Raiders Defense

Rolni

22 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Funny how his highlights video is half interviews and half actual plays. The football starts at 5:51 btw. When he does hit someone it is freaking hard, no doubt about it. I wish he would play more controlled because he could be a fun player. No doubt he has a shorter leash after our recent S additions.

The first play is him taking Gareon Conley out, lol.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Hayward was actually a very nice late signing, he has been PFF's highest rated CB since 2016 and knows the system. He's obviously older now but I think he can still be an above average starter for us. 

I'll take even average honestly. I think he is still a fine corner, even if he's not a pro bowler anymore.

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Hayward was actually a very nice late signing, he has been PFF's highest rated CB since 2016 and knows the system. He's obviously older now but I think he can still be an above average starter for us. 

It also ensures that we get the best Arnette whether he shows that he’s good enough to start this year or whether he sits for a year behind Hayward 

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

It also ensures that we get the best Arnette whether he shows that he’s good enough to start this year or whether he sits for a year behind Hayward 

I am hoping they are open to playing Arnette in the slot if Heyward is better.  If Arnette shows that is his best position then we get another outside CB next year.  I know he was a 1st rounder but you have to play where you provide the greatest benefit to the team.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I am hoping they are open to playing Arnette in the slot if Heyward is better.  If Arnette shows that is his best position then we get another outside CB next year.  I know he was a 1st rounder but you have to play where you provide the greatest benefit to the team.  

I’m not entirely opposed to that. It depends on who the corner is

On 5/7/2021 at 1:48 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

Funny how his highlights video is half interviews and half actual plays. The football starts at 5:51 btw. When he does hit someone it is freaking hard, no doubt about it. I wish he would play more controlled because he could be a fun player. No doubt he has a shorter leash after our recent S additions.

hate the way he plays. yes he laid a good hit on CMC who was basically standing still in the backfield at the time of impact. but he's a very poor tackler. the play at 6:28 is what he seems to do all the time. he gets really small and launches like a missile, instead of getting wide and making form tackles

there's a time and place for attempted tackles like that, like when coming down the alley and trying to avoid blocks. that led to the good hits against buffalo and cleveland (hunt)... but he seems to do that all the time even when its not called for. and then there's his complete lack of coverage ability or instinct.

i'm not even sure he's a good box safety with his tackling form. do we know he's capable of dealing with or shedding blockers or is he only "effective" when he has a full head of steam?

Edited by Turnobili

5 hours ago, Turnobili said:

hate the way he plays. yes he laid a good hit on CMC who was basically standing still in the backfield at the time of impact. but he's a very poor tackler. the play at 6:28 is what he seems to do all the time. he gets really small and launches like a missile, instead of getting wide and making form tackles

there's a time and place for attempted tackles like that, like when coming down the alley and trying to avoid blocks. that led to the good hits against buffalo and cleveland (hunt)... but he seems to do that all the time even when its not called for. and then there's his complete lack of coverage ability or instinct.

i'm not even sure he's a good box safety with his tackling form. do we know he's capable of dealing with or shedding blockers or is he only "effective" when he has a full head of steam?

Time will tell. There’s a lot that needs to happen for him to succeed:

- the coaches need to have a clear tactical plan for him

- they have to have the correct amount of support for him to completely alter his mental outlook towards the game

- he has to listen to the coaches and make a concerted effort to do what they instruct him to and have the willingness to temper his overly emotional style

- he has to have the skill set and actual footballing ability to do his job - cover, tackle, communicate. Bradley’s SS have a lot of responsibility. Does he actually have the ability to do the role?

Honestly, I would say it is more likely than not that at least one of the above does not happen and it could be the case that none of them do. And it looks like the coaching staff may have realised this, hence targeting safeties and box players in the off season.

20 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Deablo will be interesting to watch this year, hopefully he's better than Muse, lol.

Well, we have no idea what type of player Muse can be either...........

Hopefully they'll both become players that can be productive or have strong roles within the team. I hated the draft value of picking Muse so high but I do like him as a prospect and think he could be a decent player given a little patience and good coaching........

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Well, we have no idea what type of player Muse can be either...........

Hopefully they'll both become players that can be productive or have strong roles within the team. I hated the draft value of picking Muse so high but I do like him as a prospect and think he could be a decent player given a little patience and good coaching........

Muse might be decent but based on last season I don't have a ton of confidence that he'll be anything more than a special teams guy.

36 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Muse might be decent but based on last season I don't have a ton of confidence that he'll be anything more than a special teams guy.

It's one of those wait and see things. It's a little concerning that we have so many of those though..........

Just now, Darbsk said:

It's one of those wait and see things. It's a little concerning that we have so many of those though..........

A third round pick that was reportedly so bad in training camp he wasn't even going to make the team despite us having zero LB depth is pretty bad...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

A third round pick that was reportedly so bad in training camp he wasn't even going to make the team despite us having zero LB depth is pretty bad...

I would take those reports with a pinch of salt, they also had White making the team, guys like Key, Doss and Zay Jones tearing it up so I'm still in wait and see mode 🙂

Edited by Darbsk