πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

4 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I think Eagles and Giants will both regret passing on Fields for a WR, but both wr's will do good.

Just for the record... I agree with this.

If we didn't draft Hurts last year, then I'm sure Fields would definitely be donning midnight green right now.

But, you had to know it wasn't likely that Howie was gonna give up on his 2nd round pick from last year so soon, despite us being a supposed QB factory. At least he did Hurts a favor by bringing in a coach that will adapt his offense more and trading back up (after the trade down) for a weapon that is polished and he has familiarity with.

He gives himself more of a chance to prove his pick last year wasn't a mistake and if Hurts doesn't succeed he gave himself ammo to draft a QB to preserve his job for even longer..... that sly weasel!

Β 

3 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Just for the record... I agree with this.

If we didn't draft Hurts last year, then I'm sure Fields would definitely be donning midnight green right now.

But, you had to know it wasn't likely that Howie was gonna give up on his 2nd round pick from last year so soon, despite us being a supposed QB factory. At least he did Hurts a favor by bringing in a coach that will adapt his offense more and trading back up (after the trade down) for a weapon that is polished and he has familiarity with.

He gives himself more of a chance to prove his pick last year wasn't a mistake and if Hurts doesn't succeed he gave himself ammo to draft a QB to preserve his job for even longer..... that sly weasel!

Β 

Yea, I knew we weren't going to take Fields, but he just offers so much more arm talent than Hurts. Hurts is better as a runner (Fields is faster), but the talent gap between the two as passers is so wide in favor of Fields. He has a cannon. Hurts has a .22 snub nose. And Fields is taller, prefers to throw more in general, can make off platform throws, and has a last name that doesn't suggest eventual pain and suffering.

Edited by Jeezla

https://www.phillyvoice.com/10-reasons-eagles-will-be-dumpster-fire-season-2021-058882/?s=09

1) They wrecked their Super Bowl roster in record time

After the Eagles' Super Bowl season in 2017, the team appeared to be as well-positioned as any in the NFL to compete for a another championship every year for the foreseeable future. All they really had to do was hit on a reasonable number of draft picks, make judicious decisions on which core players to retain long-term, and not completely blow it in free agency. Over the last three offseasons, however, they failed on all three accounts.

The worst of it was the draft.Β Since Howie Roseman reassumed the GM title (or initially Executive Vice President or whatever) in 2016, not including the 2021 draft, the Eagles have made 36 selections. Only 1, Carson Wentz in 2017, has made a Pro Bowl. He's no longer on the team, as we're all well aware.

But beyond the lack of talent generated from those drafts, there were some spectacular misses along the way:

Β 

1. The whiffs on Sidney Jones and Rasul Douglas in 2017 necessitated the team to burn two more draft picks and a big chunk of cap space to acquire Darius Slay during the 2020 offseason. The Jones selection in particular was immediately met with skepticism, given that he had torn his Achilles and was highly unlikely to be a factor at all his rookie season.
  2. They selected J.J. Arcega-Whiteside instead of several other far better options, most notably DK Metcalf, who is already a star player.
  3. They selected Jalen Reagor instead of Justin Jefferson, again, who is already a star player. To note, it's not as if there's "benefit of hindsight" at play here. The overwhelming consensus among fans, draft experts, and NFL teams was that Metcalf and Jefferson were better prospects than Arcega-Whiteside and Reagor, respectively.
  4. They traded up for Andre Dillard, an athletic talent who unexpectedly fell in the draft because of mentality concerns that other teams appropriately diagnosed, but the Eagles did not.
  5. And, of course, they used a second-round pick on a quarterback, which didn't make any sense on a whole lot of levels, and probably contributed to the downfall of Wentz's play this past season, which was an outcome that many predicted.

Β 

Β 

There's no way to sugarcoat the above. The Eagles have been one of the worst drafting teams in the NFL over the last five years.

