Jump to content

Raiders Defense


Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

That is a realistic with the players added on the defensive end and Bradley's scheme.

Turnovers forced

2017 - LAC 27 TO OAK 14

2018  - LAC 20 TO OAK 17

2019 - LAC 14 TO OAK 15

2020 - LAC 20 TO LVR 15

Honestly even 3-5 more turnovers is like an extra 2 games won.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I think we should all know by now just because Vic Tafur says something doesn't make it true lolol.

Remember about a month ago when the talk was that they thought Solomon Thomas was too small to play defensive tackle? What happened to that? lol

Gerald McCoy happened.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Honestly even 3-5 more turnovers is like an extra 2 games won.

 

4 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Forget turnovers. We just need to make people punt every once in a while.

Yup, some many long scoring drives in 2nd half those close loses last year when the offense was holding their own but the defense was just gassed. They then had to play conservative try to avoid big plays which opens up space for chuck yardage (1st downs). It was a maddening cycle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Gerald McCoy happened.

Yeah but I feel like they had that in the works the whole time rather than they saw what they had and said let's get McCoy. They were probably just waiting for him to get healthy. Very similar to what happen with Casey Hayward except Casey Hayward wanted to wait till after the draft

Edited by Jeremy408
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Edge- Yannick, Koonce

DT- McCoy, Philon, Solomon, Jefferson

LB- Wright, Perryman, Deablo

CB- Hayward, Hobbs

S- Moehrig, Gillespie 

so much new talent on the defensive side

Sad part is that list alone is better than what we trotted out last year lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yeah but I feel like they had that in the works the whole time rather than they saw what they had and said let's get McCoy. They were probably just waiting for him to get healthy. Very similar to what happen with Casey Hayward except Casey Hayward wanted to wait till after the draft

That is possible but we brought in so many DTs.  I think they had guys in mind but the contract they gave Thomas makes me think they want him to play a much bigger role without having to bring in more players.  I can only speculate what they were thinking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

That is possible but we brought in so many DTs.  I think they had guys in mind but the contract they gave Thomas makes me think they want him to play a much bigger role without having to bring in more players.  I can only speculate what they were thinking.

I looks like this year the were determined to not get 3T wrong. Plus In this defense, you need as many pass rushers as you can get

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, roi34 said:

if you're not excited about this defense a little now, then you'll never be. 

I'm excited for sure, but I still want to wait until 4-5 games in before I start talking about how great our defense is.  People saying we have a roster capable of being in the 10-15 range is really pushing it.  I still think we're more likely to end up in the 16-24 range, and I would be so freaking happy if we somehow are in the top 16-19 range lol.  Just because we've been in the 20s and lower for like 18 of the past 20 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I'm excited for sure, but I still want to wait until 4-5 games in before I start talking about how great our defense is.  People saying we have a roster capable of being in the 10-15 range is really pushing it.  I still think we're more likely to end up in the 16-24 range, and I would be so freaking happy if we somehow are in the top 16-19 range lol.  Just because we've been in the 20s and lower for like 18 of the past 20 years.

I say 10-15 is possible because we have improved the talent and getting of Guenther alone puts us in the 16-24 range.  Just the lack of mistakes in the preseason makes me optimistic.  I know there was the one big mistake in the Seattle game and I have not watched the 49er game yet.  Everything else looks promising though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Man I actually have hope for the defense

  • Brought in an elite edge guy we haven't had since Mack. Yannick! his character been an issue, but has been a leader
  • Max is emerging, I think he breaks out to stardom this year
  • Philon, McCoy, Thomas all promising In the interior. McCoy looked good that last game
  • LB reinforcement in KJ and Perryman
  • Hobbs might be a steal and start in slot
  • not sure about Hayward as CB1 but better than what we had. Mullen is a solid starter and CB2
  • drafted the best free safety and is a day 1 starter
  • Gillespie was a day 2 pick we landed in the 4th, looked good in the last game
  • Bradley was a huge pickup too!

I don't expect a dominant defense, but I think a good goal would to be ranked 10-15. we have a shot at being average which would be worlds better

Bradley looks initially to be the best addition we have had on D for long, long time, although he still has time to underwhelm of course and we've not actually seen his D in action when it really counts! I am very optimistic though.

I agree with nearly all but I'm not going to call Yannick 'elite' just yet until he has the production to match the potential. He's been a guy that has been good bordering on Pro Bowl level and has plenty of pressures but just a step below elite in my book so it would be nice for him to break out into that top tier pass rusher category this year with a 12+ sack season which I think he has a chance to do that if he stays healthy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...