Raiders Defense

Rolni

19 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Or draft Marvin Wilson.

That kid looks like he could be nasty.  If I am going the draft route I am targeting Derrick Brown.  If he is blocked 1 on 1 he is in on the play and if he is doubled he is still disruptive.  A double A gap blitz with him on the line and probably 2 or 3 players have a free run at the QB.  He is great vs the run and pass and he is scheme versatile.  I wanted him with our first pick last year but he decided to go back to school even though he was a top 5 pick.

Check out him hit the RB on a RPO at 7:10.

Edited by drfrey13

Just rewatched the Brissett Pick 6. Arden Key bullrushed Quenton Nelson and put him on his ***. Hasn't had a sack and needs to be more consistent, but he's certainly gotten stronger and looks better in the run game... Players take time to develop. Sometimes it's the 3rd year jump thats the biggest. He did look really good against Denver. Let's see how these next few weeks go.

• Like 3

On 10/2/2019 at 1:58 PM, drfrey13 said:

That kid looks like he could be nasty.  If I am going the draft route I am targeting Derrick Brown.  If he is blocked 1 on 1 he is in on the play and if he is doubled he is still disruptive.  A double A gap blitz with him on the line and probably 2 or 3 players have a free run at the QB.  He is great vs the run and pass and he is scheme versatile.  I wanted him with our first pick last year but he decided to go back to school even though he was a top 5 pick.

Check out him hit the RB on a RPO at 7:10.

For being a nasty dominant force.... he gets blocked out of the play A LOT in the video that is supposed to impress me.  

3 hours ago, Totty said:

For being a nasty dominant force.... he gets blocked out of the play A LOT in the video that is supposed to impress me.  

If you want you can watch highlight tapes of players or you can watch every snap of his in a game against top talent.  He is taking on multiple blockers and freeing up every one else.  Does he make the play every time? No.  Who does?  If this kid does not impress you then I do not know who will.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at how we concede points - in particular the spread between quarters.

So far, after 5 games, we have played 20 quarters of football and conceded almost 63% of the points we have given away in only four of those quarters (2nd quarter against KC and MIN; 3rd quarter against CHI and 4th quarter versus IND). Even worse 40% of points conceded in just those two quarters against KC and CHI. Combine these stats with the fact that we have shut-out the opponent in 9 of 20 quarters seems to lend itself to two possible observations:

• On the one hand our defense is seemingly better than their stats (points conceded at least) would seem to indicate (for the most part); and then...
  • We seem to have these mental meltdowns where we just can't stop anything at all.

I realize this statistical approach does not cover the fact that these stats can be skewed by a drive taking place almost all in one quarter with the score being in the next quarter but empirically this is backed up by:

• Denver - Up 21-6, Denver on the ropes, seeing double and a bleeding nose yet we let them get it back to a one score game
  • KC - Up 10-0 at the end of the first quarter, then our team falls asleep in the second quarter and we are 28-10 down by half time
  • Indy - Up 24-10 at the end of the third quarter, and while Harris sealed the deal with the INT in Q4, it felt uncomfortably close in parts of the fourth quarter for a game we were controlling
  • Chicago - Up 17-0 at half time with Chicago in a Vulcan Death Grip of doom; 21-17 down by the end of the third quarter before getting the late win.

So, I suppose the question is, why do we seem to just hit a wall of ineptitude when we are seemingly in command? It is almost like we stop doing what was working and have a massive case of self-doubt. Is it complacency? Lack of experience (young team)? Poor play-calling? Something else?

This is less about the individual play analysis and more about our tendency / personality to make games more difficult than they need to be when we are in command and should be closing the game down. I am interested in what the Nation thinks.   

4 hours ago, Heart of Oak said:

I have been looking at how we concede points - in particular the spread between quarters.

So far, after 5 games, we have played 20 quarters of football and conceded almost 63% of the points we have given away in only four of those quarters (2nd quarter against KC and MIN; 3rd quarter against CHI and 4th quarter versus IND). Even worse 40% of points conceded in just those two quarters against KC and CHI. Combine these stats with the fact that we have shut-out the opponent in 9 of 20 quarters seems to lend itself to two possible observations:

• On the one hand our defense is seemingly better than their stats (points conceded at least) would seem to indicate (for the most part); and then...
  • We seem to have these mental meltdowns where we just can't stop anything at all.

I realize this statistical approach does not cover the fact that these stats can be skewed by a drive taking place almost all in one quarter with the score being in the next quarter but empirically this is backed up by:

• Denver - Up 21-6, Denver on the ropes, seeing double and a bleeding nose yet we let them get it back to a one score game
  • KC - Up 10-0 at the end of the first quarter, then our team falls asleep in the second quarter and we are 28-10 down by half time
  • Indy - Up 24-10 at the end of the third quarter, and while Harris sealed the deal with the INT in Q4, it felt uncomfortably close in parts of the fourth quarter for a game we were controlling
  • Chicago - Up 17-0 at half time with Chicago in a Vulcan Death Grip of doom; 21-17 down by the end of the third quarter before getting the late win.

So, I suppose the question is, why do we seem to just hit a wall of ineptitude when we are seemingly in command? It is almost like we stop doing what was working and have a massive case of self-doubt. Is it complacency? Lack of experience (young team)? Poor play-calling? Something else?

This is less about the individual play analysis and more about our tendency / personality to make games more difficult than they need to be when we are in command and should be closing the game down. I am interested in what the Nation thinks.   

We lack weapons in the pass game on offense. Waller is nice, but Williams has been hot and cold and can't carry the load as a #1. If more dudes can emerge as truly viable starters at WR, more drives will keep going. Gruden is also calling YAC passing plays that aren't working and result in hit or miss drives.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heart of Oak said:

Do you run faster when chasing someone or when being chased.  The chaser from my experience and observations have always been faster because the focus on a positive goal, going to catch my target,  and the negative goal, do not get caught, becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.  The subconscious does not hear the not.  I have read that it only hears caught so it happens.  Granted this has limitations (No matter how strongly I believe I can run a sub 2 hr marathon I am almost certain I never will be able to catch Eliud Kipchoge).

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Do you run faster when chasing someone or when being chased.  The chaser from my experience and observations have always been faster because the focus on a positive goal, going to catch my target,  and the negative goal, do not get caught, becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.  The subconscious does not hear the not.  I have read that it only hears caught so it happens.  Granted this has limitations (No matter how strongly I believe I can run a sub 2 hr marathon I am almost certain I never will be able to catch Eliud Kipchoge).

I like your example - their goal becomes to score points where as ours becomes not to score points (rather than scoring more). Though this is true for every team. I get that part of this is on the offense as well (like in the Chicago game when suddenly fumbles, miscues and penalties started killing drives). They just need to stop trying to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory as mt poor heart can't take it! :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Heart of Oak said:

I like your example - their goal becomes to score points where as ours becomes not to score points (rather than scoring more). Though this is true for every team. I get that part of this is on the offense as well (like in the Chicago game when suddenly fumbles, miscues and penalties started killing drives). They just need to stop trying to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory as mt poor heart can't take it! :)

This has been something I have noticed from Carr most of his career.  He is frustrating to watch when we are up but an assassin when we are down and it is close.  I am not sure how the stats play out but it is how I remember it.

• Like 1