Raiders Defense

Rolni

2 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

from day one on or does he needs time to develop the defense?

Day 1. 

That's the whole point in talking about scheme instead of individual players or positions. 

As I said earlier, it hardly matters who is brought in, Gus and his scheme are not changing. There is no "developing" his defense. It is what it is, and it is fundamentally flawed in relation to what we need. Even if run to schematic perfection, it wouldn't work long term against the opponents we face most often. 

Go to the Big12 and try running nothing but a base 4-4-3 defense. No matter who you bring in, it's not going to yield consistent success. Go into the SEC and try running a 3-3-5 like Rocky Long did at SDSU or New Mexico. You'd get destroyed. No matter how much you "develop" it, you're not going to successfully employ a 5-2-4 defense against a triple option out of a Wishbone formation. That's a personnel matchup you're going to have to heavily adjust for for that game. Gus will have to make major adjustments for 6 games out of the year to keep his scheme and be successful in the division, at which point, why is he our DC again? 

If Fangio came in, it would be a day 1 change because he runs a different offense, arguably one far better at defending against the QBs we play against most often. His concepts, looks, and how he approaches the game is different from Gus Bradley. It may take some time to bring in guys best suited for it, but the fundamental aspects of what our defense would be doing are immediately changed from day 1. 

14 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

from day one on or does he needs time to develop the defense?

Gotta be from day 1. We have a solid lb group between perryman, Deablo, potentially morrow/Wright and I guess Littleton is an okay backup for the money. The front 4 gets pressure. We have some players in the secondary. It’s good enough. We need a more aggressive scheme.

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Gotta be from day 1. We have a solid lb group between perryman, Deablo, potentially morrow/Wright and I guess Littleton is an okay backup for the money. The front 4 gets pressure. We have some players in the secondary. It’s good enough. We need a more aggressive scheme.

If it is so that would be fine with me. I don't know if our players fit in his scheme well but maybe I'm just to skeptical.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Day 1. 

That's the whole point in talking about scheme instead of individual players or positions. 

As I said earlier, it hardly matters who is brought in, Gus and his scheme are not changing. There is no "developing" his defense. It is what it is, and it is fundamentally flawed in relation to what we need. Even if run to schematic perfection, it wouldn't work long term against the opponents we face most often. 

Go to the Big12 and try running nothing but a base 4-4-3 defense. No matter who you bring in, it's not going to yield consistent success. Go into the SEC and try running a 3-3-5 like Rocky Long did at SDSU or New Mexico. You'd get destroyed. No matter how much you "develop" it, you're not going to successfully employ a 5-2-4 defense against a triple option out of a Wishbone formation. That's a personnel matchup you're going to have to heavily adjust for for that game. Gus will have to make major adjustments for 6 games out of the year to keep his scheme and be successful in the division, at which point, why is he our DC again? 

If Fangio came in, it would be a day 1 change because he runs a different offense, arguably one far better at defending against the QBs we play against most often. His concepts, looks, and how he approaches the game is different from Gus Bradley. It may take some time to bring in guys best suited for it, but the fundamental aspects of what our defense would be doing are immediately changed from day 1. 

And what I'm talking about is the bold line.
I have absolutely no problem with getting Fangio as DC, but I really don't want to read next year at the same time that "our defense is bad in this and that", when just maybe we had to start Abram as second safety all season long next to Moehrig (for example).

Edited by Styrian Raider

7 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I'm not sure about more, but I only saw one blitz. The DL had a great game, but damn Gus, throw in some blitzes, especially on those 4th downs.

Blitzing elite QBs is generally an extremely bad idea, especially when we are getting home with 4 and they are shredding the secondary anyway. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

Blitzing elite QBs is generally an extremely bad idea, especially when we are getting home with 4 and they are shredding the secondary anyway. 

Sending exotic blitzes and confusing the qb is never a bad idea. Sending 1 extra guy won't get you shredded. Bradley's blitzes sucked yesterday. Got picked up with ease. Way too predictable.

Just now, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I get it. But a well designed blitz would be nice to see occasionally. Even against elite QB’s.

Yeah, he does blitz a bit more against worse QBs. Other problem with someone like Herbert is he is so athletic and so hard to bring down that even if you get to him no guarantee it is a sack. 

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Sending exotic blitzes and confusing the qb is never a bad idea. Sending 1 extra guy won't get you shredded. Bradley's blitzes sucked yesterday. Got picked up with ease. Way too predictable.

You don't confuse the best QBs much

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/nfl-defense-blitzes-mahomes-brady-prescott-jackson-2021/

Good analysis on blitzing

17 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

Not even necessarily confusing. Forcing a quicker throw can make the difference, especially if you have your corners sit on the markers. It's worked very well historically when done right.

32 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Mahomes, Herbert, Rodgers if the Denver rumors are true.....yeah try just rushing 4 against them and finding success. 

Elite QBs aren't bothered by 4 man rushes and will eventually find someone open. That's the folly of the Bradley scheme. 

4 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Mahomes, Herbert, Rodgers if the Denver rumors are true.....yeah try just rushing 4 against them and finding success. 

Elite QBs aren't bothered by 4 man rushes and will eventually find someone open. That's the folly of the Bradley scheme. 

Rushing 4 is fine but sometimes you need to bring an extra guy. If you have decent coverage there's nothing wrong with that.

8 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Mahomes and Rodgers are literally two of the least blitzed QBs in the league because they are going to absolutely shred you if you do. In 2020 Mahomes completed 70% of his passes at over 9.3 YPA against the blitz, as that article I linked mentions. 

The problem with blitzing in modern NFL (it clearly still has a place, don't get me wrong) and why teams around the league are doing it less is that the modern rules on WRs mean that there is basically no way to jam them - especially when teams run crossing routes out of trips or bunch formations. The natural picks that occur (or illegal, uncalled picks if you are KC) and the fact the CB can barely put his hands on a WR means the blitz gets slaughtered as WRs come open so quickly and with huge YAC potential.

• Like 2