Raiders Defense

Rolni

Just now, mct288 said:

You think it is unreasonable to have concern about two rookies that have barely gotten any work in during training camp? That there should be no concern about Obi missing extended practice time, playing part of a game, and then missing again (granted, no word has come about injury - it could be an off day)? You don't think it's worth at least acknowledging that we are on the edge of the season and these guys have barely even seen the practice field?

Like I said (and you even bolded it), I'm not questioning these picks. I'm not questioning these guys as players or their long term prospects. I just think it's worth acknowledging that these guys are behind to start the season and, as rookies, it's hard to catch up. I don't see how that is in the same realm as the Mack thing when he was clearly dominating.

Yes. Absolutely. This is a marathon, not a sprint. They have time to catch up and they're going to be bigger part of the team in the 2nd half the season as is. 

And Mack certainly did not dominate as a rookie in preseason. That was the point. 

Just now, big_palooka said:

Yes. Absolutely. This is a marathon, not a sprint. They have time to catch up and they're going to be bigger part of the team in the 2nd half the season as is. 

And Mack certainly did not dominate as a rookie in preseason. That was the point. 

Look, I agree that they can absolutely get healthy, be fine, and be a huge part of this defense, and that there is plenty of time for that. Hell, I expect that both of them will. But by "gives me pause" I mean that it is a reasonable possibility that their injuries kinda linger and don't necessarily allow them to get their feet under them while learning the speed/physicality of the NFL game because it already has been a month. It can and does happen both ways.

And yeah, I forgot what Mack was like that Preseason, was just alluding to the fact that he was a beast during that season, but only had 4 sacks.

Every practice rep counts.  Hopefully their time off is due more to the fact that they want them ready for the season and believe they are and not due to the severity of their injuries.  

I just wanted to say I'm pretty excited about T. Hester, 3 sacks is pretty good in limited action.

With regard to the final game and the defensive line there are two question marks still remaining for me (apart from the obvious DB concerns):

1)  Interior pressure - Vanderdoes flashed a little early on and has held the PoA pretty well I think, he's been less noticeable the last couple games and obviously being a rookie we'd give him more leeway but I'd still like to see a little something from him this final game. We've also been hearing about Ward looking all round better and we need to see at least something from him moving forward, even if its just better leverage and hand usage. He seemed to look a little more effective but if he can provide some push that would be a big bonus. Hester looks like a decent rotational guy who can at least apply a little pressure. Mario Edwards is probably my main concern though, n particular has been really quiet this pre-season with only a couple flashes here and there and not really consistently looking like he did at the end of his rookie campaign. I'm not sure whether he's just keeping his powder dry (which I hope) or maybe the injuries have sapped some explosion or confidence, I'd like to hear other guys takes on him so far.

2)  Depth on the edge - Calhoun has shown practically nothing this pre-season that I can recall, I can't even remember a single moment from him on the field which is worrisome. There was a bit of buzz about him bulking up in the off-season and getting stronger but again he's been outplayed by Cowser and even by LaTroy Lewis thus far who just going by the game tap should usurp him. Do we give up on the third round pick so early?

Inside LB I'd say James and Jenkins have won those positions comfortably barring something out of the blue from Lee in the final game.

1. Eddie and Edwards showed tons of upside and potential in the first preseason game, but as you say they are far far less visible lately. Hopefully this is just the smokescreen on JDR's half...
Ward needs to show up in this last game IMO, he need the reps, he need confidence. Hester looked promising so far and while he played some against 1st team OL's the regular season will be a different animal. Hopefully he can be a solid rotational piece. 
Latham is the big questionmark for me. I thought he will really push for one of the starting gigs, but he was basically 3rd stringer. I'm curious to see what happens with him, how can he bounce back.

2. Calhoun is nothing so far. He is slow, soft and overall looks like a PS candidate...Obviously he will stick because of his draft status and he deserves some more time, but he has to show something during the season.
Lewis played against the back up's back ups, so we should be cautios with him, but he showed flashes. Will we be able to hide him in the PS or will we carry him to the 53 to be sure. Or will he get an injury during this last game ? :)

3. I also think the James-Jenkins duo is the winner, but Lee will get every opportunity to rotate in IMO and show how fast can he develope. I think Lee will rotate in a lot on early downs as a run stopper. I also think Obi Melifonwu will play lot of LB next to James in nickel packages to give us a better cover unit. 