On the contract restructure/renegotiation front, the Eagles have had miss after miss after miss, from Carson Wentz to Alshon Jeffery to Brandon Brooks to Lane Johnson to Nelson Agholor (exercising his fifth-year option) to Jake Elliott to Nigel Bradham,Β and the list goes on. Because of the need to rid their books of such a gross accumulation of bad contracts, the Eagles have over $49 million in dead money on their cap in 2021. Yes, that leads the NFL.Β That'll rise to over $53 million whenever they cut or trade Zach Ertz.

Put more simply, once Ertz is gone, 29.2 percent of the Eagles' available 2021 cap spend will count toward players no longer on the roster. In pie chart form:

Β 
062421EaglesSalaryCap2

And then there's free agency. In 2017, the team signed a bunch of older guys, who helped them win the Super Bowl.Β That strategy was a one-hit wonder. In 2018, 2019, 2020 and even 2021, the Eagles have continued to sign a bunch of old dudes in free agency.

Notable 2018 acquisitions:

Β 

1. WR Golden Tate (acquired for 8 games for a third-round pick)
  2. WR Mike Wallace
  3. LB Corey Nelson
  4. LB Paul Worrilow
  5. DE Michael Bennett
  6. DT Haloti Ngata
  7. CB Daryl Worley

Β 

Notable 2019 acquisitions:Β 

Β 

1. RB Jordan Howard (trade)
  2. WR DeSean Jackson (trade)
  3. TE Richard Rodgers
  4. DE Genard Avery (acquired for a fourth-round pick in 2019, and a healthy Avery played 11% of the team's defensive snaps in 2020)
  5. DE Vinny Curry
  6. DT Malik Jackson
  7. LB L.J. Fort
  8. S Andrew Sendejo

Β 

Notable 2020 acquisitions:

Β 

1. WR Marquise Goodwin (trade)
  2. LB Jatavis Brown
  3. DT Javon Hargrave
  4. CB Darius Slay (the team traded third- and fifth-round picks for Slay, and then re-did his deal)
  5. CB Nickell Robey-Coleman

Notable 2021 acquisitions:

Β 

1. Joe Flacco
  2. Eric Wilson
  3. Anthony Harris
  4. Ryan Kerrigan

Just before the start of the 2019 season,Β we analyzed the Eagles' rapidly aging roster, and warned that the team was running the risk of needing to undergo a major rebuild in a few years if they didn't change their strategic pattern of signing and trading for older players for short-term gains, while continually making a low number of draft picks. If a dope like me could see it, how could the team miss it?

As it turned out, again, very predictably, the roster got old, expensive, bad, and boring, leading to one of the worst seasons in franchise history in 2020.

Anyway, I guess I just went a really long way here to say that the people responsible for the downfall of the team over the last three years are still in charge.

Β 

4 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

WOW what a dumpster fire.

Again, I think I will be doing victory laps about being right about Howie being the worst until the day I die or he wins another Super Bowl.

Howie isn't the worst, he's just the worst at evaluating talent. And giving extensions to guys who are clearly on the downsides of their careers. And hiring medical staffs. Other than that, he's a good GM.

Edited by Jeezla

These writers seem to be operating under the assumption Dillard is the LT. They are probably right, but I personally hope Mailata pulls it out. 7 sacks given up isn't good, but it's great considering what he was doing 3 years ago. If he can cut that down to 4 or 5, he's league average for a starting LT, and only going to get better. He's also 6'8", so you can't really put him at LG like you could with Dillard.Β 

Mailata-Dillard-Dickerson-Rookie RG-Lane or Mailata-Dillard-Rookie C-Dickerson-Lane
Would be the ideal 2022 starting OL, assuming we move on from Brooks and Isaac after this season for cap savings, and Kelce rides off into the sunset.

