Raiders Defense

Rolni

11 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Wasn't my boy but I did see his upside and good plays. Shame his body didn't hold up. I expect him to emerge later with another team for camp maybe next year.

He'll emerge about as much as Ben Heeney. He had no upside. He was a below average player, getting reps because the team fails to adequately seek LB talent.  Some wanted to make out to more than he was..... 

Edited by big_palooka

26 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He'll emerge about as much as Ben Heeney. He had no upside. He was a below average player, getting reps because the team fails to adequately seek LB talent.  Some wanted to make out to more than he was..... 

He's injured. Give it a rest.

5 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Whatever you say...

waiting on those lotto #s

A tired "predicting the future argument" really doesn't apply when that future is being influenced by the facts in the present and tangible evidence of what is what. 

My argument (based in fact), was James was an average on best days, frequently injured, low end draft selection who could not be relied on as part of the LB rotation. And alas, he's now off the team entirely.

So if you want your loto numbers.......  just give me 95% of them and I'll guess the rest.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

A tired "predicting the future argument" really doesn't apply when that future is being influenced by the facts in the present and tangible evidence of what is what. 

My argument (based in fact), was James was an average on best days, frequently injured, low end draft selection who could not be relied on as part of the LB rotation. And alas, he's now off the team entirely.

So if you want your loto numbers.......  just give me 95% of them and I'll guess the rest.

But your assessment of James is your opinion. Others like what they saw from him while he was on the field. The fact that he is a 24 year old kid that showed improvement as he went along didn't escape view. But as I said his body didn't hold up and that is what held him back, not his play. It is the reason he was cut.

Go pick a fight in real life.

Edited by NightTrainLane

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.raidersbeat.com/raiders-coaching-staff-more-curious-than-positive-on-karl-joseph/

On Friday afternoon, Tafur explained the reasoning behind the projection on his weekly State of the Nation podcast:

“To me the question mark is Karl Joseph… I’m not sure he’s got the stature to be the guy they want him to be in terms of he can’t really guard big tight ends. He hasn’t been the hard-hitting guy he was advertised in college, doesn’t make a lot of plays. So I just think the new staff is just a little curious about what exactly Karl Joseph does well and how he fits into the system.”

“I have a feeling they’re going to bring in a safety at some point. At this point I think the staff is more curious than positive in terms of what he brings.”

20 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I can't tell if Tafur is reporting what the staff is thinking or giving his opinion. In both Guenther and Zimmer's scheme, safeties aren't often playing man-to-man on tight ends so I'm not sure what he's getting at there.

Something I notice a lot with beat reporters is they play coy between what their opinion actually is vs. what is being fed to them via team sources. I trust Tafur's reporting more than I do his football analysis. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the staff is tepid on Joseph being a starter in 2018. He, like many other players, have a lot to prove this season.