Raiders Defense

Rolni

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The team signed KJ Wright and traded for Denzel Perryman because they knew we needed proven depth at LB. 

"I do way too much on the football field to take a discount," Wright said, via ESPN. "It makes absolutely no sense. If you want to win all these championships and look good on Sundays, you've got to compensate your guys that are making plays. ... I have a family and I'm trying to set up long, long-term success for my family."

Let's see how much he signed for

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

"I do way too much on the football field to take a discount," Wright said, via ESPN. "It makes absolutely no sense. If you want to win all these championships and look good on Sundays, you've got to compensate your guys that are making plays. ... I have a family and I'm trying to set up long, long-term success for my family."

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think we should all know by now just because Vic Tafur says something doesn't make it true lolol.

Remember about a month ago when the talk was that they thought Solomon Thomas was too small to play defensive tackle? What happened to that? lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Deion Jones- he's been a LB since High School...

Telvin Smith- was a LB at FSU....

Shaq Thompson- played all over Washington's D and was one of the best defenders in the country. Would've been a top 2 round pick at LB or S. 

Kyzir White- he's ok

Nick Morrow- pretty good, also UDFA

Deonne Bucannon- had a cup of coffee and hasn't stuck since. Clearly LB didn't really work out for him that well.

Mark Barron- good S, good LB. Was also considered among the best players in the nation coming out. Like Mathieu, proved he could actually make it in the NFL before moving spots. 

Danny Tevathan- was a LB at Kentucky...

Jones, Smith, Thompson, Barron, and Tevathan were drafted to play positions they actually played, and Thompson would've been drafted at like 3 positions. People forget just how dynamic he was at Washington. Barron was successful before switching.

White is ok. Bucannon flamed out and hasn't been able to stick at LB on some pretty barren squads. 

Morrow was a UDFA. Notice nobody criticizes Javin White? Because the investment was minimal. 

None of those guys that were drafted were drafted with the preconceived notion to switch their position with the exception of maybe Bucannon who ultimately flopped. White's move came during camp, though he was probably drafted to play LB. 

So of the guys you listed, 5 of the 7 are different situations altogether, 1 was a UDFA, one was a hit- sort of, while the other flamed out. 

Kyzir White is the lone draftee to be drafted with the intention of switching positions and still be relevant. Bucannon's time was pathetically brief (hint: don't take a guy like that that early). 

So both Deablo and Muse are pretty clear outliers...... pretty easy to explain really. 

Let me clarify: With Deion Jones, Telvin Smith and Danny Trevathan Kyzer White I mentioned them they were coached by either Richard Smith And/or Gus Bradley. That matters in regards to when they pick someone I have the track record of developing linebacker into good linebackers. So when they think Diablo play develop into weak side linebackers or Tanner Muse can develop into an SLB in their system I believe them. 

I did catch how you didn't criticize white(I respect the point)

But with Mark Barron he had zero history playing linebacker and he played safety for years both in college and in the NFL regardless of what anybody thinks of him he converts to a linebacker because Alec Ogletree gets hurt and thrives

Buchanan Believe he was drafted in the Bruce Arians era and was probably a good fit for whoever the defense of coordinator was but once Bruce Arians left whoever the new coaching staff was did not have a use for him. This is important because if you're going to draft a player especially if you convert them it has to work out for what you you do defensively. 

I think it's pretty clear that Diablo & Muse of the ability to be linebackers in this system and are being developed into those. Obviously with Diablo in particular Richard Smith the linebackers coach (who coached all of the people I mentioned above) find the table for Deablo. Who has the same if not better height weight speed measurable's as all of the players mentioned. Muse plays SLB so it doesn't apply exactly the same with all of them playing WLB but again if the staff believes that he can play they have the track record to make that case

Man I actually have hope for the defense

• Brought in an elite edge guy we haven't had since Mack. Yannick! his character been an issue, but has been a leader
  • Max is emerging, I think he breaks out to stardom this year
  • Philon, McCoy, Thomas all promising In the interior. McCoy looked good that last game
  • LB reinforcement in KJ and Perryman
  • Hobbs might be a steal and start in slot
  • not sure about Hayward as CB1 but better than what we had. Mullen is a solid starter and CB2
  • drafted the best free safety and is a day 1 starter
  • Gillespie was a day 2 pick we landed in the 4th, looked good in the last game
  • Bradley was a huge pickup too!

I don't expect a dominant defense, but I think a good goal would to be ranked 10-15. we have a shot at being average which would be worlds better

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Man I actually have hope for the defense

• Brought in an elite edge guy we haven't had since Mack. Yannick! his character been an issue, but has been a leader
  • Max is emerging, I think he breaks out to stardom this year
  • Philon, McCoy, Thomas all promising In the interior. McCoy looked good that last game
  • LB reinforcement in KJ and Perryman
  • Hobbs might be a steal and start in slot
  • not sure about Hayward as CB1 but better than what we had. Mullen is a solid starter and CB2
  • drafted the best free safety and is a day 1 starter
  • Gillespie was a day 2 pick we landed in the 4th, looked good in the last game
  • Bradley was a huge pickup too!

I don't expect a dominant defense, but I think a good goal would to be ranked 10-15. we have a shot at being average which would be worlds better

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

If we have a 15th ranked defense and the offense stays at the 8-12 range then that is a playoff team!

12 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I looked at last year in PPG. We go either 10-6/11-5 with 25ppg allowed.

I don't think 20th defense gets it done this year tho because I expect the Chargers and the Broncos offense to be better than they were last year. Maybe we level up too on offense and score more but that's why we play the games.

13 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I don't think 20th defense gets it done this year tho because I expect the Chargers and the Broncos offense to be better than they were last year. Maybe we level up too on offense and score more but that's why we play the games.

Possibly. I think we can allow more points if we get some turnovers. Some strip sacks and interceptions would be good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Possibly. I think we can allow more points if we get some turnovers. Some strip sacks and interceptions would be good.

That is a realistic with the players added on the defensive end and Bradley's scheme.

Turnovers forced

2017 - LAC 27 TO OAK 14

2018  - LAC 20 TO OAK 17

2019 - LAC 14 TO OAK 15

2020 - LAC 20 TO LVR 15

• Like 1