Raiders Defense

Rolni

11 hours ago, RaiderX said:

Not sure about Moehrig, but Abram definitely needs to go. Sick of seeing him miss tackles and lost in coverage. Guy brings little to the table aside from energy.

Moehrig had a great rookie campaign and is still getting use to the new system. Deablo looks like problem tho. Haven't seen anything positive from him since preseason. Maybe upgrade the LB core.

Personal opinion, I think we overrated Moehrig's rookie campaign slightly because of the guys that came before him. He was average and you'd hoped he'd build off it, but hasn't. He's never ballhawk skills or been the type guy to break up passes. Just a decent coverage option. Still young, best football is ahead of him, but he's been a disappointment from where I stand. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Personal opinion, I think we overrated Moehrig's rookie campaign slightly because of the guys that came before him. He was average and you'd hoped he'd build off it, but hasn't. He's never ballhawk skills or been the type guy to break up passes. Just a decent coverage option. Still young, best football is ahead of him, but he's been a disappointment from where I stand. 

Meh I think Gus used trey perfectly he’s playing a totally diff role this year

On 10/25/2022 at 3:58 AM, big_palooka said:

Oh yea he's had his struggles like a lot of players on this side of the ball. Perryman hasn't been the ball seeking missile he was in Bradley's scheme. Deablo has been a disappointment and even coming off the injury Moehrig hasn't come out the gates like we thought. But I'm willing to be patient and see if he gets it. Not a lost cause like Abram was his 2nd year.

17 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

LOL this is what happens when you consistently give up long d drives.

Our D tires themselves out. 

Which I think is what most of us have been saying.  A select few try to blame the offense for the defense, but those stats spell it out better than any of us ever could.

• Like 1

Good read on the D - https://theathletic.com/3733158/2022/10/27/raiders-defense-nfl/?source=emp_shared_article

Highlight for those without the Athletic:

For starters, the core issue for his unit has been the pass coverage. When that was an issue for the Raiders last season, it stemmed from both poor play and an overly simplistic game plan that was highly predictable. This season, they may be doing too much.

The Raiders have used single-high safety formations on 46.6 percent of their opponent’s dropbacks and two-high safety looks 40.7 percent of the time. They’ve used four coverages for at least 35 snaps: Cover 1, 2, 3 and 4. And they’ve only used their most frequent coverage, Cover 1, on 26.3 percent of their opponents drop backs. That’s a lot to sort out on the back end from play to play and increases the likelihood of miscommunication and breakdowns.

Against the pass, something that could help them make more plays on the ball is playing a higher rate of man coverage. The secondary has been bad in zone coverage, ranking 25th in yards per attempt when playing zone. They’ve been much better when in man coverage, ranking 14th in yards per attempt.  The Raiders played zone on 78.5 percent of the Texans’ dropbacks last week and got picked apart to the tune of 302 passing yards and 7.4 yards per attempt.

Lastly, the defensive personnel just hasn’t played well. For newcomers and returning players alike, it’s been a mix of poor performance and unavailability.

Let’s start with the offseason additions. The Raiders signed Chandler Jones to create a top-10 pass-rusher duo alongside Crosby, but he only has a half-sack and 15 pressures (T-68th). They brought in Nichols to provide his aforementioned run-stopping ability, but they also wanted more pass-rush juice. He has zero sacks and 12 pressures (T-90th). Linebacker Jayon Brown has missed two games due to a hamstring injury and has given up completions on all 15 of his targets in pass coverage according to Pro Football Reference. They brought in Anthony Averett to start at cornerback, but he’s only played two games due to a thumb injury and gave up two touchdowns in his first game back against the Texans.

It’s not only about new guys, though. Linebacker Denzel Perryman, who made the Pro Bowl last season, has missed two games due to injury and has had a more limited role focused on run downs. Cornerback Nate Hobbs got off to an excellent start to the season, but he suffered a broken hand against the Chiefs and is on injured reserve. Safety Tre’von Moehrig had a strong rookie season, but he’s given up 309 yards in coverage (worst among safeties) and was benched for Harmon against the Texans.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Good read on the D - https://theathletic.com/3733158/2022/10/27/raiders-defense-nfl/?source=emp_shared_article

Highlight for those without the Athletic:

So we played zone 80% of the time even though we suck at zone and texans don't have much at wr behind cooks. Yall really saying that's not coaching. Maybe he was scared to put averett in man. But the gameplan doesn't make sense. They don't have man beaters on houston. Let me go read this whole article. 

1 minute ago, dante9876 said:

So we played zone 80% of the time even though we suck at zone and texans don't have much at wr behind cooks. Yall really saying that's not coaching. Maybe he was scared to put averett in man. But the gameplan doesn't make sense. They don't have man beaters on houston. Let me go read this whole article. 

Pretty much. Sounds like they would be better served in man likely giving up big plays vs. playing zone and dying by a thousand paper cuts. 

My take is the scheme is complicated and the players are not great. Bad combination.

12 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Pretty much. Sounds like they would be better served in man likely giving up big plays vs. playing zone and dying by a thousand paper cuts. 

My take is the scheme is complicated and the players are not great. Bad combination.

How long is Hobbs out.  That would help overall and give the DC more confidence to play man I would hope.