Raiders Defense

Rolni

7 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Now I do not know where to ask this and it is a long shot but what happens with Abram and Burfict if we make the playoffs.  Are either allowed back on the roster.  I do not know if Abram will recover in time but can players come off the IR and be placed on the playoff roster?  Since Burfict received a season long suspension does that count for the post season?  Seems a little unfair to state it is a 12 game suspension and then increase it if we play better and make the playoffs.  I think the punishment should be given in games and then he should be reinstated.  Whether he is on the roster in the post season should be our choice not the leagues.

I'm fairly sure Abram can come back, though I could be wrong (the whole IR w/ ability to return thing)

Burfict is out though. His suspension was for the season- regardless of how long that may be. It sucks, but it is what it is. 

With Arden Key now out, I think we need to focus on giving Ferrell/Crosby/Mayowa/Mauro more reps, particularly Ferrell and Crosby. That being said, there are several guys I wouldn't mind bringing in for workouts- George Iloka, Mason Foster, Dion Jordan come to mind. We clearly don't see Brandon Marshall as worthwhile, so I hope we get more creative rather than just resigning him.....unless he's clearly a better fit than anyone else. 

19 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

What game did he play safety? I don't remember seeing Worley at safety at all this year.

Worley is David Amerson redux. He'll flash a downfield interception here and there, but in-between those plays he's a mess. That said, I'm not sure Isaiah Johnson can do anything but play zone this year. He seemed really raw to play any meaningful snaps in year one.

Worley played some snaps against the Chiefs at safety. 

I'm really bummed about the injury to Joseph, he was really starting to play at a very high level and I've noticed a few games where he comes up, lays the wood and really sets the tempo for the D, I think we'll miss him more than initially thought. I'd like to resign him and keep him around as he's a real Gruden Grinder of a player but not sure what his chances are now that we've got Abram too who looks quite similar and Harris is looking like a keeper moving forward. 

4 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I'm really bummed about the injury to Joseph, he was really starting to play at a very high level and I've noticed a few games where he comes up, lays the wood and really sets the tempo for the D, I think we'll miss him more than initially thought. I'd like to resign him and keep him around as he's a real Gruden Grinder of a player but not sure what his chances are now that we've got Abram too who looks quite similar and Harris is looking like a keeper moving forward. 

I think he'll be brought back, even if it's just for one year. The S market is usually slow, Joseph isn't an elite talent and he'll be coming off injury. If the Raiders come up with a 1 year prove it deal, i think it ends up being his best option.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 2:40 AM, oakdb36 said:

I guess Ferrell didn't have 1 pressure like it was reported not long ago. Or he has been on fire lately.

Ferrell and Maxx were tied for pressures going into the Charger game at 15 each. Ferrell also had 5-6 against the Lions (and he was going against a solid Tackle). So yeah, he’s heating up. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Any thought that Abram might be playing Nickel LB next year? Would certainly help alleviate some of our LB issues...

Joseph/Abram/Harris on 3rd down would be pretty solid IMO, though we could draft a prospect to cover TE.

Or, here me out...... draft LINEBACKERS

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Simmons, Murray, Moses, hell.... Dye.... There is some talent in this draft... Use your picks accordingly.  I don't know if we need to focus on (time will tell) EDGE like we did last year.  We can look into fixing the LB core. 

I just run through the defensive roster and tried to see what we have and what we need for next year.

DT:

I think we are set at NT with Hankins as the starter and Hall as the back up. Both of them are good against the run and they can even be used next to each other in run heavy sets.
I think we need to add an impact UT, because Hurst seems to be just a guy there. Actually I think he can be a solid rotational piece, but I don't see an impact starter in him.

Chris Jones would be an FA, whom I would target, but I doubt he hits the market. Hargraves, Reed, Collins, Armstead would be interesting guys, but all of them have some question marks, so I wouldn't go all in on them.

The middle and the second part of the first round could be a good spot for a new DT too.

DE:

By the end of the season the staff has to decide what we have in Crosby and Ferrell. Do we have our bookends? Do we have a starter and a rotational guy? Do we have 2 rotational players? After this they can decide what to do in the FA session and during the draft. It would be sweet if both of them put on a show from now on and we could say we only need depth behind them, but that is a reach at this point IMO. Mayowa is a guy I would try to bring back for sure and maybe Mauro and Jordan too will worth another try at least till TC. Key is a guy who will stick around, but he needs to really show up to the TC to get on the roster next year IMO. He was a non factor last year and he was pretty much a non factor this year, before his injury. There could be some interesting FA options, but value wise Mayowa might be our best option again. We could target another DE early in the draft if we want to, but if we feel good enough about Ferrell and Crosby we might be better to collect some quality veterans around them, rather then get another young gun early. Then again you can never have enough pass rushers and a guy like AJ Epenesa could be a good fit, since he and Ferrell could play in and out, so we could rock all 3 young guys together for impact.

