Raiders Defense

Rolni

6 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

It's pretty sad that we had the number 4 overall pick 3 years ago, Ferrell isn't a sure fire starter and is now considered a rotational piece.  You want to know why we are considered the worst D of the decade?  This is a prime example....  Don't get me started on Arnette either. 

We spent 1sts on:

Ferrell (4)

Jacobs (24)

Abram (27

Ruggs (12)

Arnette (19). 

Ferrell is a rotational piece. Jacobs has been given the DeMarco Murray treatment and seems banged up all the time with diminished efficiency. Both are ?'s to the point that we spent big/prioritized in FA with Yannick and Drake. Ferrell really hasn't earned a second contract, and at this rate Jacobs might not even be worth one given wear and tear. 

Abram is ostensibly already on the hot seat with the moves we made. And he should be. Dude is drizzling turds on the field. 

Ruggs is 100% potential only as he proved not one single iota last year. We can be optimistic, but make no mistake, his route running was called out, he's tiny and was banged up, and did very little statistically. Optimism is ALL he is right now. 

Arnette....looks like he's already on the outside looking in, which says a lot considering our CB quality. 

5 first round picks over a 2 year period and the only proven quality starter is a RB who isn't exactly considered "ascending". 

By the end of the  2023 season, I wouldn't be overly surprised if 3 of those 5 are gone. Ruggs might be around since he's a wildcard right now. And Jacobs is, imo, a 50/50 depending on health/production. 

Bad drafting is an understatement. On D, we've gone 0-3 in impact D players in 2 years. And we're not just talking "meh, they're average", we're talking "all 3 could be gone soon". 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

It's pretty sad that we had the number 4 overall pick 3 years ago, Ferrell isn't a sure fire starter and is now considered a rotational piece.  You want to know why we are considered the worst D of the decade?  This is a prime example....  Don't get me started on Arnette either. 

Why should Ferrell be considered a sure fire starter over Yannick or Maxx?

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Abram is ostensibly already on the hot seat with the moves we made. And he should be. Dude is drizzling turds on the field. 

Arnette....looks like he's already on the outside looking in, which says a lot considering our CB quality. 

Our only hope is that Abram takes out Arnette like he took out Conley.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

He was the number 4 overall pick in the 1st round two years ago.  You don't draft backup/ rotational pieces in the the first 5 picks of the draft.  Top 5 players need to be elite impact studs or heads need to roll.... How is that not obvious?

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I sure do understand this stance, but Maxx and Yannick are just pass rushers.  Cle, is projected to me a more rounded player when it comes to the run.  He's more of a base end than the other two who are suspect against the run.  At this point if I had full faith in the LBs or we drafted a missile like Devin White who can seek out a runner like no one else I'd say play Maxx and Yannick.  But, we'll get ran all over if those two start.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Totty said:

I sure do understand this stance, but Maxx and Yannick are just pass rushers.  Cle, is projected to me a more rounded player when it comes to the run.  He's more of a base end than the other two who are suspect against the run.  At this point if I had full faith in the LBs or we drafted a missile like Devin White who can seek out a runner like no one else I'd say play Maxx and Yannick.  But, we'll get ran all over if those two start.  

Ferrell offers absolutely nothing as a pass rusher, 6.5 sacks in 26 games, 4.5 sacks came against the Jets and Chargers. Ferrell was supposed to be a stout run defender and we had one of the worst run defenses in the league last year.

59 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

He was the number 4 overall pick in the 1st round two years ago.  You don't draft backup/ rotational pieces in the the first 5 picks of the draft.  Top 5 players need to be elite impact studs or heads need to roll.... How is that not obvious?

So draft position > production, talent, and consistency on the field? Mariota should be the starter over Carr if that's the case, former #2 overall pick.

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Ferrell offers absolutely nothing as a pass rusher, 6.5 sacks in 26 games, 4.5 sacks came against the Jets and Chargers. Ferrell was supposed to be a stout run defender and we had one of the worst run defenses in the league last year.

Well when you get your wish of having Maxx and Yan start, be ready.  

5 hours ago, Totty said:

Well when you get your wish of having Maxx and Yan start, be ready.  

It would be a different story if Ferrell was like really good at stopping the run. But even his biggest defenders can only point to him being pretty decent. It's not like he's a run stopping beast or anything.

That's the problem, imo. Even what he's "good" at, he's just average. That's not good enough for a top 5 pick.

Dude went from "I hope he can get 7 or 8 sacks per year" to "Well, he's ok at stopping the run" real quick. 

If Yannick and Crosby can form the outside pass rush duo they're capable of being, that'll mask some of the deficiencies in stopping the run, as opposing OCs would have to start being fairly one-dimensional. Look at what Tampa's pass rush reduced Mahomes to. No, we aren't Tampa, but they showed us all how to put a hurting on great mobile gunslingers. 

If our pass rush and coverage is good enough, we'll be able to call the runs better, which should lead to better results. Sticking with what we did last year and just cycling out Crosby for Yannick certainly isn't going to do much. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1