Jump to content

Raiders Defense


Recommended Posts

this is ultimately pretty predictable. almost everybody acknowledged that arnette was a reach at the time, except for the eternal homers who always play the "there's no such thing as a reach" card... and then have the surprised pikachu face when these picks dont pan out.

for the last 20 years the raiders have been consistently criticized for their draft picks... fans get defensive and claim its just the media out to get the raiders, and then the raiders draft picks almost all end up terrible.

this is the way

Link to post
Share on other sites

the one time i can remember the raiders draft getting a lot of praise was 2014, and oh wow, it turned out to be our best draft class in decades... not just for production on our team (even besides the 2 headliners, Gabe had a good career here, and Carrie/Ellis gave us some good years), but also a guy like Shelby Harris who is now a big money player on a division rival

maybe when there seems to be an overwhelming consensus on a draft being good or bad, it has some meaning to it...

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

this is ultimately pretty predictable. almost everybody acknowledged that arnette was a reach at the time, except for the eternal homers who always play the "there's no such thing as a reach" card... and then have the surprised pikachu face when these picks dont pan out.

for the last 20 years the raiders have been consistently criticized for their draft picks... fans get defensive and claim its just the media out to get the raiders, and then the raiders draft picks almost all end up terrible.

this is the way

Biggest issue with our draft strategy is that we reach on guys with average athletic traits that played well at big programs surrounded by other future NFL players. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

This is the biggest reach I've read on here in a while.

Damon will be 25 as a second year player and the value in taking him early was that he was supposedly NFL ready. He struggled badly last season and has limited upside because he lacks elite physical tools.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Biggest issue with our draft strategy is that we reach on guys with average athletic traits that played well at big programs surrounded by other future NFL players. 

Next biggest issue being that most of us who regularly post here really do have better picks. 

I remember the mocks vividly. Some players, we agreed on, some we didn't. Same goes for several other posters. And it goes back more than just this year. 

The only thing separating us from Mayock and Gruden anymore is that they chose a career in football and we didn't, so apologists call us "armchair GMs" in derogatory manners. 

Our hit rate is phenomenal in comparison with the guys actually being paid to make picks lol

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Next biggest issue being that most of us who regularly post here really do have better picks. 

Agreed. Taking Ferrell over Allen, Burns, and White was such a terrible decision.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Damon will be 25 as a second year player and the value in taking him early was that he was supposedly NFL ready. He struggled badly last season and has limited upside because he lacks elite physical tools.

Expecting any corner to be good in year 1 is a stretch. On top of that, he has plenty of physical gifts to be a good corner. Athleticism is overrated for corners. There are very few uber athletes at the corner position. A lot of the best were technicians with high football IQ.

Arnette may never be a good corner, but it won't have anything to do with his physical skills. He's physical and can definitely run. Can he become smarter and develop a quicker trigger is really what will make or break him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Expecting any corner to be good in year 1 is a stretch. On top of that, he has plenty of physical gifts to be a good corner. Athleticism is overrated for corners. There are very few uber athletes at the corner position. A lot of the best were technicians with high football IQ.

Arnette may never be a good corner, but it won't have anything to do with his physical skills. He's physical and can definitely run. Can he become smarter and develop a quicker trigger is really what will make or break him.

The reason we reached on him was because he was supposed to be a guy that could step in start right away. IIRC Arnette is the only CB ever drafted in the 1st round with sub 4.5 speed and 30" arms. Nothing Arnette showed last season leads me to believe he will ever be a good starter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The reason we reached on him was because he was supposed to be a guy that could step in start right away. IIRC Arnette is the only CB ever drafted in the 1st round with sub 4.5 speed and 30" arms. Nothing Arnette showed last season leads me to believe he will ever be a good starter.

I mean athleticism is subjective. He can get in and out of his breaks very well. He also has long speed. Kollmann showed pretty clearly that they started the clock early. He also had one of the lowest passer ratings allowed in the country. 
 

I still think we should have moved down, but talent is not the issue. Developing him and him living up to it is the key. Again he may not, but he had plenty of positives coming out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I mean athleticism is subjective. He can get in and out of his breaks very well. He also has long speed. Kollmann showed pretty clearly that they started the clock early. He also had one of the lowest passer ratings allowed in the country. 
 

I still think we should have moved down, but talent is not the issue. Developing him and him living up to it is the key. Again he may not, but he had plenty of positives coming out.

Arnette was not a bad player coming out but I think with the information we had at the time of the draft he was not a 1st round pick.  I wanted him in the 2nd with Kinlaw and Jefferson in the 1st.  I wonder how we would have drafted without Guenther the past 3 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I mean athleticism is subjective. He can get in and out of his breaks very well. He also has long speed. Kollmann showed pretty clearly that they started the clock early. He also had one of the lowest passer ratings allowed in the country. 
 

I still think we should have moved down, but talent is not the issue. Developing him and him living up to it is the key. Again he may not, but he had plenty of positives coming out.

He was a 2nd-3rd round guy on most boards though because of his lack of elite physical traits. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Prince couldn't even make an NFL roster. 


1. lol that’s like saying Erik Harris is better than ha ha Clinton Dix(because Erik Harris was on an NFL roster last year)

Realistically do you think Erik Harris or  Lawson would would make any roster besides ours. Erik Harris was in the CFL/running a potato factory before we picked him up. Lawson can’t resist a PED to save his life. 

2. You never actually answered my question lol

Edited by Jeremy408
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Turnobili said:

this is ultimately pretty predictable. almost everybody acknowledged that arnette was a reach at the time, except for the eternal homers who always play the "there's no such thing as a reach" card... and then have the surprised pikachu face when these picks dont pan out.

for the last 20 years the raiders have been consistently criticized for their draft picks... fans get defensive and claim its just the media out to get the raiders, and then the raiders draft picks almost all end up terrible.

this is the way

Whether Arnette turns out to be a bust or not, it can’t be determined after 7 games and a report from Vic Tafur in mini camp. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...