Raiders Defense

Rolni

10 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Rams missing Donald 

pats missing mills

steelers missing edmunds

goes both ways

I wasn’t talking about our offense though. I know they’ve been low-key bad for these last few games.

Point is I’d be wary about assuming this defense has turned any kind of corner just because they’ve looked slightly better against three poor offensive opponents.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

What has that got to do with our defence?? 🧐

He defends the defense no matter what.  Seems weird to be honest.  Somehow it's blasphemy to point out the facts of how bad the stats were, at least earlier in the season. Not sure where they stand now and really don't care.

They've played respectable all year for the talent they have and I think most acknowledge that.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, true2form said:

He defends the defense no matter what.  Seems weird to be honest.  Somehow it's blasphemy to point out the facts of how bad the stats were, at least earlier in the season. Not sure where they stand now and really don't care.

They've played respectable all year for the talent they have and I think most acknowledge that.  

Somebody gotta support the defense. surprised it took josh j to publicly say something for some here to finally feel ok to support them also. Defense doesn’t get any excuses but 90% of the blame.

As for the injury thing it’s the end of the season everyone is banged up. Good luck finding a totally healthy team. 

11 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Somebody gotta support the defense. surprised it took josh j to publicly say something for some here to finally feel ok to support them also. Defense doesn’t get any excuses but 90% of the blame.

As for the injury thing it’s the end of the season everyone is banged up. Good luck finding a totally healthy team. 

No one "has" to support anything.  You choose to, even when they are a bottom 10 defense in pretty much every possible stat measured. Even after playing "well" the last few weeks against bad offenses. Take a look for yourself.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/opp.htm  

25 minutes ago, true2form said:

No one "has" to support anything.  You choose to, even when they are a bottom 10 defense in pretty much every possible stat measured. Even after playing "well" the last few weeks against bad offenses. Take a look for yourself.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/opp.htm  

What do you expect when the offense does next to nothing?

you give the other team chance after chance to pad stats on your defense.

defense played a game where our offense didn’t even get past the 50.

until y’all are willing to acknowledge that the offense contributes to the poor defensive stats these convos are pointless. 

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

What do you expect when the offense does next to nothing?

you give the other team chance after chance to pad stats on your defense.

defense played a game where our offense didn’t even get past the 50.

until y’all are willing to acknowledge that the offense contributes to the poor defensive stats these convos are pointless. 

And that's just unfair.  I'm not sitting here expecting the defense to help the offense, because they don't.  I expect the offense to do it's job no matter what the defense is doing and vise versa.  Sure would be nice if they helped each other out, but let's start with just taking care of their own side of the ball.

Teams like the Steelers and Ravens close out games with crappy offenses year after year.  Doesn't matter who the QB is.  49ers trot out whoever is next in line, doesn't matter. I'm not asking our defense to be something they are not, but it sure would be nice if they didn't completely stop playing late in some games like the Rams game. The other teams defense is able to stop us, why can't we stop them?  Was the Steelers defense refreshed and ready to go more than ours?

Our defense plays solid for what they are.  You can blame the offense for stalling in the 2nd half of any and all of the blown lead games.  They did.  However, the defense gave up the majority of those points in the 2nd half to give up those leads. One half of offense doesn't cut it.  Neither does one half of defense.

1 hour ago, true2form said:

And that's just unfair.  I'm not sitting here expecting the defense to help the offense, because they don't.  I expect the offense to do it's job no matter what the defense is doing and vise versa.  Sure would be nice if they helped each other out, but let's start with just taking care of their own side of the ball.

Teams like the Steelers and Ravens close out games with crappy offenses year after year.  Doesn't matter who the QB is.  49ers trot out whoever is next in line, doesn't matter. I'm not asking our defense to be something they are not, but it sure would be nice if they didn't completely stop playing late in some games like the Rams game. The other teams defense is able to stop us, why can't we stop them?  Was the Steelers defense refreshed and ready to go more than ours?

Our defense plays solid for what they are.  You can blame the offense for stalling in the 2nd half of any and all of the blown lead games.  They did.  However, the defense gave up the majority of those points in the 2nd half to give up those leads. One half of offense doesn't cut it.  Neither does one half of defense.

Teams like Balt, Pitt and sf constantly upgrade and throw resources at their defense and we don’t. We’re not a defensive team. I can’t remember when we ever were. Even with Gannon we were built to out score teams.

defense actually helps the offense by giving the offense time after time to score. Defense also helps the offense by scoring points which counts as offensive points.

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Teams like Balt, Pitt and sf constantly upgrade and throw resources at their defense and we don’t. We’re not a defensive team. I can’t remember when we ever were. Even with Gannon we were built to out score teams.

defense actually helps the offense by giving the offense time after time to score. Defense also helps the offense by scoring points which counts as offensive points.

Offense in turn helps the defense by giving them several double digit leads throughout the year.  Allowing them to play fast and pin their ears back.  

Goes both ways is my entire point.

1 hour ago, true2form said:

Offense in turn helps the defense by giving them several double digit leads throughout the year.  Allowing them to play fast and pin their ears back.  

Goes both ways is my entire point.

Asking a defense to hold a 10 point lead in the nfl for 3 qtrs is insane Imo.

As a coach you never take your foot off the gas. You make the other team forfeit or tap out. You never let the clock be your friend. That’s our problem we lack killer instinct. we let teams have chance after chance to come back.

it’s insane to expect the defense to stop a team 5 times in a row in the 2nd half but not expect the offense to get 5 first downs in the same half.

literally a handful of first downs from our high powered offense would have us in the playoffs right now

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Asking a defense to hold a 10 point lead in the nfl for 3 qtrs is insane Imo.

As a coach you never take your foot off the gas. You make the other team forfeit or tap out. You never let the clock be your friend. That’s our problem we lack killer instinct. we let teams have chance after chance to come back.

it’s insane to expect the defense to stop a team 5 times in a row in the 2nd half but not expect the offense to get 5 first downs in the same half.

literally a handful of first downs from our high powered offense would have us in the playoffs right now

This is part of why I am down on Carr. This has been an issue through his career. Everyone here called Gruden conservative with a lead. Now they are calling JMD the same. Maybe it's the QB that lacks the killer instinct?

I'm a firm believer teams will take the reflection of their leader at QB. And in my view, I see good play design. Guys are always open and the QB is not executing.  

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

This is part of why I am down on Carr. This has been an issue through his career. Everyone here called Gruden conservative with a lead. Now they are calling JMD the same. Maybe it's the QB that lacks the killer instinct?

I'm a firm believer teams will take the reflection of their leader at QB. And in my view, I see good play design. Guys are always open and the QB is not executing.  

Hate to say it but you’re correct esp vs Pitt carr was missing throws high all night and guys were open. 

I kept telling myself defense is going to have to score cause carr has checked out after the first qtr