Raiders Defense

Rolni

On 2/11/2023 at 3:08 AM, ronjon1990 said:

Or, and hear me out, it could be that our DC sucks and brings guys down, who tend to rebound once he hits the road. 

Palooka won't agree because he' s a paid shill for the guy, but the history there is.....undeniable. 

We'll probably trade both soon to bring in "his guys", they'll go start elsewhere with success, and we'll continue to be the Pat Graham Bottom Rung Special 

Except several Giants including Leo had career years under Graham, so once again.... you're trying to create a narrative that isn't there.

And for the record, you keep trying to paint this negative picture of me and I've said repeatedly, I don't know if Graham is the answer. He very well could not be. But I'm going to reserve judgement until the defense actually has some legit starting talent to run a defense.

See the post above at the amount of draft capital wasted. For 20 years and counting Raider fans have been blaming the DC when they've failed miserably for decades to draft defensive talent. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

There isn’t a quick fix for the defense, we lack talent and depth at all three levels. 

100% which is why they need to go either QB or DE at 7. Heck if they trade back I wouldn’t be opposed to them drafting a CB in the first either. 

46 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

100% which is why they need to go either QB or DE at 7. Heck if they trade back I wouldn’t be opposed to them drafting a CB in the first either. 

Knowing our luck Anderson, Carter, Wilson, Murphy, Young, and Stroud will be the first 6 picks lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

You’re mr positive make it make sense 

or we’re screwed until some of us get hired as draft scouts

There are some good evaluators in the FO with Ziegler and Champ Kelly. 

Year 1 is always hard. You are scouting for another team, then thrusted into the job. Have to evaluate players on your new team in a short amount of time before the draft. 

Now the honeymoon is over. They are moving on at QB and have cap and draft picks to start growing their homegrown base. It's not going to happen in one year, but I expect the team to take a jump forward this season. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

There are some good evaluators in the FO with Ziegler and Champ Kelly. 

Year 1 is always hard. You are scouting for another team, then thrusted into the job. Have to evaluate players on your new team in a short amount of time before the draft. 

Now the honeymoon is over. They are moving on at QB and have cap and draft picks to start growing their homegrown base. It's not going to happen in one year, but I expect the team to take a jump forward this season. 

I think it was even more challenging because Gus Bradley had so many scheme specific guys which created way more turnover then you’d see in most situations. We didn’t have any depth or building blocks outside of Crosby. 

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

There isn’t a quick fix for the defense, we lack talent and depth at all three levels. 

Well, it depends upon what you mean by ‘fix’. If you mean turn our D into a perennial top ten D then yes, you’re right. If you mean turn it into an average to respectable D then I think that can be achieved in one off season given a bit of luck and some good decisions.

Add a keystone DT such as DaRon Payne in FA.

Bring back my boy Andrew Billings at NT.

Trade down in the draft and pick a CB such as Witherspoon later in the first and maybe add a second and more.

Use that second on Tuipolotu at DE.

Bring back Ya Sin and move Hobbs back to slot.

With the remaining second to fourth draft picks add a guy or two like Calijah Kancey at rotation DT, a safety like maybe Brandon Joseph and add depth at LB.

By trading down we could possibly add an OG too in the third round or thereabouts to appease the offence.

We’d still be able to add a couple value FAs at CB, S and LB and I think we’d be looking quite promising. Tranquill I think was mentioned and that would be a good one. 

We wouldn’t be world beaters but I think we’d be promising for sure. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Well, it depends upon what you mean by ‘fix’. If you mean turn our D into a perennial top ten D then yes, you’re right. If you mean turn it into an average to respectable D then I think that can be achieved in one off season given a bit of luck and some good decisions.

Add a keystone DT such as DaRon Payne in FA.

Bring back my boy Andrew Billings at NT.

Trade down in the draft and pick a CB such as Witherspoon later in the first and maybe add a second and more.

Use that second on Tuipolotu at DE.

Bring back Ya Sin and move Hobbs back to slot.

With the remaining second to fourth draft picks add a guy or two like Calijah Kancey at rotation DT, a safety like maybe Brandon Joseph and add depth at LB.

By trading down we could possibly add an OG too in the third round or thereabouts to appease the offence.

We’d still be able to add a couple value FAs at CB, S and LB and I think we’d be looking quite promising. Tranquill I think was mentioned and that would be a good one. 

We wouldn’t be world beaters but I think we’d be promising for sure. 

I don’t think we can afford Payne but I’d be happy with Dalvin Tomlinson or DreMont Jones. 

I’d be open to trading back and going corner in the first but only if we invest heavily into the trenches in FA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 101Raider said:

Rumor that Patrick Queen is heading to the trade block. No idea what they’re looking at for compensation, but if it’s reasonable, I’d hope we show interest…

I thought he’s been very underwhelming hasn’t he? Have to be honest, when I watched the Ravens this year I didn’t really notice him.

43 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I thought he’s been very underwhelming hasn’t he? Have to be honest, when I watched the Ravens this year I didn’t really notice him.

Yep, their fans seem very hot & cold with him. Sounds like there are some splash performances but he’s generally been a letdown.

Plus, their defense in general is better than ours. There’s the potential for him to drop off even further with less talent around him.

• Like 1