Raiders Defense

Rolni

52 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

How so? He's hyped because he was a projected first round pick that fell. But he's not lived up to that first round grade. He's been very average and hasn't built much on last year.

Let's not forget the heart condition was the biggest reason for the tumble. Would he have fallen anyway? Maybe. But to the 5th? Unlikely. Further, he's gotten the opportunities of a 5th round pick. Not a 2nd. PJ has gotten more chances. This year he's been better but last year Hurst was better. I think he would benefit from more reps. Does that mean he'd be Geno Atkins? No. But more reps would probably lead to more improvement from him.

• Like 1

If we even had an average NFL D right now we'd be sitting around 6-2. Sure a shiny new WR would be nice but I can't get on board with not going D with the first two picks at this moment. Seeing opposing QB's have 5+ seconds in the pocket, our LBers trailing players 3 yards behind, our CB's getting beaten again and again... enough is enough. 

Get Abram back healthy, use our first 2 picks on a DE and LB, sign a couple high echelon defensive players and then let's properly evaluate PG.

40 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

If we even had an average NFL D right now we'd be sitting around 6-2. Sure a shiny new WR would be nice but I can't get on board with not going D with the first two picks at this moment. Seeing opposing QB's have 5+ seconds in the pocket, our LBers trailing players 3 yards behind, our CB's getting beaten again and again... enough is enough. 

Get Abram back healthy, use our first 2 picks on a DE and LB, sign a couple high echelon defensive players and then let's properly evaluate PG.

Your last paragraph is what my plan would be.  Evan Weaver from Cal would be a great “leader” type LB for our D, imo.  Draft him with our 2nd 1st rounder and a DE with the Bears pick.  Getting Abram back will be a big boost over what we have.  Joyner also needs to move back to safety or get released because he isn’t a good nickel.  

Yeah our defense needs a lot of work, but we have a ton of resources to throw at it in the off-season. Free agency is the key. Now is the time to pick up a few big names on defense like we did on offense last year. Once we find out what that haul looks like, then we can focus on rounding out the roster in the draft.

It's way too early to know what we will get and then need.

4 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Isaiah Johnson should return for the Thursday night game. Really excited to see him play. Well get to see Worley at Safety which I’m looking forward to seeing how he does there. Maybe the Raiders can replace Joyner with him. 

Worley has played safety at times this year with not a lot of success. Joyner has been really disappointing.

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Worley has played safety at times this year with not a lot of success. Joyner has been really disappointing.

What game did he play safety? I don't remember seeing Worley at safety at all this year.

Worley is David Amerson redux. He'll flash a downfield interception here and there, but in-between those plays he's a mess. That said, I'm not sure Isaiah Johnson can do anything but play zone this year. He seemed really raw to play any meaningful snaps in year one.

Edited by Rich7sena

4 hours ago, true2form said:

Yeah our defense needs a lot of work, but we have a ton of resources to throw at it in the off-season. Free agency is the key. Now is the time to pick up a few big names on defense like we did on offense last year. Once we find out what that haul looks like, then we can focus on rounding out the roster in the draft.

It's way too early to know what we will get and then need.

This. We always go on and on about how much cap space we'll have. Let's throw it at meaningful positions of need and land someone proven. 

While I'm not against drafting guys, we've spent 8 picks on DE/DT in the first 4 rounds since 2015's draft. Edwards, Vanderdoes, Ward, Calhoun, Hall, Key, Crosby, Ferrell. Toss in Hurst, that's 9. Our track record with guys in the first 3 rounds has been....not good. Hall is the only one showing consistent potential thus far (although the jury is still out on Ferrell). That being said, we seem to locate solid guys in the 4th and later (Crosby, Hurst). 

I'd rather see us toss some money at a proven pass rusher or 2 and use our early picks at LB or DB (we have a little better track record there). 

I'm content with our offense for the most part, so we can load up on depth FAs and some spare draft picks if someone falls. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Can't argue this. Unless CeeDee lamb or juedy slides to us. Won't be mad with DE and stud MLB or OLB

9 hours ago, Geezy said:

Half way through the year and we already have 2 more sacks hat we did all of last season. Still nowhere near where we need to be, but still better than where we were.

I said this at the beginning of the year that we could double our sack numbers from last year and still have the least amount of sacks in the league.

7 hours ago, Dessie said:

Why not move Lawson to the slot and Joyner back to safety.  Rotate Johnson, Worley, and Mullen on the outside.

Now I do not know where to ask this and it is a long shot but what happens with Abram and Burfict if we make the playoffs.  Are either allowed back on the roster.  I do not know if Abram will recover in time but can players come off the IR and be placed on the playoff roster?  Since Burfict received a season long suspension does that count for the post season?  Seems a little unfair to state it is a 12 game suspension and then increase it if we play better and make the playoffs.  I think the punishment should be given in games and then he should be reinstated.  Whether he is on the roster in the post season should be our choice not the leagues.