πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

Let me put it this way. Many people thought the Eagles were a 6-10 or 7-9 type team.

One key off-season with several FA and Draft pick additions and they are one Win away from a SB with Nick Friggen Foles at QB.

If you all want to pretend that Washington is so void of talent ,go ahead. I'm not! We'll revisit this next year.Β 

Losing Cousins in essence for Alex Smith is NOT a downgrade when said Potential replacement was a Rookie. Just saying.

Edited by Nabbs4u

4 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Let me put it this way. Many people thought the Eagles were a 6-10 or 7-9 type team.

One key off-season with several FA and Draft pick additions and they are one Win away from a SB with Nick Friggen Foles at QB.

If you all want to pretend that Washington is so void of talent ,go ahead. I'm not! We'll revisit this next year.Β 

Losing Cousins in essence for Alex Smith is NOT a downgrade when said Potential replacement was a Rookie. Just saying.

Just cause the replacement could have been worse doesn't mean it isn't a downgrade.

I don't expect Smith to play like he did last year again, it was by far his best season of football and is likely an anomaly. The Skins also don't have nearly as much talent on offense as the Chiefs, so his job is even harder.Β 

The Skins do have talent, they have a solid OL and DL and they are ok all around on defense. I could see them making the playoffs next season, but the likelihood they do as well as we did this past offseason is really low, and they don't have a young superstar playing QB.

The Skins certainly aren't going to be awful, but it is more likely that they are mediocre again, like they have been for a while now.

2 hours ago, RollEagles said:

Independent of the Cousins situation, trading a 3rd round pick and your best CB for a 34 year old Alex Smith and extending him for 4 years is objectively egregious.Β 

When you're best CB primarily plays the Slot because he's a liability outside, there are more issues then trading him. He's not as good as some of you are making him out to be. When healthy, Josh Norman is their best CB.

@Nabbs4uΒ ...this Redskins team is completely different than our 2016 Eagles. In so many ways.

People seem to forget this, but our defense was actually TOP 5 last year. We finished the season ranked in DVOA exactly the same last year and this year (5th).Β  This defense is certainly better, thanks to a totally revamped CB group and additions up front. But it was pretty obvious that our defense was just a year or so away from being ELITE. Prior to the season, I literally went on all about how I thought that we'd have a top 3 defense this season. Washington's defense is nowhere near as good as ours was last year. They have some good OLBers in pass rush , but outside of that I think they have a lot of work to do on that unit. Norman is on the wrong side of 30 and I don't see him playing at a high level much longer.Β 

And we also had (and still do) a GM in Howie who had already shown he , at the time, was at least a good one. We had a stable FO in place going into this season. Washington's FO is about as big a mess you'll find outside of Ohio.Β 

I just don't see how getting Smith makes them any better. If anything, In relieved. Up until this season, Cousins had basically owned us most Every time we faced him. And I know we've lost to the Chiefs twice in two years (IIRC we lost last year too or was that 2015?) But it wasn't Smith who beat us.Β 

And also, let's not forget the coaching. We literally have the most ideal QB coaching group in Pederson, Reich, and DeFilipo. The former two were both NFL QBs not long ago and the latter is widely becoming known as one of the biggest QB aficionados in the league. Washington meanwhile has...Jay Gruden?Β 

It was actually pretty easy to see how the Eagles in 2016 were a team that was very close to putting it all together. And our GM literally hit on every single non draft acquisition as well. Look at every move Howie made. It takes an incredibly rare combination of knowledge and luck to hit on as many moves as our FO did this past off-season. It's almost unprecedented really. Signing Alshon, Foles, Chris Long, Patrick Robinson, Wisniewski, and then trading for Darby, Ajayi, and Jernigan. That's EIGHT key players he brought in to this team and every single one has been a success. Some larger than others but successes nonetheless.Β 

Now that I think about it. And Lmk if I'm being hyperbolic Here but can a case be made that Howie has had possibly one of the greatest two year spans as a GM/Executive ever? I listed his signings this year and trades, but 2015-2016 off-season was pretty incredible. Trading Bradford for a 1st. Getting Wentz. Signing Brandon Brooks (who is one of the best guards in the league and yet still underpaid IMO) , Rodney McLeod, Bradham.....And then there's the fact that he's been able to extend so much of our key players to team friendly deals and he got them to do it BEFORE THEY EVEN HIT OPEN MARKET! Which is incredible tbh. Imagine if Ertz, Lane, Cox, etc all became FAs. IF we did keep them, we'd absolutely had to have paid them all much more money. Then he did the same thing with Jeffrey and Jernigan this season...

Ok gotta stop. I have to be able to stand up at some point today and at this rate ill be rock hard for hours..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BAConrad said:

It was actually pretty easy to see how the Eagles in 2016 were a team that was very close to putting it all together. And our GM literally hit on every single non draft acquisition as well. Look at every move Howie made. It takes an incredibly rare combination of knowledge and luck to hit on as many moves as our FO did this past off-season. It's almost unprecedented really. Signing Alshon, Foles, Chris Long, Patrick Robinson, Wisniewski, and then trading for Darby, Ajayi, and Jernigan. That's EIGHT key players he brought in to this team and every single one has been a success. Some larger than others but successes nonetheless.Β 

This pretty much sums up my point though. Where would this team be (sure as hell not in the SB) without those additions? You said we weren't far off but you just listed a minimum of 6 Starters for this SB. P-Rob being 7th as the Nickle.

Yes the likelihood of the Skins dysfunctional FO who are replicating such a off season are miniscule at best but "possible". So having a competent QB which Alex Smith is always helps a team, period. I would of much rather seen Colt McCoy struggling, A Rookie Deer in Headlights struggling then a QB slide in there with damn near identical numbers to Cousins.

I'm not suggesting their some Juggernaut in the making but they won't be a Guaranteed 2 Wins for the Eagles come next season. That's all. Alex Smith is better then any QB the Redskins could of brought in as a replacement.

Β 

On 2/1/2018 at 5:39 PM, Phire said:

I can't believe how poorly Washington has handled the Kirk situation. He's literally the best thing about that team.Β 

You can't believe?!

YOU CANT BELIEVE?!

This is the Skins we're talking about...they are relevant 1 season every decade, if that.

Edited by jonu62882
  • Like 1