Raiders Defense

Rolni

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Some interesting thoughts on the defense and some wrinkles and changes that may be coming our way during the season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTr1zIB7ZYw

He does a pretty good job of breaking down the defence versus Dallas and honestly it's so easy to miss the little things without going back and reviewing it.

Really like that guys vids. He's got a few. Hope he does more over the season.

10 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm 99% sure we won't bring him in, but I'd love Lamarr Houston back. Him and Mario can do similar things in terms of being a big end. We've invested too much in youth on the interior to do it, but I'd love to see him back in the Silver and Black on a buy low 1 year deal.

Strange how it works out, but I think after we drafted Houston we asked him to slim down and play a role for us which he did pretty well though he wasn't always best suited to it - he never really looked explosive enough or to have the fast first step to be a stand up rusher which he did for us at times.  But I always felt like he would be a very good fit in our system currently if we could turn back the hands of time and have him as he was then, would have been a like for like kind of player with MEJ, playing around the 290 mark as he was a very powerful guy. They've actually got eerily similar measurables:

Lamarr Houston Pre-draft measurables

Pre-draft measurables
Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40‑yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20‑ss 3‑cone Vert jump Broad BP
6 ft 2 58 in
(1.90 m)
305 lb
(138 kg)
33 in
(0.84 m)
10 in
(0.25 m)
4.84 s 1.68 s 2.80 s 4.71 s 7.61 s 33 12 in
(0.85 m)
9 ft 6 in
(2.90 m)
30 reps
All values from NFL Combine[3]

Mario Edwards Jr Pre-draft measurables

Pre-draft measurables
Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40‑yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20‑ss 3‑cone Vert jump Broad BP
6 ft 3 in
(1.91 m)
279 lb
(127 kg)
33 14 in
(0.84 m)
10 78 in
(0.28 m)
4.84 s 1.76 s 2.84 s 4.55 s 7.44 s 32 12 in
(0.83 m)
10 ft 0 in
(3.05 m)
32 reps
All values from NFL Combine[11]
Edited by Darbsk

33 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Strange how it works out, but I think after we drafted Houston we asked him to slim down and play a role for us which he did pretty well though he wasn't always best suited to it - he never really looked explosive enough or to have the fast first step to be a stand up rusher which he did for us at times.  But I always felt like he would be a very good fit in our system currently if we could turn back the hands of time and have him as he was then, would have been a like for like kind of player with MEJ, playing around the 290 mark as he was a very powerful guy. They've actually got eerily similar measurables:

Lamarr Houston Pre-draft measurables

Pre-draft measurables
6 ft 2 58 in
(1.90 m)
305 lb
(138 kg)
33 in
(0.84 m)
10 in
(0.25 m)
4.84 s 1.68 s 2.80 s 4.71 s 7.61 s 33 12 in
(0.85 m)
9 ft 6 in
(2.90 m)
30 reps
All values from NFL Combine[3]

Mario Edwards Jr Pre-draft measurables

Pre-draft measurables
6 ft 3 in
(1.91 m)
279 lb
(127 kg)
33 14 in
(0.84 m)
10 78 in
(0.28 m)
4.84 s 1.76 s 2.84 s 4.55 s 7.44 s 32 12 in
(0.83 m)
10 ft 0 in
(3.05 m)
32 reps
All values from NFL Combine[11]

Yeah I agree. He's a mario clone physically. Maybe its some nostalgia, but I want him back.

13 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Some interesting thoughts on the defense and some wrinkles and changes that may be coming our way during the season:

He does a pretty good job of breaking down the defence versus Dallas and honestly it's so easy to miss the little things without going back and reviewing it.

Great stuff!

Thanks for sharing!

Vic Tafur: I know you are tight with (defensive coordinator) Ken Norton (Jr.). What was the reaction among the players like when they brought in John Pagano as the assistant head coach of defense?

Mack: Nobody knew what that was about, for real. Ken is one of the best coaches I have ever had in my life. Knowing his personality, he wasn’t sweating them bringing in Pagano. He knows nobody should ever be comfortable. He knows the defense wasn’t that good last season. But he’s not going to worry about whether someone is stepping on his toes or not, and John has been great.

Being positive is what Ken is all about. His leadership rubs off on me and all the guys. We’re all accountable, for ourselves and for Ken.

23 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Excellent video, great insight on the little things like you say. 

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Can you or someone else post the quote about Mack talking about defense in free agency? I forget the exact quote, but I thought it was pretty interesting.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/raiders/khalil-mack-raiders-lack-defensive-signings-shocker-everybody

Posted the whole article link to stay within forum rules and be sure everyone gets the proper context.

6 hours ago, Rolni said:

I think the D played better against the run as we thought they would.

We still had too many blown coverages...Walker was feasting in the 2nd half as TE's used to last year...

Most of those weren't blown coverages. He did have 3 legit catches straight up coverage with KJ and SS in the 3rd for 30yrds. But in the 4th Qtr after we had the lead the defense adjusted and was playing the boundary and keeping the passes in front of them to keep them in bounds and the clock running. It was a clear shift that the Titans used with Walker and Davis in the slot. 

9ycWtQu.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Underrated draft need: Edge

I think we need to draft/bring in a twitchy speed guy as Irvin gets older and as depth. Calhoun was NOT that guy.

I wouldn't even consider that an underrated draft need. We are always seem to have guys we are developing at a position just in case. Reggie and co have been good about that. Even with Calhoun on the PS I think we'll definitely address it next year.

Should be a good draft for the position as well by just looking at the guys available. It could change of course.

Edited by NightTrainLane