Jaguars hire John DeFlippo as OC

.Buzz

18 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Idc about height but his weight and ability to not crumble under a DT that is almost twice his size is worrisome

have to remember defenders arent allowed to put their full weight on qbs.   

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2018-rules-changes-and-points-of-emphasis/

PROTECTION OF QUARTERBACKS

The Committee reviewed hits on quarterbacks inside and outside the pocket. In some instances, the defender used all or part of his body weight to land on the quarterback immediately after the ball was thrown. These actions put the quarterback at risk for injury. The Officiating Department will emphasize that the defender is responsible for avoiding landing on the quarterback when taking him to the ground.

6 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

And yet it happens and despite a 15 yard penalty and/or a fine, Murray might die and we're down a starting QB

i wouldnt be too worried if we get our 2 weakest spots solidified this offseason.  if we returned our starting group id be considered because Parnell and Cann sucked at protecting the qb and im sure murray would help escape that pressure but that could lead to some hits but in reality hes probably only 15 pounds lighter then lamar if we are being honest cuz i really dont think Lamar is really 215 pounds. he seems to be more like 210 pounds to 205 pounds even vick was 210 pounds and i think murray can put on a few pounds and still stay real athletic. 

7 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

i wouldnt be too worried if we get our 2 weakest spots solidified this offseason.  if we returned our starting group id be considered because Parnell and Cann sucked at protecting the qb and im sure murray would help escape that pressure but that could lead to some hits but in reality hes probably only 15 pounds lighter then lamar if we are being honest cuz i really dont think Lamar is really 215 pounds. he seems to be more like 210 pounds to 205 pounds even vick was 210 pounds and i think murray can put on a few pounds and still stay real athletic. 

When you think about weight you should think in relation to height. 10 extra pounds on Murray’s 5’9 to 5’11 frame could slow him down it’s not like being 6’3 190 and adding 10 pounds. I’m not really concerned with Murray taking hits because of his weight, you’re either good enough to play in the league or you’re not. 

8 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

When you think about weight you should think in relation to height. 10 extra pounds on Murray’s 5’9 to 5’11 frame could slow him down it’s not like being 6’3 190 and adding 10 pounds. I’m not really concerned with Murray taking hits because of his weight, you’re either good enough to play in the league or you’re not. 

Being good enough to play and being able to get on the field to show how good you are....2 different things

9 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Wilson put on 10-15 pounds from high school to pro.  Murray has already put on appx 20 pounds since high school. Hes still athletic and he could add a lil more weight to help him 

On 18/01/2019 at 4:51 PM, LinderFournette said:

have to remember defenders arent allowed to put their full weight on qbs.   

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2018-rules-changes-and-points-of-emphasis/

They're allowed to do whatever the heck they want to QBs...

1)if they don't mind taking the penalty in exchange for wiping out that QB as well.

2)if they're actually finishing a sack, rather than following through on a hit after the ball has been released.

Neither of which bodes well for a pint sized QB like Murray in the NFL.  Especially not for a guy like Murray who relies a lot on his raw athleticism and running ability to set things up for his arm.  Unless he's an absolute wizard when it comes to avoiding contact like Russell Wilson, he's going to take a lot of hits in the NFL.  Big ones.  Legal ones.  Illegal ones.  He's going to get crunched a bunch if he wants to maintain that running ability as a threat.  Even guys like Wilson, Brees, Mayfield who are really good at avoiding it...get hit hard at times.  And in his 1 year as a college starter...Murray ran for very slightly less yards than Wilson or Mayfield did over his entire 4 year NCAA career.  Running is a much bigger part of Kyler's game.  He's much more like a pocket-sized Cam Newton than he is a Russell Wilson/Baker Mayfield type.  I don't have a ton of confidence in a guy sustaining the kind of beating Newton takes at like...half the size.

Yeah, Murray is tricky. I love his game though.

Will be interesting how the next few months go. I'm just happy we're getting a guy who has a good track record with QBs and going away from a status quo hire. I feel like DeFlippo brings an entirely new mindset than Marrone which can be good as long as they work well together/Marrone let's him do his thing.

12 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, Murray is tricky. I love his game though.

Will be interesting how the next few months go. I'm just happy we're getting a guy who has a good track record with QBs and going away from a status quo hire. I feel like DeFlippo brings an entirely new mindset than Marrone which can be good as long as they work well together/Marrone let's him do his thing.

Yeah.  How Doug and DeFilippo work together is going to be key.  Can't have guys pulling in different directions within a staff.  That's a recipe for dysfunction.

That's where i don't mind this hire, as it seems like there's a pretty clear hierarchy to it.  Doesn't feel like a guy who is going to be a threat to "take over" at this stage.  Which looked like a potential problem with a couple of the names floated at various points.  But we are still getting what looks like a pretty fresh/different perspective into the coaching room.  Which was obviously badly needed on that side of the ball after all the sorta "status quo" internal promotion type stuff we've gone through looking incredibly stale.

Archived