Raiders Defense

Rolni

On 3/31/2023 at 1:50 PM, agarcia34 said:

In Vic’s story today he mentioned that they(Raiders) view Facyson as a starter. Thought that was surprising 

that only means Facyson is going to get cut before the season starts. 

6 minutes ago, Geezy said:

We gonna go full Damarious Randall on him?

That was such a bizarre occurrence. He fell from being a solid enough player to at least be a primary backup to Practice Squad fodder overnight. 

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

We gonna go full Damarious Randall on him?

That was such a bizarre occurrence. He fell from being a solid enough player to at least be a primary backup to Practice Squad fodder overnight. 

damn i had hopes for Randall too

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Vic is so out of it. Facyson can be cut with like no dead $ after this year. That is just a depth insurance signing.

Even the dead cap for cutting him before the season is minimal, 700k slit 50:50 over this year and next… plus he’ll probably have gotten the 200k workout bonus.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 11:57 AM, Geezy said:

I'm wondering since it doesn't look like we are re signing Rock if the raiders draft Gonzalez would it be better to have  Hobbs as the #2 and starting Amik at NB. But for as much as they paid Facyson i think they do view him as a starter they cant dump his contract. Gonzalez, Facyson, Hobbs is probably better any way or Porter Jr. 

• 1 month later...

I know that our Defense looks pretty weak on paper!

But still I'm quite excited for this unit and for Patrick Graham. He has to show he can coach and I can see this D surprising some folks if PG can coach. He will have veterans on every level, who understand the scheme now and he has a better roster overall, a lot more speed at his arsenal too...

It all starts upfront and while we lack the big name, proven guys on the interior of the DL, we have a potentially good front IMO.

That Maxx-Jones-Wilson trio should help the young interior to get more one-on-one looks and start to shine. When that happens the hole D can elevate.

PG will have a young IDL room with versatile guys and I expect them to be a lot better then they were in 2022. 

I could see a A.Butler-N.Farrell-B.Nichols base IDL with B.Young-J.Jenkins/N.J. Silvera-J.Tillery/M.Butler rotational group which could be a decent one. Good against the run and give some push against the pass...

I can see Wilson inside at 4T when we play nickel or dime with Tillery/Butler/Nichols/Young in rotation.

I really like our EDGE group with Maxx, Chandler, Tyree and Jordan.

This DL could be a unit, which will break out in 2023 and set the tone for this D.

At LB we will have issues, but since our base will be 2 LB I think we could live with it, if the rest play good football. Spillane and Deablo could be alright vs the run if the DL plays good. Pass coverage will be a different animal, but if Deablo can improve a bit and Burney can be a solid situational rookie, then we could be better then last year.

I like our CB room more then most I guess and also I think the S unit will surprise a lot of people.

We have a collection of press CBs, who could look good in this press heavy scheme. I think we will have problems with teams, who have big WRs, but we should be a lot better as a cover team overall.

Moehrig will get back to his natural FS spot, where he shined "Moehrig in 2021 spent 1058 snaps at FS, 33 NCB, 57 at SS and in 2022 he played 484 at FS, 144 NCB, 210 SS His best games in 2022 came when he spent more than 70% of his snaps at true free safety (KC wk 18, NO, DEN wk 4, IND). @KuhnTristen"

Marcus Epps is a solid NFL starting SS and we will have Pola-Malo and C.Smith behind them to provide quality depth IMO.

I like this young DB unit a lot.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rolni said:

I know that our Defense looks pretty weak on paper!

But still I'm quite excited for this unit and for Patrick Graham. He has to show he can coach and I can see this D surprising some folks if PG can coach. He will have veterans on every level, who understand the scheme now and he has a better roster overall, a lot more speed at his arsenal too...

It all starts upfront and while we lack the big name, proven guys on the interior of the DL, we have a potentially good front IMO.

That Maxx-Jones-Wilson trio should help the young interior to get more one-on-one looks and start to shine. When that happens the hole D can elevate.

PG will have a young IDL room with versatile guys and I expect them to be a lot better then they were in 2022. 

I could see a A.Butler-N.Farrell-B.Nichols base IDL with B.Young-J.Jenkins/N.J. Silvera-J.Tillery/M.Butler rotational group which could be a decent one. Good against the run and give some push against the pass...

I can see Wilson inside at 4T when we play nickel or dime with Tillery/Butler/Nichols/Young in rotation.

This DL could be a unit, which will break out in 2023 and set the tone for this D.

At LB we will have issues, but since our base will be 2 LB I think we could live with it, if the rest play good football. Spillane and Deablo could be alright vs the run if the DL plays good. Pass coverage will be a different animal, but if Deablo can improve a bit and Burney can be a solid situational rookie, then we could be better then last year.

I like our CB room more then most I guess and also I think the S unit will surprise a lot of people.

We have a collection of press CBs, who could look good in this press heavy scheme. I think we will have problems with teams, who have big WRs, but we should be a lot better as a cover team overall.

Moehrig will get back to his natural FS spot, where he shined "Moehrig in 2021 spent 1058 snaps at FS, 33 NCB, 57 at SS and in 2022 he played 484 at FS, 144 NCB, 210 SS His best games in 2022 came when he spent more than 70% of his snaps at true free safety (KC wk 18, NO, DEN wk 4, IND). @KuhnTristen"

Marcus Epps is a solid NFL starting SS and we will have Pola-Malo and C.Smith behind them to provide quality depth IMO.

I like this young DB unit a lot.

It's a young group. I think an aggressive signing or trade next year could elevate it further. 

• Like 1

With the exception of DE, we are lacking upper tier talent everywhere. 

However, the part that’s going to help is that for the 1st time since I can remember we actually have depth and young guys waiting to step in.  If any of our young dudes can step up, I think the unit can exceed expectations (which admittedly isn’t saying much).

I’m not as down on our CBs as a lot in this forum, but dang our LBs are horrible lol.

7 minutes ago, Geezy said:

we just need the defense to not be terrible. It all starts up front.

Say what you will about the specific choices, but the fact we spent a high 1st and 3rd on d-line says that our front office sees what we’ve hollering about for years… “It all starts upfront.”

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rolni said:

I love the optimism and don’t disagree at all on LB or the DBs but this interior DLine will surprise me if they are anything other than a very weak link. I like Young and think he’s a solid addition but I just can’t have much belief in any of the others. Maybe coaching can elevate the unit but again, the coaching is another question mark. I guess I’ll believe it when I see it sorry 🙂

• Like 1

Colour me intrigued with our D this season. If I’m reading the moves right, it seems that they are trying to build a defense with different body types and attributes front and back. To heavily rotate the dline, move guys around and keep everyone fresh up front. And to have players on the back end who can be specifically matched up dependent on the oppositions weapons. 

And trying to build competition within both of the those groups with the sheer number of young players in each area, that they hope a handful emerge and become decent, competent starters.

And the other thing I feel I’m reading right is that this FO, even more (which is hard to believe) than the last very many FOs does not value LBs at all. Are they anticipating that the position will become almost redundant? 

It could very well be that they are just throwing as many darts as they can afford and hoping that some of the players can be decent enough to construct a defense, but if there is a plan, it almost seems like there is an element of position-less-ness about it.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 4:40 AM, Rolni said:

Titans use to have the no name defense and I'm hoping for a similar thing for us. Hoping Graham has success early and gets more talent over time. 

• Like 1