Raiders Defense

Rolni

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

It’s not even that they didn’t try him at safety; its that he was a safety before he got here. 

and people think I’m making excuses for why the defense was so bad by blaming Gunther

With the Rams, Joyner played as a hybrid corner and inside linebacker in former coordinator Gregg Williams’ 4-3 scheme. Last season, he made 50 tackles, forced a fumble and deflected five passes.

Joyner said Rams general manager Les Snead and Kevin Demoff, vice president of football operations, knew of his desire to play safety.

“It’s been something I’ve been working toward my whole career,” Joyner said. “Unfortunately, I couldn’t be put in this position with the old staff.”

“And that’s what I like doing. At safety, I can see the whole field. I’m not in man-to-man every play. I get to use my strengths to run and hit, or run and go get the ball out of the air, things that I like doing.”

lmaoooo

Edited by NYRaider

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

It’s not even that they didn’t try him at safety; its that he was a safety before he got here. 

It's almost like...spending considerable resources on guys to come in and play a different position is probably not a very wise move......

#Deablo #Muse #Bowden 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rolni said:

Nah M.Lewis had that and we can say it for sure now IMO after his run with us.

The sad part in this is how Gruden was so blindfolded with this and how long he kept his guy...

He legit inherited one of the best defenses in the league from Zimmer and just used his same scheme. And that same defense actually declined in Guenther's first season. 

Gruden's faith in Guenther was pretty odd, especially since it played such a huge role in our draft strategy.

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's almost like...spending considerable resources on guys to come in and play a different position is probably not a very wise move......

#Deablo #Muse #Bowden 

Joyner literally begged the Rams to move him from NCB to FS, lol. Read my quote a couple posts up it makes the entire situation that much worse. 

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

#Deablo #Muse #Bowden 

my thing is it's one thing to draft them(I don't have a problem with that) it's another thing entirely to get a player that is one of the best in his position pay him a boatload of money and then switch his position to something else. And then as a team struggle a position for 2 years there's someone on the roster who could be one of the best in the NFL at the position you need

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He legit inherited one of the best defenses in the league from Zimmer and just used his same scheme. And that same defense actually declined in Guenther's first season. 

Gruden's faith in Guenther was pretty odd, especially since it played such a huge role in our draft strategy.

It's pretty obvious they were friends. They made every excuse to keep him while he produced no fruit for 3 years.

I heard they were supposed to fire him in 2019 but the defense played better like the last two games supposedly so he was able to make the case that they were improving. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

my thing is it's one thing to draft them(I don't have a problem with that) it's another thing entirely to get a player that is one of the best in his position pay him a boatload of money and then switch his position to something else. And then as a team struggle a position for 2 years there's someone on the roster who could be one of the best in the NFL at the position you need

We're just not really in a position to draft gadget players though, we lack quality starters at regular positions, lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We're just not really in a position to draft gadget players though, we lack quality starters at regular positions, lol.

The only one I didn't like for that was Lynn Bowden(because I felt like it was a necessary given the Style of offense we play.)

Defensively though I do think it's important that if you see someone has talent to play a certain position where they can be an asset (like linebacker for example) I think you do it especially in this defense.

The reason why I say that is because NFL is getting faster so anytime you can get faster at a position I think you go for it.

I think the reason why a lot of people have a sour taste in your mouth from that is because in order to have someone switch positions you have to have good coaches. I'm not even just talking about good coordinators calling a simple defense that people can pick up on fast. I'm also talking about position coaches that know how to it's a position to where someone who has never played it before can learn it fast(which is what we have now). 

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

The only one I didn't like for that was Lynn Bowden(because I felt like it was a necessary given the Style of offense we play.)

Defensively though I do think it's important that if you see someone has talent to play a certain position where they can be an asset (like linebacker for example) I think you do it especially in this defense.

The reason why I say that is because NFL is getting faster so anytime you can get faster at a position I think you go for it.

I think we were targeting Antonio Gibson but he came off the board a few picks earlier. 

The only issue that I have with it is that we reached on Tanner Muse last year and Javin White stuck around as an UDFA and we still drafted Deablo in the 3rd round this year. I can understand trying to add one former S and moving him to LB but having 3 as your only depth at the position is risky. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

I think we were targeting Antonio Gibson but he came off the board a few picks earlier. 

The only issue that I have with it is that we reached on Tanner Muse last year and Javin White stuck around as an UDFA and we still drafted Deablo in the 3rd round this year. I can understand trying to add one former S and moving him to LB but having 3 as your only depth at the position is risky. 

Tanner Muse currently looks good right now as an SLB. 

Javin White no one knew how he was going to turn out(he looks really good)

Deablo in the game against the Niners looked explosive and a freak of nature add the position that didn't know what he was doing. I could see him starting next year with a full off season...

Issues that we actually had were at back up WLB and MLB. 

At MLB which was more of the concern Kwiat we all expected to start before training camp will play which is not the worst thing in the world. The only reason why we aren't huge fans of it anymore is because we found out that the staff actually wants Nick Morrow to start so it's giving us the idea that Kwiat can't play which is not true. Even besides that we traded for Denzel Perryman it was been in the system for years and has actually played good when healthy. So we're pretty solid here

At WLB Cory Littleton is completely healthy. If hurt get hurt Deablo who should be more prepared with more practice as the season progresses will step in which I like him as a talented back up this year. And that only assumes that Littleton get hurt within the first three or four weeks. If Not Javin White(who I like more right now just because he's had more of an off-season to learn the position in the system) comes back by then.

I don't feel like we're in the position that we were around this time last week.

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Muse, White, and Deablo have never played a meaningful snap at LB in the NFL. 

Yeah but we can say that about every draft pick in this year's draft from the first round all the way to the seventh. That argument never made sense to me. At some point you have to see what you have.

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yeah but we can say that about every draft pick in this year's draft from the first round all the way to the seventh. That argument never made sense to me. At some point you have to see what you have.

None of those players have ever played a meaningful snap at LB in college either. Of course you could say Micah Parsons hasn't ever played a snap at LB in the NFL but he played the position in college, lol. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

None of those players have ever played a meaningful snap at LB in college either. Of course you could say Micah Parsons hasn't ever played a snap at LB in the NFL but he played the position in college, lol. 

OK you could say that Tyran Mathieu never played safety in college. Or that Brian Urlacher never played linebacker in college. There's a lot of people you can do that with lol

Edited by Jeremy408