🦅🤠 NFC East 🤷‍♂️🆘 | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

17 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I have second-hand embarrassment that you have enough faith in Hurts to not already be penciling in a QB with one of those first round picks.

Where are you getting that from? I said i really hope that he shows enough? Not sure how you got that I have a ton of faith from that. 

Now I’m getting second hand embarrassment from your poor reading comprehension skills. 😉

On 6/11/2021 at 4:39 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

A) How do you know the new coach will be any better?  The grass isn’t always greener.  Regardless of what you think of him now, the guy did win your city its first Super Bowl. 

Pederson was awful last year. Arguably the most predictable offense. No creativity like the awful screen game implementation and ran them to the wrong players... like Greg Ward. Why? Other teams defensive players had said in the past they knew what was coming before it was run. This hasn't just been a problem for Pederson. Kelly was even more stubborn and unwilling to change it up.

Nobody is taking the SB away from him, but that was magic in a bottle and he had Reich and DeFilippo on that staff helping him. Don't doubt their impact on Wentz and that offense.

As far as Sirianni what gives us faith in him and Gannon (defensive coordinator) right now is how much they have harped on adaptability and catering to players strengths. This is a match-up driven league that is constantly changing and the best coaches know that and are flexible with what they run and how they run it. 

Now, saying the right things in press conferences is great, but obviously we haven't seen them coach a single regular season game. But, if they walk it like they talk it I think we could have the best coaching staff in the NFC East in due time.

On 6/11/2021 at 4:39 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

B ) What makes you think the team around him will be meaningfully better this season?

1.) They added the most polished receiver in the draft in DeVonta Smith. Don't really need to explain this one.

2.) Reagor went through a disaster of a season and he is definitely responsible for part of it, but he got no rookie minicamp, OTAs, and had a shortened training camp that was shortened further by a shoulder injury that caused him to miss most of it. Then, after he got back on the field earlier than projected for week 1 against you guys. He got hurt by a fluky finger injury which caused him to miss 5 weeks of the season. He wasn't in the best mental space cause of Eagles fans attacking him on social media either. He gained some weight in training and when he came back he looked noticeably less explosive and it started to look like he regained it somewhat as the season went on, but it was never back to his college level. This offseason he's at a lower weight (closer to what he was his best year at TCU) and has an actual offseason to get coached up which he needed cause he wasn't technically refined like a Jeudy or Jefferson coming out. He didn't face much press in college and notably struggled with it as a rookie. Being less explosive definitely didn't help him there though. His effort wasn't always the best though and that's on him. Not to mention he was forced into the X receiver position a lot which he isn't and the coaching staff was awful at utilizing him and getting him touches in space. This coaching staff I guarantee will do a better job with that.

3.)

Like if the line is healthy its a top 10 unit at worst. Mailata was supposed to be like the 3rd option behind Dillard and Peters. He actually played pretty well in his first real starting action (only played in some preseason games otherwise) and the upside there is tremendous. Dillard has returned from injury in a better mental space and supposedly is bigger/stronger... we'll see. Brandon Brooks was the best guard or one of the top 2/3 after returning from his first achilles injury. We'll see how he returns this year, but he was moving around great in OTAs... same for Lane Johnson after his ankle last year. Kelce might not be the same All-Pro anymore, but he's still a real good center. We have better depth on the line this year as well. Driscoll showed good things as a rookie. Herbig who had to fill in for Brooks last year played well and has shed like 30 lbs and looks in much better physical condition. We added Landon Dickerson who is a stud guard that would've went 1st round if not for the injuries. He won't be starting week 1, but he'll be able to play this year and provide a great back-up option if any of the 3 interior starters go down.

4.) 

Hopefully less Ertz and more Goedert. Zach completely sold last season and had a drop rate 2X worse than Goedert. You could see Zach's effort was lacking and he didn't wanna be here cause he wanted his new contract that we weren't giving him. Goedert on the other hand has the potential to be a solidified top 5 TE in this league, but we haven't seen enough of him as he's been behind Ertz since he was drafted. He also missed basically a third of last season with injury, so if we get Ertz moved before the season and he stays healthy he can do big things.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Fields hasnt even had a single NFL snap. But even if he is wrong, his track record overall is pretty solid.

