FA fits for the Steelers

jebrick

I was looking through a list of possible FA for this coming season.  I saw quite a few THat I would love to see them make a run for.

I will leave off some of higher priced FA for those I think will get the tag.

Anthony Barr - I liked Barr coming out for a 34 olb.  He has been playing as a 4-3 olb so his price will be cheap.  But is he as good as some of the others listed below?

Za'Darius Smith OLB - 26 with 8.5 sacks and 60 QB pressures.

Henry Anderson - A great 5-tech DL.

John Brown WR - First person I would call on opening day of FA

Shaquil Barrett - OLB  Another pretty decent edge player

Markus Golden - OLB  I really hope the Steelers sign this guy.  Should be cheap as he had an off year.

No CBs in my list.  Either they will be really expensive (Roby and Joyner) or I do not really like them (Joyner).

I don't think Barr will be cheap. I bet he gets a hefty deal. I talked to some Vikes fans and they seemed to think he would fit better as an ILB in a 3-4. They said he has no real pass rushing moves and his sacks come fairly cheap. 

I'm a big fan of Golden. He's stout and I feel like he could play with his hand in the dirt or standing. I think he'll help our run defense too. I think you're right about signing him on the cheap. He missed all of the year two years ago and was working his way back. He's certainly better than Chick and will improve our depth immensely. I think Dupree will be back. Also, if you check out his page on pro football reference it says he played for the Steelers after the Cardinals and wore #39. So.....fate?

6 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I was looking through a list of possible FA for this coming season.  I saw quite a few That I would love to see them make a run for.

I will leave off some of higher priced FA for those I think will get the tag.

Anthony Barr - I liked Barr coming out for a 34 olb.  He has been playing as a 4-3 olb so his price will be cheap.  But is he as good as some of the others listed below?

Not so sure that Barr will be cheap.  I am assuming that you are moving on from Bud. Although he could be a good fit for our OLB corp. I don't think the Steelers move on from Dupree as while he didn't have a lot of sacks, I thought he had more consistent pressure throughout the year than TJ Watt.  Watt got the sack #'s, but had a few games where he got three sacks. Watt came on strong late in the year, but early on and most of the year, I thought he disappeared at times pass rushing.  Chickello needs to be replaced and either of the young guys should do that next year. We can't pay both a starting OLB like Barr and Bud to rotate at OLB.  I think the team looks more for the Hybrid Type Safety to replace Burnett.

Za'Darius Smith OLB - 26 with 8.5 sacks and 60 QB pressures.

Solid player. However, I am not sure that I get a whole lot more with him than Bud.

Henry Anderson - A great 5-tech DL.

I like him, but the team seems to be trending towards more Hargraves types on the inside.  Cam and Tuitt are unique in that they can generate pass rush inside or outside and the Steelers are playing more and more four man Nickel fronts. Could we get Aaron Donald? LOL

John Brown WR - First person I would call on opening day of FA

He would be a good fit for our offense and kind of got lost on the Ravens during LaMaar's development and the Ravens shift toward the ground game.  With all of the AB drama, he could be a nice piece that could help in the long ball game while Ju Ju and Washington continue to develop.

Shaquil Barrett - OLB  Another pretty decent edge player

Do we go after a 3-4 type OLB or do we go after a 4-3 pass rushing DE?  I know he will cost money, but wouldn't a player like Frank Clark fit our defense better than a pure 3-4OLB?

Markus Golden - OLB  I really hope the Steelers sign this guy.  Should be cheap as he had an off year.

Markus Golden has been going down the past few years. Is that because his play production or is it because of team/scheme? I am a little afraid of this pick.

No CBs in my list.  Either they will be really expensive (Roby and Joyner) or I do not really like them (Joyner).

I like Roby.  I liked him coming out of college. He is not elite or lock-down, but a solid consistent player who would fit in our scheme.

I like Shaquil Barrett a lot and I think the Steelers tries hard to sign him as a UDFA.  I think he would be a good fit, but I don’t think he will be cheap.

I like Barr too. I think he fits the mold and direct the Steelers are trying to go with their OLBs.  However,  I think he is going to be a top paid FA.

I really think we need to cut Morgan Burnett and sign one of the safeties out there.  I think they imagined a lot more of the multiple safety looks with a $lb, but couldn’t bc of Burnett’s health.

Would love Mathieu in a nickel CB/safety role. 

i think KJ Wright could be an option at ILB, but given his age I’m not sure it’s the Steelers MO.

what about Shane Ray? Too many injuries? He might be a player that will only get a 1 year prove it deal due to injuries . 

I noticed all the Edge prospects in the OP.  @jebrickdo you expect them to keep dupree and these would be depth prospects or do you expect them to let dupree walk and these would be starters?

I agree @jebrick I don't want to see Chick on the roster anymore. He's a waste. His ST value is overrated and he is trash on defense. I'd like to sign someone and draft someone. Let them all compete with Adams and Ola. We'll need a new starter most likely after Dupree is gone after next year, plus depth. The only guy we can build on at OLB right now is Watt. 

Archived