Raiders Defense

Rolni

I'm expecting a 'bend don't break' Defense this season.

We don't have any stud pass rushers, but I can see a team effort where some pressure makes the play move into a team mates area and they make the play.

Lets be honest with ourselves. These guys need 2 more seasons to be difference makers on the Dline. Our vet LB's should be able to clean up any mistakes made and keep the running game in check. Our DB's are deep and young overall. What they lack in experience they make up with athletic ability and hopefully attitude. Melvin's attitude last season made me want him cut ASAP but he was paid either way so we kept him around for injury coverage.

I expect Gruden to focus more on our run game. Keep the defense fresh and off the field. Ranked 15-20 and improving each season with a 6-10 record. Baby steps with LOW expectations.

5 hours ago, Roninho said:

With how average our dline is i would expect to see Ferrell getting the double teams (if ferrell is any good)

We need our 2nd year DL guys to make a jump this year, their development will play a key role in how good/bad our defense is this year. 

The only way we hit 35+ sacks is if our DBs learn to cover for 5+ seconds.  We do not have twitchy athletes on the line that will get to the QB on there own.  I would say 1/3 to 1/2 of our sacks will be coverage sacks and we do not break 30 as a team.  That leaves us in last place again.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

The only way we hit 35+ sacks is if our DBs learn to cover for 5+ seconds.  We do not have twitchy athletes on the line that will get to the QB on there own.  I would say 1/3 to 1/2 of our sacks will be coverage sacks and we do not break 30 as a team.  That leaves us in last place again.  

I'm putting my eggs in the Hurst basket tbh.

• Like 1

I was hoping the Raiders would sign Ansah but we have showed zero interest so far while the Saints, Bills, Seahawks, and Ravens have all showed interest. I really don’t want to start the season with Arden Key as a starter. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I'm putting my eggs in the Hurst basket tbh.

PJ Hall is my pick for break out season. The jump from FCS to the NFL in your 2nd year playing a position is a very difficult transition to make. He's one of the most physically gifted DT's in the league, with a year under his belt I think he can be a productive player. His athleticism is very comparable to Aaron Donald and Ed Oliver despite the fact he's 25 pounds heavier than those guys. Before he moved to DT he was the most productive edge player in FCS history. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I was hoping the Raiders would sign Ansah but we have showed zero interest so far while the Saints, Bills, Seahawks, and Ravens have all showed interest. I really don’t want to start the season with Arden Key as a starter. 

Agreed

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I really don’t want to start the season with Arden Key as a starter. 

I'd give Mauro and Mayowa a better chance to start than Key at this point. Mauro in the base, Mayowa in the nickel.

• Like 1

Looking at snap counts Key allready was a starter for us. He had the most snaps of all DL in '18 with over 60%. 

For reference, Mayowa was at 50% for the cards, Mauro at 25% for the Giants (similar to Mario Edwards).

Anyone has some inside on Robert Quinn how he would have fitted in our defensive scheme?  He had 6,5 sacks, 15 qbhits, 9 tfl and 2 forced fumbles and played 60% of the snaps for the Dolphins. Based on name and stats i wouldnt have minded us beating the Cowboys 6th round pick they traded.

10 hours ago, Roninho said:

Anyone has some inside on Robert Quinn how he would have fitted in our defensive scheme?  He had 6,5 sacks, 15 qbhits, 9 tfl and 2 forced fumbles and played 60% of the snaps for the Dolphins. Based on name and stats i wouldnt have minded us beating the Cowboys 6th round pick they traded.

Quinn did really good in the 4-3 before getting injured. 40 sacks between 2012/13/14 seasons.  He was worth more than a 6th from us...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Is it fair to expect any improvement from our LB's next year? I'm just hoping one of the young guys/Burfict/Marshall can take a step forward so we don't have a glaring need there this upcoming offseason.

It's seems like we're forever waiting for a young player to build on a promising season at the position. Morrow flashed a couple of seasons back, but then didn't kick on. Last season both Lee and Cabinda looked good - both have some limitations, but I thought they too flashed some promise.

I expect they too will ultimately disappoint and we'll be back where we always are - hoping for a high draft pick at the position. It would be most welcome if we just lucked out and found at least one young starter. It seems to happen to other teams. You never know - maybe this is our year!

• Like 1