Raiders Defense

Rolni

On 1/31/2023 at 5:10 AM, Darbsk said:

I think this draft has a few potential big players inside but I don’t think many at all will be day 1 starters and make a difference straight way. They may take a year or two, guys like Roy, Dexter, Kancey, Pickens all look like they need seasoning to me. That’s part of the trouble with DT, it’s unusual a rookie makes a big impact straight away. 

This is why I said last year it was important to draft a DT if we where going to go the rookie route and have a 3 year window.  Travis Jones, Abraham Lucas, and George Pickens where day 2 targets I wanted to go after.  I wanted Wyatt but not in the first.  After Penning was taken before our 1st I would have tried to trade back to get all 3 guys instead of trading for Adams.  Adams is a great player but his age limits the time we have to turn it around.

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 1

I think this draft has a few potential big players inside but I don’t think many at all will be day 1 starters and make a difference straight way. They may take a year or two, guys like Roy, Dexter, Kancey, Pickens all look like they need seasoning to me. That’s part of the trouble with DT, it’s unusual a rookie makes a big impact straight away. 

I agree with you 100%.  Rarely ever are DTs day 1 impact players.

On 1/30/2023 at 11:36 AM, Jerry said:

Payne is probably going to cost 18M+ per season.  I'd be willing to pay it.  Just wanted to share that fact.  That's a lot of money towards one player.

Da'Ron Payne Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

Payne is going to command a huge deal but he's worth it, IMO. He's not even in his prime yet and is already one of the only interior DL that can get you 10+ sacks. 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2023 at 9:53 AM, Jerry said:

I agree with you 100%.  Rarely ever are DTs day 1 impact players.

I think Adam Butler might be decent depth and we can also bring back Tillery/Billings on cheap deals to provide depth. Between those three and Farrell our DT depth is decent but we lack someone with pass rushing juice. I love Jalen Carter but we'd have to trade up to 1/3 to get him, Tuli as well but not sure he's suited to play inside full time.

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think Adam Butler might be decent depth and we can also bring back Tillery/Billings on cheap deals to provide depth. Between those three and Farrell our DT depth is decent but we lack someone with pass rushing juice. I love Jalen Carter but we'd have to trade up to 1/3 to get him, Tuli as well but not sure he's suited to play inside full time.

Butler and Farrell Jr to me have shown nothing at all so I’m not going to pin any hopes on them, maybe they’ll improve, hopefully so. Tillery to me is a pure rotation rusher, he’s just such a liability in the run game unfortunately but I’d keep him around for that as he had a few decent games last year.

I can understand the optimism with the rookies but for me, we have a NT in Billings and a rotation player in Tillery……we need tons of help!

Fun Fact……. I live in a small town called Abertillery and (in Welsh) Aber means mouth of a river and Tillery is the name of the river 😀

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

Butler and Farrell Jr to me have shown nothing at all so I’m not going to pin any hopes on them, maybe they’ll improve, hopefully so. Tillery to me is a pure rotation rusher, he’s just such a liability in the run game unfortunately but I’d keep him around for that as he had a few decent games last year.

I can understand the optimism with the rookies but for me, we have a NT in Billings and a rotation player in Tillery……we need tons of help!

Fun Fact……. I live in a small town called Abertillery and (in Welsh) Aber means mouth of a river and Tillery is the name of the river 😀

I was referring to Adam Butler who has 80 career games played (17 sacks, 27 TFL) for the Patriots and Dolphins. We just signed him on a futures deal.

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Payne is going to command a huge deal but he's worth it, IMO. He's not even in his prime yet and is already one of the only interior DL that can get you 10+ sacks. 

I agree 100%.  We need monsters on the DL, like the Eagles.

On 2/3/2023 at 10:18 AM, Jerry said:

I agree 100%.  We need monsters on the DL, like the Eagles.

Let's sign Hargrave and Payne.  We would have 4 guys on the line capable of 10+ sack season.  Jones has regressed but next to those 3 he would probably face TEs all day.  You would have to block 1v1 on a player capable of beating it on every play.  Pipe dream but that is the closest to what Philly has that we could get.

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 11:22 PM, NYRaider said:

You pay Payne huge money because he's worth it. He absolutely destroys guards 1 on 1. Him and Crosby on the same DL would be nuts.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You pay Payne huge money because he's worth it. He absolutely destroys guards 1 on 1. Him and Crosby on the same DL would be nuts.

With the cap increase, I don't see Wash letting him hit FA. 

Young ascending players rarely hit FA, this year will be know different imo. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Especially as (if we keep him) Billings was commanding a lot of double teams this year. You can only double so many guys and chip and use TE's etc. without it wrecking your own game plan and what the offence wants to do. It is absolutely imperative that we finally get a top quality, (not a cheap re-tread) DT in to help the whole front 7. Whether that is a premium draft pick or a costly free agent, we really do need to finally put money into a position that is totally worth the expenditure.

You can get away, maybe, with skimping on OG, SS, TE, RB, LB but you rarely can at DT. You usually get what you pay for at that position and it's the keystone to the D, so although a guy like Payne will be costly, I totally agree it is worth a high cost. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, big_palooka said:

With the cap increase, I don't see Wash letting him hit FA. 

Young ascending players rarely hit FA, this year will be know different imo. 

The only reason I think there's a chance is because they just paid Jonathan Allen big money, Montez Sweat is going into the last year of his deal, and Chase Young is going to be eligible for an extension next year as well. Plus they just drafted Phidarian Mathis in the second round last year.