LB:

We must deal with this unit finally. Currently we don't have a single guy on D, who can play quality all around football for us. Whitehead is a solid guy against the run, but can't play the pass well enough, while Morrow can play solid as a cover guy, but can't tackle well enough and is not consistent enough to be a steady starter. Ideally I would blow up the unit and start from the scratch, but this year's LB group in free agency will be really weak IMO. I expect Schobert, Littletone and Thompson to be re-signed.

I would keep Whithead around as veteran presence and as a guy who can call the D if needed, but I would use him as a 2 down SLB. I would offer the lowest RFA tender for Morrow to be a safety net at WLB. I would keep M.Lee around as Tahir's back up and as an ST player. I would try to grab a solid MLB option via FA and possibly bring back Compton or P.Brown as insurance policy. Then I would like to go LB in round 1 and possibly in round 3 or 4 too.

Isaiah Simmons would fit in really well with Ferrell and Mullen :), but I would be ok with Kenneth Murray too. We need to finally have a true every down LB in the line up. Then come back later with another modern day LB in the middle of the draft. 

CB:

I think we find a really good player in Mullen and I'm optimistic in Johnson as well. He had a solid play against the Bengals and I just hope that he can be at least a solid depth/#4 guy for us next year.

I think Worley will get an extension and while I'm not his biggest fan, he should get one if he ends this season on a high note. I also think that Joyner needs to go and because of that Lawson might stick around as the veteran NCB.

I would like to attack Darqueze Dennard in the FA market, so we could have a pretty strong CB unit. He played well for PG and if I recall correctly he played both inside and outside under Paulie. 

Mullen-Worley-Dennard would be a formidable trio and the Lawson-Johnson duo would be solid depth, with nice potential on Johnson's half.

S:

Abram is a lock for one of the starting spots and I hope we bring back Joseph, who really started to look good back there. E.Harris is a great option as a 3rd S. We would have speed, size and good dudes on the back end. I would really like some 3 S looks with either one of them being close to the los as a S/LB hybrid while the other 2 drops back. We could have 3 CB's - 3S's and a former S at LB with Simmons as our back 7, which would give us much needed speed and cover ability.

Pretty sure Crosby and Ferrell are our starting DEs in 2020. Ferrell is the #4 overall, they're not giving up on him after his rookie season and they shouldn't. Crosby is playing very well in a starting role so why would they want to replace him? Key will be back as well. The question is who the depth will be. I'm fine with bringing back Mayowa and one of Jordan/Mauro. If there's a guy they like available from the 3rd to 7th round, bring him in.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Pretty sure Crosby and Ferrell are our starting DEs in 2020. Ferrell is the #4 overall, they're not giving up on him after his rookie season and they shouldn't. Crosby is playing very well in a starting role so why would they want to replace him? Key will be back as well. The question is who the depth will be. I'm fine with bringing back Mayowa and one of Jordan/Mauro. If there's a guy they like available from the 3rd to 7th round, bring him in.

I agree. I think we have seen enough from the rookies and Mayowa to bring him back and role with them as our top 3 for next season. Key can battle it out with another veteran and look in the middle rounds for a guy with high upside. I think we've seen enough to have those guys be our starters at edge to the point where we likely wont invest in a DE in the first. 

DT is a different story IMO. But our starters at DE are set for at least another season with what we have seen out of the young guys, assuming they continue to play well and improve down the stretch which I expect. 

On 11/5/2019 at 9:26 AM, ronjon1990 said:

I'm fairly sure Abram can come back, though I could be wrong (the whole IR w/ ability to return thing)

Burfict is out though. His suspension was for the season- regardless of how long that may be. It sucks, but it is what it is. 

With Arden Key now out, I think we need to focus on giving Ferrell/Crosby/Mayowa/Mauro more reps, particularly Ferrell and Crosby. That being said, there are several guys I wouldn't mind bringing in for workouts- George Iloka, Mason Foster, Dion Jordan come to mind. We clearly don't see Brandon Marshall as worthwhile, so I hope we get more creative rather than just resigning him.....unless he's clearly a better fit than anyone else. 

I would love to see Abram blowup one of these running quarterbacks

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I agree with you, but in dime, I feel like he could be a very strong LB type on 3rd down, playing shallow zones and the middle of the field.

I think we should be looking to bring in a FA (see what I wrote in the other thread for names) AND draft one too.