Austin Kendall transferring to WVU from OU

naptownskinsfan

NCAA needs to step in and do the right thing and let Kendall play.  It's not his fault they decided to go in a different direction with Hurts, and then want to can him from going elsewhere in the same division.  That's their problem, not his.  

College football teams will never, ever cease to amaze me.

Late last week, it was reported that Austin Kendall had decided to take a graduate transfer out of Oklahoma and continue his playing career elsewhere.  One of the strongest possibilities to be that elsewhere is West Virginia, which also happens to be a member of the same conference as OU.

In that vein, Jake Trotter of ESPN.com reports, OU is blocking Kendall from receiving immediate eligibility at WVU should the quarterback decided to transfer to the Mountaineers.  Under normal NCAA rules, a player who graduates from one institution is immediately eligible to play at another FBS program; because the two schools are in the same conference, and because the Big 12 isn’t as sensible as the SEC, OU is permitted to block Kendall from becoming immediately eligible at another league program.

OU can’t block Kendall from transferring to WVU altogether, although if he did he would, at least for the moment, have to sit out the 2019 season.  That would leave the grad transfer with one year of eligibility he could use in 2020.

Based on previous precedent involving Baker Mayfield, it appears Kendall could walk-on at WVU and be immediately eligible. It’s unclear if that’s a tack he will consider as he has other options that would involve a scholarship, including Auburn, where he visited this past weekend.

Kendall has been with the Sooners for three seasons after signing as a four-star member of OU’s 2016 recruiting class.  His first two years were spent backing up the 2017 Heisman Trophy winner, Mayfield, while this past season, after losing an offseason quarterback competition, was spent backing up 2018 Heisman winner Kyler Murray.

In limited playing time, Kendall has completed 28-of-39 passes for 265 yards and three touchdowns

Earlier Wednesday, Jalen Hurts officially announced that he is leaving Alabama as a graduate transfer and moving to OU, seemingly slamming the door shut for a return of Kendall to Norman.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/16/report-oklahoma-blocking-grad-transfer-austin-kendall-from-immediate-eligibility-at-west-virginia/

Just now, CWood21 said:

Let's not pretend like everyone wouldn't do the same thing.  I'd anticipate programs to block inside conference.

Not grad transfers tho.  They put their time in so let them go where they want.  If they’re underclassmen, then by all means block in conference transfers.  

And if OU is worried about little old West Virginia, well... that’s hilarious.  

Just now, thrILL! said:

Not grad transfers tho.  They put their time in so let them go where they want.  If they’re underclassmen, then by all means block in conference transfers.  

And if OU is worried about little old West Virginia, well... that’s hilarious.  

I think it's just a bad precedent that nobody really wants.  You don't use a scholarship, develop the player, and end up seeing him transferring within division.  I'm not going to pretend that I'm privy to what is going on during Kendall's decision, but it seems weird the only program he wanted to go to is West Virginia.  In an ideal world, he would have chosen a program outside of the Big 12 and this wouldn't be an issue.  But the part I find most amusing is the poor attempt to compare this to Baker Mayfield.  Baker Mayfield was a walk-on who decided to transfer.  Austin Kendall has been on scholarship the last 3 years.  Completely different situations.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think it's just a bad precedent that nobody really wants.  You don't use a scholarship, develop the player, and end up seeing him transferring within division.  I'm not going to pretend that I'm privy to what is going on during Kendall's decision, but it seems weird the only program he wanted to go to is West Virginia.  In an ideal world, he would have chosen a program outside of the Big 12 and this wouldn't be an issue.  But the part I find most amusing is the poor attempt to compare this to Baker Mayfield.  Baker Mayfield was a walk-on who decided to transfer.  Austin Kendall has been on scholarship the last 3 years.  Completely different situations.

I hear you.  Tbh I don’t even know who replaced Holgorsen and if that hire is the reason he picked there.  What’s up with the younger QBs at OU that they even need to get Hurts?  I would imagine that would be an attractive spot for talented HS recruits.  Or did Murray scare them off?

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

WVU is a guaranteed starting job for him with Will Grier leaving, and a brand new coaching staff being put in.  It's a chance for him to showcase his talent and the focus to be on him for the year.  

Just now, thrILL! said:

I hear you.  Tbh I don’t even know who replaced Holgorsen and if that hire is the reason he picked there.  What’s up with the younger QBs at OU that they even need to get Hurts?  I would imagine that would be an attractive spot for talented HS recruits.  Or did Murray scare them off?

Neal Brown left Troy for WVU. 

3 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Oklahoma actually isn't as flush with QBs as some make him out to be.  Austin Kendall was projected to be the starting QB in '19, but between his transfer and Hurts coming in, they are giving Kendall's scholarship to Hurts.  But beyond Hurts/Kendall, the only QBs who got scholarships coming out of high school is Tanner Mordecai (3* recruit last year) and now Spencer Rattler.  Mordecai redshirted last year, but he figures to be the primary backup to Jalen Hurts this year and they'll probably use the year to redshirt Rattler with the eye of having him take over in 2020.  That probably will be the plan moving forward.

5 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

WVU is a guaranteed starting job for him with Will Grier leaving, and a brand new coaching staff being put in.  It's a chance for him to showcase his talent and the focus to be on him for the year.  

And West Virginia is the only school like that?  I'd make the argument that NC State was a more natural fit for Kendall, and he's from North Carolina.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

And West Virginia is the only school like that?  I'd make the argument that NC State was a more natural fit for Kendall, and he's from North Carolina.

Either way, holding the guy from transferring to the school he wants because it's in conference is pretty petty, especially when the head coach bringing in someone else is the reason he is transferring. 

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Kendall’s transfer options were extremely limited with how late it is in the process. He decided to transfer right when he was told about Hurts. At that point, most schools have already started winter classes meaning Kendall wouldn’t have been able to participate in spring practice. WVU is one of the few that hasn’t started yet. 

On 1/17/2019 at 6:59 AM, winitall said:

Kendall’s transfer options were extremely limited with how late it is in the process. He decided to transfer right when he was told about Hurts. At that point, most schools have already started winter classes meaning Kendall wouldn’t have been able to participate in spring practice. WVU is one of the few that hasn’t started yet. 

That makes a lot of sense.  Glad OU saw reasoning here and allowed it, since again, it was a problem they created to begin with.  No need to punish the player. 

Archived