As far as this year, we could have the best OL, if everyone stays healthy. Or we could have the worst if last year repeats itself with the revolving injured OL. I kinda have my doubts Lane will ever be the same guy who was shutting down Khalil Mack and Von Miller after all the injuries, but he can still be a top 5 RT. Brooks is a freak of nature and a stud, so if he's healthy he's a top 3-5 OG in the NFL again. Kelce is Kelce. Our C, RG, RT combo is arguably the best in the NFL when healthy. And the LG/LT combo is average. Seumalo is the weakest link, and Dickerson or Dillard ideally supplants him at some point this year. Put a better LG next to Mailata, he'll likely raise that 70 PFF grade to a 75+.Β 

Β 

Edited by Jeezla

5 hours ago, ACO said:

I can agree with WFT. I personally think they will be the division winners if Fitz can just be average. The Dallas OL starters are very good when healthy, but they rarely are.

You can say that about most teams greatest weakness in the NFC East. If the Cowboys defense can just be average they are winning the division. If the Giants offensive line can be average they are winning the division.Β 

11 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

You can say that about most teams greatest weakness in the NFC East. If the Cowboys defense can just be average they are winning the division. If the Giants offensive line can be average they are winning the division.Β 

Can an average Giants offensive line play QB? If not, hard pass on that takeΒ 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Man some of these rankings this off season have totally boggled my mind. They're almost in reverse order with some of them.

How would you rank the position groups within the NFCE?

Here's mine:

Offense

QB: DAL (4), WAS (3), NYG (2), PHI (1)

OL: DAL (4), PHI (3), WAS (2),Β NYG (1)

RB: NYG (4), DAL (3), WAS (2), PHI (1)

WR: DAL (4), NYG (3), WAS (2), PHI (1)

TE: PHI (4), NYG (3), WAS (2), DAL (1)

Defense

DL: WAS (4), PHI (3), NYG (2), DALΒ (1)

LB: DAL (4), WAS (3), NYG (2), PHI (1)

CB: WAS(4), NYG (3), PHI (2), DAL (1)

S: PHI (4), NYG (3), WAS (2), DAL (1)

Β 

Total Points:

WAS:Β 11Β Offense / 13Β Defense = 24Β Total

DAL: 16 Offense / 7Β Defense = 23 Total

NYG:Β 13Β Offense / 10Β Defense = 23Β Total

PHI: 10Β Offense / 10Β Defense = 20Β Total

Β 

Seems to check out, with Dallas having the best offense by a decent amount and Washington having the same on defense.

ObviouslyΒ certain position groups deserve higher weights than others, but it's almost pointless to do so b/c we'll never agree on scale.

Β 

Edited by HTTRDynasty

40 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

How would you rank the position groups within the NFCE?

Here's mine:

Offense

QB: DAL (4), WAS (3), NYG (2), PHI (1)

OL: DAL (4), PHI (3), WAS (2),Β NYG (1)

RB: NYG (4), DAL (3), WAS (2), PHI (1)

WR: DAL (4), NYG (3), WAS (2), PHI (1)

TE: PHI (4), NYG (3), WAS (2), DAL (1)

Defense

DL: WAS (4), PHI (3), NYG (2), DALΒ (1)

LB: DAL (4), WAS (3), NYG (2), PHI (1)

CB: WAS(4), NYG (3), PHI (2), DAL (1)

S: PHI (4), NYG (3), WAS (2), DAL (1)

Β 

Total Points:

WAS:Β 11Β Offense / 13Β Defense = 24Β Total

DAL: 16 Offense / 7Β Defense = 23 Total

NYG:Β 13Β Offense / 10Β Defense = 23Β Total

PHI: 10Β Offense / 10Β Defense = 20Β Total

Β 

Seems to check out, with Dallas having the best offense by a decent amount and Washington having the same on defense.

ObviouslyΒ certain position groups deserve higher weights than others, but it's almost pointless to do so b/c we'll never agree on scale.

Β 

I'm a big fan of this exercise, fun off-season time killer. Once I have more time I'll post mine.

• Like 1