defensive players are properly used. Paul Gunther and did not do that and that is a big part of went wrong. I’m not under selling that. I wouldn’t be surprised if a year from now we’re talking about how Gus Bradley was the biggest acquisition that we made to the defense LOL.

10 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yeah a big mistake I saw was getting rid of prince Amukamara and Demaryius Randall(The only two veterans in the secondary besides Jeff Heath) in a Covid year call before the season even started. And somehow Erik Harris is the guy you keep.

Erik Harris took a similar role that Carr took with the offense in the off-season.  I have not seen any evidence that he had his head up Gruden's butt like Carr but I would not be surprised.  To make it in Gruden's world you have to kiss the ring and those that speak up are shipped off.  That is why I loved Gannon.  He executed Gruden's offense but was not afraid to speak up and defend his decisions.  I loved watching those to yell at each other on the sideline.  I want to see Carr speak when Gruden makes a stupid play call that has not worked the previous 12 tries.  He gets made at the players or just yells something coming off the field and when he gets to Gruden it looks like he is asking what did I do wrong instead of telling Gruden that was a bad call.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Watch the rest of the Edelman highlights besides like two or three other catches the rest of them were against Adams.

I hope point is that it’s the defensive coordinator‘s job to coordinate how the Defensive players are properly used. Paul Gunther and did not do that and that is a big part of went wrong. I’m not under selling that. I wouldn’t be surprised if a year from now we’re talking about how Gus Bradley was the biggest acquisition that we made to the defense LOL.

I wanted to get rid of Guenther before we got rid of Pagano.  That was my first clue that we made a mistake bringing Gruden back.

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Arnette dealt with a lot of last year. did him favors. They needed a vet corner on instead handed him and left him to play through injury. It was mismanaged all the way around. I'm intrigued to see what he can do this season. Agree, he's got a toughness you like to see.

He's no star. But I don't think he's a bust either. I just think it's too early to write him off in favor of ANOTHER 1st round corner.

8 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I wanted to get rid of Guenther before we got rid of Pagano.  That was my first clue that we made a mistake bringing Gruden back.

I’m not gonna lie I didn’t know much about him. It wasn’t until he got fired that I found out that he never coach the defense that had a player younger than 24 on it and never coached any rookie starters during his time with Cincinnati. I suspect the reason why he was hired and why he was employed so long is because him and Gruden are really good friends. I believe that’s one of the few things that Gruden really has to answer for. A lot of the other stuff I can at least understand but that one is the trashest  thing that he’s done so far.

23 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I’m not gonna lie I didn’t know much about him. It wasn’t until he got fired that I found out that he never coach the defense that had a player younger than 24 on it and never coached any rookie starters during his time with Cincinnati. I suspect the reason why he was hired and why he was employed so long is because him and Gruden are really good friends. I believe that’s one of the few things that Gruden really has to answer for. A lot of the other stuff I can at least understand but that one is the trashest  thing that he’s done so far.

I know Cable gets a lot of credit around here but he is similar to Guenther.  He has done well with the most expensive o-line in the league.  Yes we had injuries last year so he did not have all the high profile players but the play of the line fell off when the injuries took place.  I would give Cable more credit but for every good move he has a stupid one.  Ritchie was a good signing but his age leads to situations like last year.  1 good year and 1 year on the IR.  Brown was a really good player but we had to over pay for him to ride the bench.  We drafted Miller but then passed on Orlando Brown for Parker.  Hudson and Jackson were already here and you could say Jackson's play took a step back.  Good was a good move but he is just good.  So we have no RT, question mark at C, and huge injury risk at LG.  It could work out but I do not have a lot of confidence in them turning this line into a strength next year.  I like James, Incognito, Good, and Miller.  Just to many ?'s without even worrying about depth.

6 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I know Cable gets a lot of credit around here but he is similar to Guenther.  He has done well with the most expensive o-line in the league.  Yes we had injuries last year so he did not have all the high profile players but the play of the line fell off when the injuries took place.  I would give Cable more credit but for every good move he has a stupid one.  Ritchie was a good signing but his age leads to situations like last year.  1 good year and 1 year on the IR.  Brown was a really good player but we had to over pay for him to ride the bench.  We drafted Miller but then passed on Orlando Brown for Parker.  Hudson and Jackson were already here and you could say Jackson's play took a step back.  Good was a good move but he is just good.  So we have no RT, question mark at C, and huge injury risk at LG.  It could work out but I do not have a lot of confidence in them turning this line into a strength next year.  I like James, Incognito, Good, and Miller.  Just to many ?'s without even worrying about depth.

I actually like cable. The office of line has been expensive but They've also Never played together even two times in a row. I want to see what he does this year with all of the changes. 

37 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I actually like cable. The office of line has been expensive but They've also Never played together even two times in a row. I want to see what he does this year with all of the changes. 

Like I said they could pull it off but I think we are more likely to have a QB that is running for his life like Russell Wilson.  If you play fantasy football Drake would be a good pickup if you are in a PPR league.  Going to be like 2018 when Richard had 68 catches.  Just how I see it and Cable will be partly to blame.  If we had Hudson at C still or signed an above average RT I would feel a lot better.  Instead we signed a backup C before a capable starting RT.  Now we are going to rely on a rookie most likely.  I think Cable is a little to confident and I believe it will come back to haunt us this year.  Incognito will most likely be gone 2022, hopefully we have a good RT, and hopefully James works out.  If we had 3-4 question marks on the front 7 we would be losing it right now.

What I gather is we've resigned to Abram's ceiling being a role player on defense?

We've given up on him ever being any sort pro bowl or franchise level talent you'd hope to draft in round 1?

Basically don't pick up the 5th year option and he's another 1 and done Raider draft pick.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

What I gather is we've resigned to Abram's ceiling being a role player on defense?

We've given up on him ever being any sort pro bowl or franchise level talent you'd hope to draft in round 1?

Basically don't pick up the 5th year option and he's another 1 and done Raider draft pick.

If you consider Jamal Adams a role player because he can’t covers wrs. Then yeah all box safeties are role players

9 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

If you consider Jamal Adams a role player because he can’t covers wrs. Then yeah all box safeties are role players

Just stop this comparison. Adams is far more talented player. Better instincts and feel for the game. 

DJ Swearinger is a more accurate comparison. 

29 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Just stop this comparison. Adams is far more talented player. Better instincts and feel for the game. 

Why don't we see Abram first in this new scheme and then we decide this "debate"?

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Then why can’t he cover 33 year old Julian Edelman who in his prime ran 4.5? 

Edited by Jeremy408

51 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Then why can’t he cover 33 year old Julian Edelman who in his prime ran 4.5? 

I love when posters use one play as if that defines the player. 

Adams has shown to be a competent play maker with 21.5 sacks, 29 TFL, 7 FF and 28 pass deflections. He plays with great instincts as an all around safety. He's played with plenty of competence in coverage on his way to 2 pro-bowls and an all-pro selection.

Abram has show no ball skills, no ability to read defense. No instincts. Need I go on? They started using him down hill as a blitzer late in the season, he managed to do nothing with those attempts.

I'm saying he has zero instincts to be successful in any role. He's athetlic enough, tough and rangy. He lacks mental skills that cannot be taught.