Jaguars hire John DeFilippo as OC

pwny

Minnesota fans really hated this guy and he definitely had a rough time, but he's worked with some bright offensive minds, so perhaps he can improve.

Unfortanutely, his criticism in Minnesota was the same as Mike McCoy's... he favors slow, developing pass routes that need good blocking up front in order to acheive. Minnesota's OL took a major step back this season, and his offense therefore struggled. If Jacksonville's OL can get and remain healthy, he may be a good hire... depending on who the QB is, of course.

Cue the Nick Foles to Jacksonville talks, though.

I’m not enamored with this hire. But with a massive question mark at QB, a frequently injured 3.7 YPC running back, no receivers, and 2-3 questions on the OL, for a win now or you’re fired coaching staff and front office, this is about as good as it was going to get.

Just now, pwny said:

I’m not enamored with this hire. But with a massive question mark at QB, a 3.7 YPC running back, no receivers, and 2-3 questions on the OL, for a win now or you’re fired coaching staff and front office, this is about as good as it was going to get.

Honestly, the OC market is dried up. Flip may have the most upside of anyone still available, except maybe Jim Bob Cooter.

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Honestly, the OC market is dried up. Flip may have the most upside of anyone still available, except maybe Jim Bob Cooter.

Dried up for sure, but they had interviews with multiple guys and missed on them all. 

I still think Bevell would have been a much better hire.

But today Marrone said that the biggest thing he was looking for was someone who wanted to actually be in Jacksonville, which makes it seem like most everyone they interviewed didn’t view this as a good situation to be in. Which was obvious.

So who calls the plays? You definitely don't want Flip doing it as he becomes so unbalanced as the game progresses. It's a peculiar fit, Jax is like MN as a team that will lean heavily on the defense. I'd think you'd want a strong running attack to compliment that.

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

So who calls the plays? You definitely don't want Flip doing it as he becomes so unbalanced as the game progresses. It's a peculiar fit, Jax is like MN as a team that will lean heavily on the defense. I'd think you'd want a strong running attack to compliment that.

It’s gonna be Flip. I don’t think Marrone has ever been a play caller. Even his three years as an OC with the Saints, Sean Payton was the play caller. 

Interesting hire. I think our major beef with Flip was that our weak line couldn't hold up long enough to execute his offense, and rather than adapt  he just kept on doing the same thing. If he'd simply adjusted his scheme and used the run game enough to take some of the pressure off Cousins, he might still have his job. But for some reason or other he didn't, and Zimmer got fed up.

No hard feelings, though, and I wish him well in Jacksonville.

3 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Interesting hire. I think our major beef with Flip was that our weak line couldn't hold up long enough to execute his offense, and rather than adapt  he just kept on doing the same thing. If he'd simply adjusted his scheme and used the run game enough to take some of the pressure off Cousins, he might still have his job. But for some reason or other he didn't, and Zimmer got fed up.

No hard feelings, though, and I wish him well in Jacksonville.

I think Flip was in over his head last year as OC. Would have assumed he'd go back to being a QB coach for a year or two.

feel like this could be a sneaky solid hire. i don't think he's as good as everyone (myself included) thought he was after the eagles' super bowl run, but i don't think he's as bad as he was in minnesota. wonder if the jags will try to pair him and foles back together.

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

feel like this could be a sneaky solid hire. i don't think he's as good as everyone (myself included) thought he was after the eagles' super bowl run, but i don't think he's as bad as he was in minnesota. wonder if the jags will try to pair him and foles back together.

Foles makes sense. I'm curious to see how Flip responds to direction. Zimmer was pretty clear in what he wanted throughout the season and that was to have a balanced offense. I believe at one point prior to Flip's firing, MN threw the ball more than anyone in the league. Outside of the Rams game, there was never a need to abandon the run as often as MN did. Hopefully for the Jags sake, Flip can work with others. I certainly wonder if Zimmer can too.

5 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

His challenges in minny were directly related to the vast open space between Kirk Cousins ears. DeFillippo was the fall guy on that one, which is perfectly understandable - but I wouldn't read too much into his minny adventure. JDF just couldn't simplify the offense enough for Kirk to be successful and his sideline "discussion" with Thielen and Diggs speak to that disconnect
He's a talented offensive coach and should be successful going forward

Archived