His rankings positionally overall were slapped together for reactions and he works with Florio. 👎🏻

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

5 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

His rankings positionally overall were slapped together for reactions and he works with Florio. 👎🏻

I kinda lost the plot over what this was about. But…

Florio is awful, and luckily seems easier to just ignore.

But I’d kinda vouch for Simms…at least on QBs. He does that all on his own podcast with no Florio around, even before on Bleacher Report he had a solid track record. You can tell he actually scouts the prospects in his breakdowns.

Not 100% but he’s been pretty good at doing his own thing with rankings and seemingly being right the last couple years.

He does have some Elway-esque bias towards big arms though.

I think he’s getting a bigger and bigger head with it…but that’s kinda the business I suppose.

But again, Florio is awful. What ESP is to Philly, Florio is to the whole football community. He’s embarrassingly bad and it pains me how much he got bought out for.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Where are you getting that from? I said i really hope that he shows enough? Not sure how you got that I have a ton of faith from that. 

Now I’m getting second hand embarrassment from your poor reading comprehension skills. 😉

I thought it was clear that I was alluding to the fact that you have even a slight hope of that at this point, which shows that you do have more faith than you should. 

7 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Pederson was awful last year. Arguably the most predictable offense. No creativity like the awful screen game implementation and ran them to the wrong players... like Greg Ward. Why? Other teams defensive players had said in the past they knew what was coming before it was run. This hasn't just been a problem for Pederson. Kelly was even more stubborn and unwilling to change it up.

Nobody is taking the SB away from him, but that was magic in a bottle and he had Reich and DeFilippo on that staff helping him. Don't doubt their impact on Wentz and that offense.

As far as Sirianni what gives us faith in him and Gannon (defensive coordinator) right now is how much they have harped on adaptability and catering to players strengths. This is a match-up driven league that is constantly changing and the best coaches know that and are flexible with what they run and how they run it. 

Now, saying the right things in press conferences is great, but obviously we haven't seen them coach a single regular season game. But, if they walk it like they talk it I think we could have the best coaching staff in the NFC East in due time.

1.) They added the most polished receiver in the draft in DeVonta Smith. Don't really need to explain this one.

2.) Reagor went through a disaster of a season and he is definitely responsible for part of it, but he got no rookie minicamp, OTAs, and had a shortened training camp that was shortened further by a shoulder injury that caused him to miss most of it. Then, after he got back on the field earlier than projected for week 1 against you guys. He got hurt by a fluky finger injury which caused him to miss 5 weeks of the season. He wasn't in the best mental space cause of Eagles fans attacking him on social media either. He gained some weight in training and when he came back he looked noticeably less explosive and it started to look like he regained it somewhat as the season went on, but it was never back to his college level. This offseason he's at a lower weight (closer to what he was his best year at TCU) and has an actual offseason to get coached up which he needed cause he wasn't technically refined like a Jeudy or Jefferson coming out. He didn't face much press in college and notably struggled with it as a rookie. Being less explosive definitely didn't help him there though. His effort wasn't always the best though and that's on him. Not to mention he was forced into the X receiver position a lot which he isn't and the coaching staff was awful at utilizing him and getting him touches in space. This coaching staff I guarantee will do a better job with that.

3.)

Like if the line is healthy its a top 10 unit at worst. Mailata was supposed to be like the 3rd option behind Dillard and Peters. He actually played pretty well in his first real starting action (only played in some preseason games otherwise) and the upside there is tremendous. Dillard has returned from injury in a better mental space and supposedly is bigger/stronger... we'll see. Brandon Brooks was the best guard or one of the top 2/3 after returning from his first achilles injury. We'll see how he returns this year, but he was moving around great in OTAs... same for Lane Johnson after his ankle last year. Kelce might not be the same All-Pro anymore, but he's still a real good center. We have better depth on the line this year as well. Driscoll showed good things as a rookie. Herbig who had to fill in for Brooks last year played well and has shed like 30 lbs and looks in much better physical condition. We added Landon Dickerson who is a stud guard that would've went 1st round if not for the injuries. He won't be starting week 1, but he'll be able to play this year and provide a great back-up option if any of the 3 interior starters go down.

4.) 

