Raiders Defense

Rolni

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Jefferson is a decent rotational piece but he produced at a similar level to Mo Hurst. Thomas could be a sleeper but he never really did much on a stacked defensive line in San Francisco. 

I don't disagree, but didn't SF also try and play him out of his natural position? 

35 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I don't disagree, but didn't SF also try and play him out of his natural position? 

From what I read yes (DE) but he also played 3T at times.  The biggest red flag for me is that Saleah was in the market for a 3T, has the most knowledge about Thomas and didn't even throw an offer at him.  I like Thomas upside potential but I am not holding my breath that he turns into a pro bowler.   

• Like 2

On 6/14/2021 at 6:07 PM, ronjon1990 said:

He had a ton of injuries during his time there and just wasn't ever really effective. Even dating back to his days at Stanford he has always been an athletic freak that has struggled to produce consistently. 

On 6/14/2021 at 6:45 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

From what I read yes (DE) but he also played 3T at times.  The biggest red flag for me is that Saleah was in the market for a 3T, has the most knowledge about Thomas and didn't even throw an offer at him.  I like Thomas upside potential but I am not holding my breath that he turns into a pro bowler.   

I think one of the biggest issues with Thomas, even dating back to his days at Stanford, is that he has extremely small hands for a defensive lineman which is one of the main reasons he has always struggled to finish sacks. 

On 6/14/2021 at 5:41 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

I am actually more confident in Philon than Thomas because he's played at a pretty decent level before.

Philon's best two seasons were equivalent to Mo Hurst level production and he hasn't played in 2 years. 

• Like 1

Long way to go but based on early reports from camp I'd expect our primary defense (nickel) to be:

Crosby - Thomas - Hankins - Yannick 

Littleton - Morrow 

Mullen - Lawson - Hayward

Abram - Moehrig 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Long way to go but based on early reports from camp I'd expect our primary defense (nickel) to be:

Crosby - Thomas - Hankins - Yannick 

Littleton - Morrow 

Mullen - Lawson - Hayward

Abram - Moehrig 

Not terrible....

But man, I can't imagine both Hankins and Thomas, Lawson, or even Morrow starting over some of the guys we passed up in favor of depth picks during the draft. 

I could be wrong, and I'll gladly be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong, but from a quality standpoint....I just feel like we did a near minimal in terms of fixing key issues- namely IDL and NCB- if that indeed is our lineup. 

On 6/14/2021 at 6:45 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

Here’s the thing I’ve heard your take on that before (which I don’t necessarily disagree with) but at the same time, Selah is also the guy who didn’t play I’m at the right position in the first place so of course I don’t think that he would’ve been looking for him in FA.

It’s like saying why wasn’t Frank Reich looking for Nelson Agholor last year even though they needed a receiver. 

Edited by Jeremy408

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Not terrible....

But man, I can't imagine both Hankins and Thomas, Lawson, or even Morrow starting over some of the guys we passed up in favor of depth picks during the draft. 

I could be wrong, and I'll gladly be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong, but from a quality standpoint....I just feel like we did a near minimal in terms of fixing key issues- namely IDL and NCB- if that indeed is our lineup. 

I did say from the beginning that Lawson wasn’t actually bad in the slot he’s just completely trash on the outside. That being said I still think I Nate Hobbs starts. 

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I did say from the beginning that Lawson wasn’t actually bad in the slot he’s just completely trash on the outside. That being said I still think I Nate Hobbs starts. 

We'll see how he looks when the pads come on in training camp

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

If Arnette doesn't start....that's not good. 

Ferrell and Arnette both being off the field in our base package AND Abram remaining a liability (assumption).....that would be an atrocious indictment of Mayock and Gruden, particularly if Jacobs can't rebound a bit and/or Ruggs' "progress" is the typical coachspeak I've come to expect from this staff. 

7 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Ferrell and Arnette both being off the field in our base package AND Abram remaining a liability (assumption).....that would be an atrocious indictment of Mayock and Gruden, particularly if Jacobs can't rebound a bit and/or Ruggs' "progress" is the typical coachspeak I've come to expect from this staff. 

An “ Atrocious indictment “ would still be putting its nicely. I mean my goodness Gus B has his work cut out for him 

19 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

The fact that we drafted 2 safeties, signed Karl Joseph, drafted Hobbs, and signed those other 2 veteran CB's is pretty telling in terms how Bradley feels about Arnette and Abram. They'll both have to earn their spots this season, which is good because they shouldn't get scholarships for being former 1st round picks. 

I think another issue is that we pretty much drafted Ferrell, Arnette, and Abram because they fit Guenther's "scheme" and they don't fit Bradleys. 

If Crosby has added weight and is looking as impressive as everyone says he is, then it should be him and Yannick on the edges in our base defense.