Raiders Defense

Rolni

Waiting for Amik to get cut so he can latch on somewhere as a #2 or #3 outside CB

Recall that Chris Harris chose the Chargers over us because we insisted he play outside because we already had Joyner in the slot. 

we have a truly bizarre way of pigeonholing players and being completely stubborn about it

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

According to Vic, Arnette has been seen as an afterthought. He’s not taking snaps in the slot and is squarely behind Hayward and Mullen. Lawson has been manning the slot with Hobbs and Amik battling there as well

And this yesterday but this was what I was hoping for. I was hoping that Arnette would year behind a veteran that actually has credentials. The only negative on this in my mind is that Arnette is already 25. But I thought this is what they should've done last year when they had Prince Amukamara. 

20 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

And this yesterday but this was what I was hoping for. I was hoping that Arnette would year behind a veteran that actually has credentials. The only negative on this in my mind is that Arnette is already 25. But I thought this is what they should've done last year when they had Prince Amukamara. 

This speaks volumes about our scouting and drafting though, and would have undermined Mayock's already suspect ability. 

His whole excuse was "Arnette is pro-ready" with a high floor. He clearly wasn't, was clearly a reach, and now that much is obvious. His supposed "fall back" of playing the slot is showing to be....questionable at best as well. 

And people wonder why some of us seethe on draft day lol. 

Not only do we have no f'ing clue when it comes to value, our scouting is suspect as hell and, in Arnette's defense (I cannot believe I'm defending him), we make it worse by forcing guys to play who aren't ready in a weak attempt to save face. 

Ferrell had no business starting from the start, but we took him at 4 and basically HAD to. He's had to learn on the fly on a bad D-line with terrible coverage from the secondary. 

Abram had no business starting with his poor coverage skills and lack of functional discipline, but he was a 1st rounder so we HAD to start him early. 

Jacobs has had a strong career thus far, but it would've been nice to ease him in alongside a solid vet presence, mostly to keep him fresh and free of wear and tear. But we neglected to address RB in any other way, and it's shown. 

Arnette had no business as a starting CB in the NFL, but we tool him for his "pro-readiness" and failed to address CB in any other real meaningful way, so we HAD to start him...

Heck, Henry Ruggs' route running, which was supposedly one of his premier traits, was so suspect that he hardly had an impact as the first WR taken while other WRs absolutely flourished. The fact is, Henry Ruggs likely wouldn't have seen the field as much for virtually any other team in the league except for maybe the freakin Jets. He has this year to improve, but my point is we again chose the "wrong" guy for an impact and forced him in because we had virtually nothing else to work with. 

Every single pick we've made in the first in the last 4 years has been viewed widely as a reach in some way, shape, or form. Every one of them were given the "they were #1 on our board" excuse (maybe our board sucks then?) and clearly forced into action before really being ready because we have been the absolute pits bringing guys in who could help bring young guys along. 

I'll be honest- I have hated the Ferrell, Jacobs, Abram, Arnette, Ruggs, and now the Leatherwood pick since they were announced. I thought they were all taken too early and above better talent, often at the same position. But I feel for the guys. I may criticize to varying degrees, but I have no doubt of their passion for the game and the level of work they put in to try and succeed. I doubt any of them want to be considered losers or busts. 

But this staff and front office have done an absolutely miserable job of building a good team. It's like a broken record. With the exception of Jacobs, who I already want to be used less, I can only imagine how some of these guys might've turned out if not pressed into action so early because we simply had nothing and they got the 1st round tag strapped to them. People can use the good ole "Other teams indicate so-and-so wouldn't have been there later" excuse we hear all the time, but the fact remains the Raiders are the ones consistently suckered into them and bad trades to the point of being memes. 

You're 100% spot on with your desire for certain guys to sit a year. Unfortunately, we're utterly incompetent when it comes to decision making and bringing in talent to make that a possibility without it taking someone practically busting first. In Arnette's case, he probably won't be on the team in 2 years with falling out of favor and not being talented enough to overcome that steep of a learning curve on the fly. Ferrell, he probably falls out of favor once Yannick and Crosby (who was pure dumb luck and we all know it) form one hell of a duo. Abram is most certainly on notice already. And I think that's absolutely shameful.. 

We can "draft"....but we sure as hell can't "develop". 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turnobili said:

According to Vic, Arnette has been seen as an afterthought. He’s not taking snaps in the slot and is squarely behind Hayward and Mullen. Lawson has been manning the slot with Hobbs and Amik battling there as well

It's just OTA's...

50 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

He already looked terrible. I truly cannot believe people defended the pick last year and then defended his quality of play throughout the season. 

Who defended his quality of play last season or the pick? 

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Prince didn't even play last season, dude's washed.