Hopefully less Ertz and more Goedert. Zach completely sold last season and had a drop rate 2X worse than Goedert. You could see Zach's effort was lacking and he didn't wanna be here cause he wanted his new contract that we weren't giving him. Goedert on the other hand has the potential to be a solidified top 5 TE in this league, but we haven't seen enough of him as he's been behind Ertz since he was drafted. He also missed basically a third of last season with injury, so if we get Ertz moved before the season and he stays healthy he can do big things.

Yes, you have reasons for optimism, the same as 30 other fanbases (sorry Texans fans), but the reason I included the word “meaningfully” in my sentence was because I just don’t buy the fact that Pederson was the biggest problem last year (Wentz and Howie have that honor IMO), that Smith is going to hit the ground running with Hurts as his QB, that Reagor is going to stop being the most disappointing 1st round WR from the 2020 draft, that your OL is going to be top 10 with Brooks coming back from another significant injury at his age, with Kelce nearing retirement, with Dillard still being a huge question mark, as well as the whole Ertz situation (though I acknowledge Goedert can definitely be a top 5 TE and is better than Ertz at this point). So you will probably see an upgrade, but I seriously doubt it’s meaningful enough to have a significant impact on Hurts’ play, even if everyone stays healthy, which is extremely unlikely.

And don’t even get me started on your linebackers and secondary. 

To sum it up, this is probably the least impressive Philly roster I can remember seeing in a long time, with your best players ~30+, and question marks all over the place with a majority of your young players.  I truly think Cox is the only player on your defense that I’d want as a starter for my team, but even then, probably not at his contact.  And Lane, Goedert, and Smith are probably the only players I’d want on my offense to replace current starters (if we assume Brooks or Scherff couldn’t move to LG).

I also really doubt you’ll have the best HC in the division any time soon, but I suppose it could happen. 

46 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:
9 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I thought it was clear that I was alluding to the fact that you have even a slight hope of that at this point, which shows that you do have more faith than you should. 

I mean I tried telling y'all during your week 2 GDT against the Cardinals that Haskins wasn't it.

On 9/20/2020 at 10:59 AM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Haskins isn't the answer. I firmly believe that.

So, I'll let you cook about Hurts for now.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I also really doubt you’ll have the best HC in the division any time soon, but I suppose it could happen. 

I mean what's the bar? 

Right now to me the best HC in the division is Ron Rivera and he's good, but I don't think he's unsurpassable like a Belichick, Reid, etc.

Joe Judge turned around the narrative on him which was really bad before the season even started, but still has a ways to go before proving he's the best. Giants fans are ecstatic about him though.

Mike McCarthy? LOL...

Also, I didn't say anything about him being the best "any time soon", but I digress. He has a lot of work to do with what he was handed with. I do like that he has some good vets in place to carry the message from the coaches to the young guys though. 

EDIT: Just googled and found this article about HC rankings and it is as follows:

17.) Ron Rivera

20.) Mike McCarthy 

23.) Joe Judge

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/article/goal-line-stand/nfls-best-coaches-2021

To sum it up, this is probably the least impressive Philly roster I can remember seeing in a long time, with your best players ~30+, and question marks all over the place with a majority of your young players.  I truly think Cox is the only player on your defense that I’d want as a starter for my team, but even then, probably not at his contact.  And Lane, Goedert, and Smith are probably the only players I’d want on my offense to replace current starters (if we assume Brooks or Scherff couldn’t move to LG).

But, you are right about this. There are a lot of question marks with this roster. First things first they need to prove they can stay healthy which we haven't been able to do for years now.

Don't really care who you would take from our roster versus yours though. Too much bias from both of us. I'm well aware your roster is better right now. I'll leave it at that.

I just don’t buy the fact that Pederson was the biggest problem last year (Wentz and Howie have that honor IMO)

All 3 are responsible. I never pinned the blame solely on any of them. Wentz is charmin soft and I lost respect for him though. Roseman wasn't able to bolster the roster in FA cause of his own doing with some bad contracts and kicking the can down the road in hopes of keeping open a window after the SB that never saw the light of day, but I did like what he did in the draft this year. Pederson was kind of a scapegoat of sorts, but I also believe he didn't want to be here either cause of Lurie/Roseman being too controlling. He basically wanted to be let go at the end of the year cause he didn't want to be micromanaged, but he didn't make a good case for himself with how he promoted the wrong guys internally and was too buddy-buddy with his coaches and wasn't critical enough of them when their units weren't performing. The Wentz decline was also under his watch though. Don't see how he gets a pass for that either. He was a players coach and guys in the building loved him, but he wasn't blameless whatsoever.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

7 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I mean what's the bar? 