13 hours ago, Darbsk said:

With regard to the final game and the defensive line there are two question marks still remaining for me (apart from the obvious DB concerns):

1)  Interior pressure - Vanderdoes flashed a little early on and has held the PoA pretty well I think, he's been less noticeable the last couple games and obviously being a rookie we'd give him more leeway but I'd still like to see a little something from him this final game. We've also been hearing about Ward looking all round better and we need to see at least something from him moving forward, even if its just better leverage and hand usage. He seemed to look a little more effective but if he can provide some push that would be a big bonus. Hester looks like a decent rotational guy who can at least apply a little pressure. Mario Edwards is probably my main concern though, n particular has been really quiet this pre-season with only a couple flashes here and there and not really consistently looking like he did at the end of his rookie campaign. I'm not sure whether he's just keeping his powder dry (which I hope) or maybe the injuries have sapped some explosion or confidence, I'd like to hear other guys takes on him so far.

2)  Depth on the edge - Calhoun has shown practically nothing this pre-season that I can recall, I can't even remember a single moment from him on the field which is worrisome. There was a bit of buzz about him bulking up in the off-season and getting stronger but again he's been outplayed by Cowser and even by LaTroy Lewis thus far who just going by the game tap should usurp him. Do we give up on the third round pick so early?

Inside LB I'd say James and Jenkins have won those positions comfortably barring something out of the blue from Lee in the final game.

I think Lewis should get Calhouns spot, Lewis almost looked like Mack on that athletic int return. He's shown more than Calhoun has in 2 seasons.

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I think Lewis should get Calhouns spot, Lewis almost looked like Mack on that athletic int return. He's shown more than Calhoun has in 2 seasons.

Wow , I was waiting for the first egregious preseason overstep. Granted Lewis has made a few plays but thay have be 3rd string QBs and UDFA and PS Tackles. I would love for him to be another Cowser or Lathum but I think a PS spot is more realistic. If anything he will be in competition with Hamilton and Marrow for the last spot on the 53.

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Wow , I was waiting for the first egregious preseason overstep. Granted Lewis has made a few plays but thay have be 3rd string QBs and UDFA and PS Tackles. I would love for him to be another Cowser or Lathum but I think a PS spot is more realistic. If anything he will be in competition with Hamilton and Marrow for the last spot on the 53.

I'm usually patient with guys, but Calhoun just looks worthless, might as well give his spot to Lewis and and hope for the best, can't be any worst than Calhoun. 

7 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I think you're being a little harsh here. 

While I think we have to put Lewis' performance into perspective in that he had success and made plays against fringe roster players and backups, at least he made plays - repeatedly and pretty consistently for a rookie. Calhoun hasn't been going against the firsts exclusively and has made very little impact at all so I think it's not a perfect comparison but it's about a good a gauge as we have. They will both apparently be at the lower end of the roster and if I'm honest, I'll go with the guy who's actually made plays, even if they're against the 2nd and 3rd strings versus the guy who's been anonymous the whole time.

6 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Agree.  Calhoun hasn't shown much at all.  Lewis could give us SOMETHING.  I just don't think Calhoun is a fit here.

Calhoun was actually a force today as well. I am conflicted because I think they, meaning the coaches like Calhoun's potential and ability to set the edge vs the run. I also don't wanna see Lweis in a Jet's uniform making plays. Maybe Reggie thinks about dangling Calhoun as trade bait if they really think what Lewis has done outweighs Calhoun's pedigree. The cutdown will be crazy so teams may try to jump on guys or position they need for late rd picks. But this reminds me of last year when Cowser had a nice preseason. We all thought he would be a shoe in but we only kept 13 front seven players and 11 guys in the secondary and Cowser made it to the PS and was later called up. Not saying that is what will happen but it is in the realm of possibilities.