Raiders Defense

Rolni

8 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

It would be a different story if Ferrell was like really good at stopping the run. But even his biggest defenders can only point to him being pretty decent. It's not like he's a run stopping beast or anything.

That's the problem, imo. Even what he's "good" at, he's just average. That's not good enough for a top 5 pick.

Dude went from "I hope he can get 7 or 8 sacks per year" to "Well, he's ok at stopping the run" real quick. 

If Yannick and Crosby can form the outside pass rush duo they're capable of being, that'll mask some of the deficiencies in stopping the run, as opposing OCs would have to start being fairly one-dimensional. Look at what Tampa's pass rush reduced Mahomes to. No, we aren't Tampa, but they showed us all how to put a hurting on great mobile gunslingers. 

If our pass rush and coverage is good enough, we'll be able to call the runs better, which should lead to better results. Sticking with what we did last year and just cycling out Crosby for Yannick certainly isn't going to do much. 

I disagree with this. I like Ferrell and think he is a very good run stopper who plays technically very sound and is very disciplined in his assignments. Now, that's not to say he was a good pick at 4 and he'll never be an elite pass rusher. I do however, expect him to be a decent pass rusher and to collect around 6 sacks per season. I don't think he's a terrible pass rusher, just limited in speed and bend and explosion.

I don't think he was value at 4 and he is a question mark to even get a second contract unless he has a good year, I'm not arguing that he wasn't overdrafted but I do think he will play quite well this year and is nota liability like some suggest. I also don't think that Crosby is quite as bad a run defender as he's being labelled. He's not great but I think our scheme had him crashing in a lot and he has got a great wingspan and plays with great motor, was also playing injured too. He does get moved around and struggles to set the edge but he should be better run defending too this year with growth and hopefully injury free.

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I disagree with this. I like Ferrell and think he is a very good run stopper who plays technically very sound and is very disciplined in his assignments. Now, that's not to say he was a good pick at 4 and he'll never be an elite pass rusher. I do however, expect him to be a decent pass rusher and to collect around 6 sacks per season. I don't think he's a terrible pass rusher, just limited in speed and bend and explosion.

He hasn't shown anything to indicate he can ever even be around a 6 sack type player. He has 6.5 career sacks and 4.5 came in 2 games against terrible OL. So basically Ferrell is Josh Mauro and deserves to start because he was a high pick.

23 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He hasn't shown anything to indicate he can ever even be around a 6 sack type player. He has 6.5 career sacks and 4.5 came in 2 games against terrible OL. So basically Ferrell is Josh Mauro and deserves to start because he was a high pick.

Yes he has if you stop looking at the stats and watch the film. Great use of hands, technique, strong motor, good leverage and he should have better pass rushers working alongside him too if Crosby is healthy and Ngakoue lives up to potential. He needs to develop counter moves and better pass rush plans to trick opponents. I think he deserves to start as he's not shown his potential consistently but he is best suited for the big DE role that Ngakoue, Crosby and Koonce aren't, he's the best fit there. He absolutely dominated the very highly rated Becton in one of those starts you're so keen to point out. Go back and watch the film, he's superb that game. Beats him inside, beats him outside, manhandles him, obviously he needs to do that regularly though - no argument there and once a season or twice a season is not enough......agreed.

Now, that being said he has underperformed and been hit with illness, injury and some misfortune and he does need to play better and more consistently no doubt and not arguing he has underwhelmed. I think this year he comes good. He's my break out player (again) 😀. Also I wouldn't argue he's been a bust so far for his draft slot, you expect more from that slot but it is what it is and he's on the team now so I hope they pick the best guys and I hope and expect a big pick up in his play this year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I see starting line 

Ferrell, Jefferson, Hankins, Max- but Yannick playing 70 percent of the snaps on either side of the line 

Do not be surprised to see Max and Yannick starting.  I think there is a reason why he was putting on weight.  Not saying I agree with it but 12 pounds is a lot.  There is also this “I think that Maxx and myself are the best duo that’s going to come hit the scene,” Ngakoue said.  Maybe one comes off the bench and Ferrell kicks inside a lot but that signals a issue with Ferrell.  

11 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I see starting line 

Ferrell, Jefferson, Hankins, Max- but Yannick playing 70 percent of the snaps on either side of the line 

That'll probably be one of the worst pass rushing DL's in the league. 

On 7/3/2021 at 3:48 AM, NYRaider said:

Carr was borderline elite the first 10 weeks of the season but crumbled over the last 6 games. 

I just dont understand why us Raider fans are trying to get rid of a guy who was 'Borderline elite' for over half the season. 
Do we not remember the Jamarcus Russell, McGloin, Bruce Gradkowski, Pryor, aaron brooks years? 
We finally havve a QB, who is not our biggest problem and we just wanna toss him out because he is 'soft'

• Like 1