Right now to me the best HC in the division is Ron Rivera and he's good, but I don't think he's unsurpassable like a Belichick, Reid, etc.

Joe Judge turned around the narrative on him which was really bad before the season even started, but still has a ways to go before proving he's the best. Giants fans are ecstatic about him though.

Mike McCarthy? LOL...

Also, I didn't say anything about him being the best "any time soon", but I digress. He has a lot of work to do with what he was handed with. I do like that he has some good vets in place to carry the message from the coaches to the young guys though. 

EDIT: Just googled and found this article about HC rankings and it is as follows:

17.) Ron Rivera

20.) Mike McCarthy 

23.) Joe Judge

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/article/goal-line-stand/nfls-best-coaches-2021

I mean, you're referencing a website that had Doug Pederson ranked 5th last year, 4th in 2019, and 5th in 2018: 

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/article/goal-line-stand/nfls-best-coaches-2020

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/article/goal-line-stand/nfls-best-coaches-2019

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/article/goal-line-stand/nfls-best-coaches-2018

You can't have it both ways.  He didn't all of a sudden go from a top 5 coach three years running, to a net detriment to the team in one season.  That's ridiculous.  So either Pederson was just a scapegoat when the higher-ups needed someone to blame, or the site you linked to is trash.  It has to be one or the other.  I personally don't think removing him was the right move for you guys at all long-term; Howie is the one who should have been sent packing (drafting Reagor over Jefferson should've sealed the deal), and maybe you'd finally start having some top tier drafts again.

Rivera is criminally underrated, with guys like Kyle Shanahan consistently ranked in everyone's top 10 with a much weaker overall resume as a HC.

• Like 1

NFCE QBs in 2020.  Hurts didn't have enough attempts to qualify for this list (148 vs. 180), but let's just say he would have been off the chart with his 26.7% Bad Throw %.  Though I think he did likely have a high aDOT, so pretty much on par with Wentz and Lock (and Brady to a lesser extent, lol).

Also, the massive upgrade for the WFT is obvious.

badthrow2.thumb.png.3b434c9b941fbf06b357

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I mean, you're referencing a website that had Doug Pederson ranked 5th last year, 4th in 2019, and 5th in 2018: 

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/article/goal-line-stand/nfls-best-coaches-2020

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/article/goal-line-stand/nfls-best-coaches-2019

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/article/goal-line-stand/nfls-best-coaches-2018

You can't have it both ways.  He didn't all of a sudden go from a top 5 coach three years running, to a net detriment to the team in one season.  That's ridiculous.  So either Pederson was just a scapegoat when the higher-ups needed someone to blame, or the site you linked to is trash.  It has to be one or the other.  I personally don't think removing him was the right move for you guys at all long-term; Howie is the one who should have been sent packing (drafting Reagor over Jefferson should've sealed the deal), and maybe you'd finally start having some top tier drafts again.

Rivera is criminally underrated, with guys like Kyle Shanahan consistently ranked in everyone's top 10 with a much weaker overall resume as a HC.

I think Pederson is a really good football coach. I think he knows how to motivate players and get them to play hard. That said, he is horrendous at choosing his coordinators and position coaches. This leads to a team that plays really scrappy and can squeak out wins and clutch up, but a team that never will become a dominant force for a long period of time. It also means he is just not good at developing talent cause his positional coaches are bad. 

His play calling is average overall. He innovated a lot his first few years here, but the last two he fell into the same style of playcalling that was figured out. It absolutely hurt Wentz(no excuses for him, but it is a fact it did).

Pederson had to go though. He wanted to promote bad coaches and not bring in new ideas. Why that is I don't know, but moving forward with him in Philly was not an option. I have faith he will coach somewhere else next year and be a solid HC for a while. He needs to let people help him pick his coaching staff first(like Howie basically did in 2016), but if he is put in a good situation he will succeed.