Jaguars hire John DeFilippo as OC

pwny

10 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I’ll take “What Evidence You Could Possibly Have to Back That Statement Up” for 100 Alex! 

Both guys were talented. They made him look good because when Wentz went down the backup Foles took them to and won a Superbowl.

Both were talented guys. Pederson is a top 5 NFL coach and put them in position to succeed. Flip looks more like a guy a long for the ride.

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I like this hire, but the Jaguars need a QB. He's a great passing game schemer. His weakness is the running game. I expect Marrone should be able to help in that area. The only question will be if Marrone tries to micromanage him like Zimmer did.

Good thing we hired a receivers coach to help (and basically baby sit) our 4th overall pick RB to not be a knuckle head

It's nice when a divisional opponent hires a guy that was fired for glaring performance deficiency a month ago to the same position. The Vikes were noticeably better without this guy, and he was known for being unable to adjust to the strengths of his personnel.

As a Texans fan, I love the hire. I hear Teryl Austin is still available if they want a first year mid-season firing at DC to pair with him.

20 minutes ago, Texans02 said:

As a Texans fan, I love the hire. I hear Teryl Austin is still available if they want a first year mid-season firing at DC to pair with him.

...Bill O'Brien is still our HC and OC, so the happiness dies very quickly.

6 hours ago, Speedyg said:

Good thing we hired a receivers coach to help (and basically baby sit) our 4th overall pick RB to not be a knuckle head

He used to be an assistant RB coach. Before I was alive. Over 30 years ago. I’m totally sure that will work out splendidly. So will hiring one of the worst OL coaches in the league.

But Doug said he only wanted to hire people he’s friends with, so nepotism was always more important than talent. 

2 hours ago, pwny said:

He used to be an assistant RB coach. Before I was alive. Over 30 years ago. I’m totally sure that will work out splendidly. So will hiring one of the worst OL coaches in the league.

But Doug said he only wanted to hire people he’s friends with, so nepotism was always more important than talent. 

JFC. I just saw the other guys you hired. What the hell are y'all doing? Walton is a good coach, but the rest of that list . . . *shudders*. There are a bunch of competent or better HB and OL Coaches around. How do you hire those guys?

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

JFC. I just saw the other guys you hired. What the hell are y'all doing? Walton is a good coach, but the rest of that list . . . *shudders*. There are a bunch of competent or better HB and OL Coaches around. How do you hire those guys?

They’ll be gone after 2019 with Marrone and Caldwell.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It’s all nepotism. When Marrone became Head Coach, he made sure his two (according to him) best friends were the two coordinators. They fired arguably the greatest WR coach in NFL history and replaced him with someone who was so bad that he had multiple multi-year hiatuses from coaching and couldn’t even make it coaching at Maryland simply because he was a friend of Coughlin. Then they filled the rest of their staff with friends of Marrone and Coughlin. 

Then this time it was more of the same. Marrone had a press conference yesterday where he admitted he was only interested in hiring his friends and friends of other high ups on the staff because *they’re the only ones you can trust*.

In the same presser, he said the #1 thing that he was looking for in the candidates was that they actually wanted to coach for the team; inadvertently admitting what everyone already knew - no one wants to coach a team with a lame duck front office and head coach, no QB, bad receivers, half an OL to install, no depth and a 3.7YPC RB in the middle of a labor dispute with the team. 

So that’s how you end up here. Be a coach about to be fired and only look to see which of your friends can’t find a better opportunity than to go down with you.

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

They’ll be gone after 2019 with Marrone and Caldwell.

Don't worry, I'll be ready to step in as GM. ;)

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

It’s all nepotism. When Marrone became Head Coach, he made sure his two (according to him) best friends were the two coordinators. They fired arguably the greatest WR coach in NFL history and replaced him with someone who was so bad that he had multiple multi-year hiatuses from coaching and couldn’t even make it coaching at Maryland simply because he was a friend of Coughlin. Then they filled the rest of their staff with friends of Marrone and Coughlin. 

Then this time it was more of the same. Marrone had a press conference yesterday where he admitted he was only interested in hiring his friends and friends of other high ups on the staff because *they’re the only ones you can trust*.

In the same presser, he said the #1 thing that he was looking for in the candidates was that they actually wanted to coach for the team; inadvertently admitting what everyone already knew - no one wants to coach a team with a lame duck front office and head coach, no QB, bad receivers, half an OL to install, no depth and a 3.7YPC RB in the middle of a labor dispute with the team. 

So that’s how you end up here. Be a coach about to be fired and only look to see which of your friends can’t find a better opportunity than to go down with you.

Well, it could be worse, I guess. He could have pulled a Jeff Fisher and promoted one of his incompetent friends to OC to replace his already incompetent friend OC.

25 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Well, it could be worse, I guess. He could have pulled a Jeff Fisher and promoted one of his incompetent friends to OC to replace his already incompetent friend OC.

I think we only dodged that bullet because he had to fire Hackett midseason and we already saw that his favorite option on the staff already was worse than what he had fired.

Sadly, even after this front office and coaching staff is purged, I see more of the same coming. This is really a problem that starts at the top. Shad Khan is a great guy, who has wonderful visions for the city and business side of the team. But he just doesn’t get the football side at all. He doesn’t get it, and he tries so hard to behave the way that other bad owners do that he had taken them in the complete opposite direction.

He doesn’t want to be the bad things Jerry Jones is, and has seen how how his own influence of just saying something he might be interested in can completely influence a front office into doing stupid crap that he doesn’t even step in when things are clearly being done poorly. He doesn’t want to be one of those owners that just cycle coaches just to do it, and wants to build an understanding that he’ll give time to make things right the way the Steelers or other storied franchises will. But in doing so, he lets guys well overstay their welcome and time for change.

As much as he’s trying to do it the *right way* he just doesn’t get it. And I don’t think that’s going to change. We’ll have another Marrone or another Gus Bradley once he decides he’s given enough time to this bad group. 

7 minutes ago, pwny said:

I think we only dodged that bullet because he had to fire Hackett midseason and we already saw that his favorite option on the staff already was worse than what he had fired.

Sadly, even after this front office and coaching staff is purged, I see more of the same coming. This is really a problem that starts at the top. Shad Khan is a great guy, who has wonderful visions for the city and business side of the team. But he just doesn’t get the football side at all. He doesn’t get it, and he tries so hard to behave the way that other bad owners do that he had taken them in the complete opposite direction.

He doesn’t want to be the bad things Jerry Jones is, and has seen how how his own influence of just saying something he might be interested in can completely influence a front office into doing stupid crap that he doesn’t even step in when things are clearly being done poorly. He doesn’t want to be one of those owners that just cycle coaches just to do it, and wants to build an understanding that he’ll give time to make things right the way the Steelers or other storied franchises will. But in doing so, he lets guys well overstay their welcome and time for change.

As much as he’s trying to do it the *right way* he just doesn’t get it. And I don’t think that’s going to change. We’ll have another Marrone or another Gus Bradley once he decides he’s given enough time to this bad group. 

You might blindly stumble your way into the next McVay. Kroenke did.

Archived