Raiders Defense

Rolni

This could be a typo but ESPN has Obi's weight at 244.  If this is true do you think he might be switching positions and this could also be a reason why we are not looking for LB's?  Most likely answer is that it is a typo because 20 pounds since late April is a lot.  Would remind me of a faster softer version of Brian Urlacher.

13 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

This could be a typo but ESPN has Obi's weight at 244.  If this is true do you think he might be switching positions and this could also be a reason why we are not looking for LB's?  Most likely answer is that it is a typo because 20 pounds since late April is a lot.  Would remind me of a faster softer version of Brian Urlacher.

How can Obi switch to MIKE when Mack is going to?

Anyone else remember that?  No?  Cool.  Me neither.

• Like 1

So who is our backup NT? Isn't Vanderdoes around 300?  I think the team wanted him around there iirc.  Obvs MEJ, Ward, and Autry are not fits there either.  Hester keeps being talked about as generating interior pressure. So that leaves Latham.  He's a decent run stopper but he's also still a bit raw and 6'5 (hard to keep his pad level low) AND 305 pounds.  

If Jelly gets hurt (or gassed) how are we going to stop runs up the gut exactly?

Maybe things wind up playing out like this (the following post is not necessarily a prediction and no, I don't want to argue semantics about coaching about it)

Weeks 1-5 we get destroyed as bad as last year.  JDR has seen enough and hands Pagano the keys to the defense.  Pagano has ran successful 3-4s in SD and JDR has worked in a 3-4 in Denver.  Front 7 base becomes:

Eddie Vanderdoes - Justin Ellis - Mario Edwards

Bruce Irvin - Marquel Lee (TED) - Cory James - Khalil Mack

Autry, Ward backups at DE.  Hester too.  Latham backup 1T (we're dead in the water scheme aside if Jelly gets hurt).  Cowser is back up OLB.  We can find a tweener off the street to aide in pass rushing depth.  Maybe even Valles.

In nickel, Obi/Morrow swap in for Lee's spot similar to a Deone Bucannon Moneybacker role.

Maybe we play more man to help out Sean Smith and the CBs.

I wonder what someone like Todd Bowles could do here as a DC.  I feel like we're stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Some of our picks haven't panned out how we wanted (and certain picks/acquisitions could have been allocated elsewhere here and there) so now we have an unbalanced roster.  The coaches aren't totally able to adapt the scheme to the players and the players aren't totally able to adapt to the scheme.

17 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Raiders.com has him listed at 247. Weird. I'm not sure I like it if true. I can't imagine gaining 20 lbs. in the course of 4 months is good.

3 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Maybe things wind up playing out like this (the following post is not necessarily a prediction and no, I don't want to argue semantics about coaching about it)

Weeks 1-5 we get destroyed as bad as last year.  JDR has seen enough and hands Pagano the keys to the defense.  Pagano has ran successful 3-4s in SD and JDR has worked in a 3-4 in Denver.  Front 7 base becomes:

Autry, Ward backups at DE.  Hester too.  Latham backup 1T (we're dead in the water scheme aside if Jelly gets hurt).  Cowser is back up OLB.  We can find a tweener off the street to aide in pass rushing depth.  Maybe even Valles.

In nickel, Obi/Morrow swap in for Lee's spot similar to a Deone Bucannon Moneybacker role.

I wonder what someone like Todd Bowles could do here as a DC.  I feel like we're stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Some of our picks haven't panned out how we wanted (and certain picks/acquisitions could have been allocated elsewhere here and there) so now we have an unbalanced roster.  The coaches aren't totally able to adapt the scheme to the players and the players aren't totally able to adapt to the scheme.

A 3-4 would fit us well the way you broke it down, but we are hell bent on mimicking Seattle.

6 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Raiders.com has him listed at 247. Weird. I'm not sure I like it if true. I can't imagine gaining 20 lbs. in the course of 4 months is good.

If that is where he is I am sure he will be playing LB.  That is 15 pounds heavier than Chancellor.  

@Silverandblack88 - I do not know if you where trying to say I said Mack would move to ILB because I do not remember ever saying that.  I did however ask if anyone thought Irvin would be capable of doing it.  Either way my comparison did not mean he had to be the MLB just a move to a LB position.  The Urlacher comparison was a college db becoming an NFL LB with amazing coverage ability.  When has there ever been a S playing @ 245+.

11 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

@Silverandblack88 - I do not know if you where trying to say I said Mack would move to ILB because I do not remember ever saying that.  I did however ask if anyone thought Irvin would be capable of doing it.  Either way my comparison did not mean he had to be the MLB just a move to a LB position.  The Urlacher comparison was a college db becoming an NFL LB with amazing coverage ability.  When has there ever been a S playing @ 245+.

Nah someone on the old forum suggested we do that before last season and everyone disagreed.  Then Mack got DPOY as an edge rusher.

8 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

This I agree with. I've been saying it for a while now but the 3-4 just makes so much sense for us, suits our personnel better. We need to be playing our players in positions which accentuate their strengths and hide their weaknesses. For all the versatility we talk about, guys like Ellis, Lee and Smith are pretty much limited scheme wise in what they do well, Ellis is a space eater at NT with little push, Lee is a bigger, more traditional run stopping inside backer and Smith is a guy who simply has to play physical man coverage to be successful. While I agree we do look thin at NT, the good thing is that NTs are not as highly valued as the pass rushers or penetrating DTs and they can be found low down in the draft or traded/signed from FA for pretty reasonable money, Ahtyba Rubin springs to mind - not sure if he is still a FA, also Dan Williams could possibly do a solid backup job for the right amount of money if he has the desire.

11 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Front 7 base becomes:

I think we are basically already playing that as our base. The only difference is that we call Mack a DE not an OLB. He plays both of those positions...

Our base is a 5-2 in reality, which can be 3-4 or 4-3 with Mack standing up or going down in the dirt.

We will use our EDGE guys and the DL to contain the run and generate some pressure.

Lee/Adams and James will be the off ball LB's and will play pretty much like 3-4 ILB's IMO.

As you said and as we saw in pre-season we will use Obi/Morrow as nickel LB next to James and we will use the Irvin, Mack DE tandem with the Edwards, Eddie, Ward, Autry, Latham interior rotation.

I also hope that we will use more man on the outside and with S help over the top.

Last year we started to play lot more cover 4, which was another step from the Seattle principles. Right now this D scheme is not a Seattle copy IMO. 

• Like 1