Raiders Defense

Rolni

9 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Bumping an old thread. I think brown and deablo will be the nickel backers and in dime, we will see abram at "LB" with harmon playing the SS role. 

I'm also hoping we put koonce or another edge on the field on obvious 3rd downs to run stunts/create mismatches against guards.

Who are you taking out or moving inside to get Koonce on the field, Jones or Maxx ? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What are some thoughts on the defence after four games; As expected, better, worse, underwhelming??

I’m initially disappointed if I’m honest, I thought we’d have a lot more pressure and sacks. I’ve always been a big fan of Chandler Jones and he’s been very underwhelming thus far though not terrible. Abrams is playing better and we’re not getting torn apart out there.

Positives for me are definitely the run defence, Crosby playing very well, the adjustments we’ve been making at half time and the way we’ve slotted in back up DBS and haven’t gotten badly exposed yet.

Negatives have to be the pass rush overall and the propensity to give up 4th down conversions (3rd downs seem OK to me). Bilal Nichols has been the biggest disappointment for me, just looks ineffective out there. We really need some push from the inside to help the outside guys (how long have we been saying that?). Tackling has been a little iffy at times too.

Overall, especially as we’ve basically had so much turnover I don’t think it’s too bad but with a lot of room to improve. We are limited in our improvement though until we can find an interior pass rusher to help out, maybe that’s Nichols but early signs are not great.

Defense has been as expected for me. I thought they'd be middle of the pack. Outside Maxx and Perryman, there is not a ton of talent on that side of the ball. Hobbs has continued to ascend. I did expect more from Jones, but wasn't expecting as much as some of you.

Deablo and Moehrig haven't taken the next step in their sophomore season. Interior pass rush remains a problem. I didn't think they did enough to address it. Corner is a bit of question mark. Ya sin has looked good, but been nicked up. Averret is on IR. Abram is playing well, but not worth a second contract. Was wrecked against the Titans. 

The gaudy stat lines to average QBs is still a thing which is frustrating. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Defense has been as expected for me. I thought they'd be middle of the pack. Outside Maxx and Perryman, there is not a ton of talent on that side of the ball. Hobbs has continued to ascend. I did expect more from Jones, but wasn't expecting as much as some of you.

Deablo and Moehrig haven't taken the next step in their sophomore season. Interior pass rush remains a problem. I didn't think they did enough to address it. Corner is a bit of question mark. Ya sin has looked good, but been nicked up. Averret is on IR. Abram is playing well, but not worth a second contract. Was wrecked against the Titans. 

The gaudy stat lines to average QBs is still a thing which is frustrating. 

Really? He has barely been picked on, if at all. I think Harmon has played excellent. I'm really disappointed that averett is out because it's opened us up more at CB, when it should be a strength.

I was a big gus fan and wasn’t really happy the defense got gutted the way it did. I don’t really see that big of a difference from last year except imo yannik was more productive than Jones is going into game 5. This kc game is a great measuring stick. Defense has to show up big time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Really? He has barely been picked on, if at all. I think Harmon has played excellent. I'm really disappointed that averett is out because it's opened us up more at CB, when it should be a strength.

Don't get me wrong, he's playing good football. But I don't see where he's elevated his game any from last season. He's not making any standout plays, creating turnovers, etc. I had hoped to see him standout more as a defender. 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Really happy with our safety group so far. Moehrig has been very steady and a reassuring presence back there for me and quite possibly the interceptions will follow. I don’t recall him being tested that much……..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Don't get me wrong, he's playing good football. But I don't see where he's elevated his game any from last season. He's not making any standout plays, creating turnovers, etc. I had hoped to see him standout more as a defender. 

I agree. But to some extent, our LB are weak links and have been picked on a lot. The fact that I haven't seen a lot of explosive plays when he's staying deep is pretty good to me, considering what he's being asked to do.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Darbsk said:

What are some thoughts on the defence after four games; As expected, better, worse, underwhelming??

I'm slightly disappointed because I thought that Jones/Nichols would have bigger impacts for us but we've also dealt with injuries to key players like Moehrig and Perryman. 

We've only given up 24, 23, 24, and 23 going up against four of the most talented offenses in the league to start the year. And outside of the Cardinals game I thought that Graham made really good adjustments throughout our games. We were basically able to completely shut down the Titans, Chargers, and Broncos in the second half. 

I know that most people expected us to just make a tremendous leap this year but we have a new system and a ton of new pieces, it takes time. One thing I will say though is that I love how Graham has put guys like Abram, Amik, and Ferrell in a position to succeed when Guenther/Bradley couldn't. 

That's probably the thing that has stood out to me the most about Graham so far, his ability to play to his players strengths and find a way to effectively use the guys that he has. For example there were concerns about 4-3 vs 3-4 in the offseason and how Crosby would fit but he has put him into a position to wreak havoc. 

• Like 2