πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

He isn't a first ballot guy, no.

But he is 100% getting in the HoF. So yes, he is a sure-fire HoF LT.

I give it a 75% chance. You have to remember, despite how well he himself played, his team never really experienced any real team success in his career. The lone exception was his first year with the Eagles 2008, in which they won 2 playoff games. Not a single playoff victory since. I understand you and many others here don't really factor in team success (probably because historically this team kinda lacks a bit in that department), but I'm sure it's one of the things that the voters do look at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Guys, Jason Witten isn't a surefire HoF TE. He was a really good TE, but he had other really good TEs who played at the same time as him so it hurts his chances. He played at the same time as Gonzalez, Gates, and Gronk. Those guys were all better than him at some point in time so it really hurts his chances of ever getting in the HoF. Yeah, he has incredible numbers and his lasting success is insanely rare, but it is basically a coinflip on whether or not he gets in the HoF.

Β 

Yeah, after typing this argument out it actually somehow feels even dumber. @Matts4313 your posting game needs work buddy.

Β 

Β 

I meant I think that's a pretty valid argument against Witten tbh.Β  But he's a Cowboy so he'll for sure get in.Β Β 

20 minutes ago, Danger said:

I give it a 75% chance. You have to remember, despite how well he himself played, his team never really experienced any real team success in his career. The lone exception was his first year with the Eagles 2008, in which they won 2 playoff games. Not a single playoff victory since. I understand you and many others here don't really factor in team success (probably because historically this team kinda lacks a bit in that department), but I'm sure it's one of the things that the voters do look at.

I don’t think as much as you think. Joe Thomas never experienced any playoff success. Β A lineman is one of 5 guys working together, which that in itself is hard to manage. Β A lineman’s job is to protect the QB and open holes for the RB. Β And in each, I think Peters has been nothing but exceptional. Β He mauled guys in the run game. Β He just blew guys up on screens and would quickly get downfield for being such a huge guy. Β In the passing game, he held his spot against some great DE’s on lockdown.

Aside from false start penalties, his play in both the run and pass game has been nothing short of elite over a 10 year span. Β I don’t think there’s a question whether he gets in. Β Maybe not 1st ballot, but he’s getting in.

33 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I meant I think that's a pretty valid argument against Witten tbh.Β  But he's a Cowboy so he'll for sure get in.Β Β 

There's plenty of people who think Witten isn't a HOFer. But much like my argument with Peters VS Thomas, Witten has a lot more name recognition. The man is wildly know for all the charity work he has done, and has been a household name for 10+ years. It' jjst ddifferent.Β 

Β 

I can ask a random who Witten or Thomas are and they I'll know. The same isn' true for Peters. I' Β love to see the jersey sales of all 3. I could be wrong here, but I just feel like Peters has a tougher road. And I never said he won' ggt ii, iI just said it will be difficult and it won't be right after retirement.Β 

Β 

And for whoever made the other silly argument, I too hope we lock Dak up long term. But once again, you guys are taking insult by the fact that statistically our QBs are playing similar. I don't get that. I never insulted or said anything bad about Wentz. I just said Dak has matched him through 6 games.Β 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

The only thing I factor in is past criteria of people in the Hall of Fame. There are plenty of guysΒ  who have not won super bowls that are in the HoF. Peters played in the Playoffs, and while we weren't a powerhouse while he was here, there were plenty of times he was on very good teams in Philly.

Also, as an LT there is only so much you can do to win games. A QB's tie to winning football games is much higher than an LT's, therefore they should be forced to win at a much higher rate or win more games to get in the hall. Everyone agrees Joe Thomas should be in the hall, and yet his level of success is MUCH lower than Peters. It doesn't matter.

Go look at OTs that are in the hall already. There are plenty with worse records of individual and team achievement than Jason Peters. He will 100% be a HoFer one day.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

23 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Why did you call out me and not your own eagles poster who said it first?Β 

I called out the post I saw, that is all.

For the record I 100% think Witten should be in the hall. He has the numbers and accolades that belong there, just like Peters. My main point was that your argument that there were other very good LTs in the NFL at the same time(Joe Thomas) is completely pointless. Manning, Rodgers, Brees, and Brady all played in the league at the same time, and all four of them are HoF QBs.

As far as name recognition goes, Jason Peters has as big of a name in the NFL for LTs as anyone not named Thomas, so that argument is also ridiculous. Who elseΒ has a bigger name at LT playing right now or in the past 5 years than Jason Peters?

Basically, there is no way Jason Peters won't get into the HoF. Will it take 4-5 years, or maybe even a little longer? Maybe, but he will 100% get in.

57 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I called out the post I saw, that is all.

For the record I 100% think Witten should be in the hall. He has the numbers and accolades that belong there, just like Peters. My main point was that your argument that there were other very good LTs in the NFL at the same time(Joe Thomas) is completely pointless. Manning, Rodgers, Brees, and Brady all played in the league at the same time, and all four of them are HoF QBs.

As far as name recognition goes, Jason Peters has as big of a name in the NFL for LTs as anyone not named Thomas, so that argument is also ridiculous. Who elseΒ has a bigger name at LT playing right now or in the past 5 years than Jason Peters?

Basically, there is no way Jason Peters won't get into the HoF. Will it take 4-5 years, or maybe even a little longer? Maybe, but he will 100% get in.

Trent Williams and Tyron Smith.

Peters peak was right when he was trade to Philly and a few years after that.Β  Writers like Peter King were pimping him quite a bit at that time.Β  So around that time he was probably considered the consensus top LT in football.Β Β 

The past 5 years as Peters has aged he's still played at a high level but he's probably been more of a top 10 guy than the best in football.Β Β 

9xpro bowler

3x First team All Pro

3x 2nd team All pro

He's going to the hall (haul?).Β Β 

Now the Witten discussion is more interesting to me.Β  I think you can make a valid argument that Witten was never the best TE in the NFL at any point in his career.Β  He has however played at a high level for a very long time, and was probably in the top 3 TE discussion for a significant portion of his career.Β  He also can state that on top of all of his receiving stats he was a good blocker, which a lot of the big time stat TEs can't claim.Β Β 

10 x pro bowlerΒ 

2 x first team all pro

2 x 2nd tam all pro

He's probably hall bound too.Β Β 

One thing that could hurt both Witten and Peters is a lack of impact plays in the playoffs, and neither has a ring.Β Β 

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Now the Witten discussion is more interesting to me.Β  I think you can make a valid argument that Witten was never the best TE in the NFL at any point in his career.Β  He has however played at a high level for a very long time, and was probably in the top 3 TE discussion for a significant portion of his career.Β  He also can state that on top of all of his receiving stats he was a good blocker, which a lot of the big time stat TEs can't claim.Β Β 

10 x pro bowlerΒ 

2 x first team all pro

2 x 2nd tam all pro

He's probably hall bound too.Β Β 

One thing that could hurt both Witten and Peters is a lack of impact plays in the playoffs, and neither has a ring.Β Β 

Just because peters will be out the rest of the year he'll still get a ring from when the birds win it all this year.Β