πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

4 hours ago, Phire said:

Preseason needs to be 2 games.

Β No it doesn't. These starters haven't even combined really for a 1/2 of Football worth of snaps. It's not like the first 2 GM's they play a lot. That will be next week.

Going to only 2 GM's accomplishes what really? Most Starters only play one series in gm 1 or skip it altogether. Don't dress for gm 4 at all. They basically only play a Games worth of Snaps out of 4 gms as is!! Without the extra GM's it will be hard for Organizations to evaluate talent trying to make the 53 outside of TC practices which only show so much.

You're either Unlucky or Lucky. Plain and simple. It's why they don't wear skirts or flags.

Edited by Nabbs4u

4 hours ago, Phire said:

How often is the guy in games not the guy in practice? I just don't think the evaluation that occurs in preseason games to be that valuable or indispensable. The most important evaluations occur in practices.Β 

Having coached youth football for 8 years, I can assure you that is not true. Being a "gamer" is a real thing. Some people just excel when the lights are brightest.

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Having coached youth football for 8 years, I can assure you that is not true. Being a "gamer" is a real thing. Some people just excel when the lights are brightest.

Some, sure, but how many? College football doesn't have four preseason games and they seem to evaluate their players just fine. I'm not saying live situations are useless but I'm not sure we need four either.

22 minutes ago, Phire said:

Some, sure, but how many? College football doesn't have four preseason games and they seem to evaluate their players just fine. I'm not saying live situations are useless but I'm not sure we need four either.

Outside of the normal powder puff games most teams schedule for week 1 and the light team color vs dark team color scrimmages, not much.

2 hours ago, Phire said:

What's to evaluate? They keep 80-90 players? You really want the starters playing a 1/2 of Football in the 1st Preseason gm coming off Β the 1st week of TC practice? If not that gm then what gm 2 hoping they don't get hurt going into the season a week later? You honestly think this week's "joint practices" are more important then the actual game? QB not in Red Jersey's? Players actualy going 100%, 11-11, blowing players up, real tackling/blocking? Come on now.

Answer me this. How many Snaps has Wentz played in the last 2 GM's? Cox? Lane? Alshon? 3 of the 4 gms are for evaluating younger players, not seasoned Vets/Starters. The only game where Starters are truly at risk is the 3rd Preseason game. Outside of that, there's nothing to change.Β 

You see more players getting major injuries during TC practices Not going Full Speed then you do in actual GM's. Extending Practices might be more of a detriment unless you're suggesting playing 18gms which I think is even more absurd from a players perspective.

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

What's to evaluate? They keep 80-90 players? You really want the starters playing a 1/2 of Football in the 1st Preseason gm coming off Β the 1st week of TC practice? If not that gm then what gm 2 hoping they don't get hurt going into the season a week later? You honestly think this week's "joint practices" are more important then the actual game? QB not in Red Jersey's? Players actualy going 100%, 11-11, blowing players up, real tackling/blocking? Come on now.

Answer me this. How many Snaps has Wentz played in the last 2 GM's? Cox? Lane? Alshon? 3 of the 4 gms are for evaluating younger players, not seasoned Vets/Starters. The only game where Starters are truly at risk is the 3rd Preseason game. Outside of that, there's nothing to change.Β 

You see more players getting major injuries during TC practices Not going Full Speed then you do in actual GM's. Extending Practices might be more of a detriment unless you're suggesting playing 18gms which I think is even more absurd from a players perspective.

Why would the starters play half a preseason game? You said it yourself. They already don't play a whole ton. NFL teams already admit through their conduct that preseason games are a load of bullcrapβ€”they barely play their starters. Hell, none of the 32 teams even use their actual plays in the preseason games. None of these teams are taking these games particularly seriously. If you cut the preseason to two games, you'd have less injuries and pretty much the same benefit of having preseason games. You want to give the very few players who suck in practice but show up in games a chance to prove they've got it? Sure, you have two full preseason games to give them that shot.

And who, exactly, is advocating for the preseason to stay the way it is? The players HATE the preseason. Everybody hates the preseason. Here's Packers president:

"I think one thing we can all agree on is the quality of play in the preseason is not good," Murphy said. "And players don't need game time, they don't need preseason games to get ready for the season. Certainly not four."

Here's Roger Goodell:

β€œI think that’s a good change and positive change,” Goodell said. β€œI still believe we don’t need four preseason games.”

Here's an NFL Player's Association executive laughing at the idea of adding more offseason contact:

Literally nobody likes the preseason as it is. The players don't need more contact. They need less. None of the players want to get hurt in the preseason. Not even the depth guys. I'm not exaggerating when I say that virtually NOBODY is advocating for the preseason games to stay the way they are and it's only a matter of time before it's changed. I literally cannot find a single valuable quote advocating for the four preseason games.

Β 

Also now that I think about it, the argument that some players play better in games and suck in practice is moot because except for the very few superstars that do that, a coach is never putting a fringe, depth guy who sucks in practice on the field. You need assurances that the player is going to do his job on the field in practice. You can't risk that player sucking on the field and getting someone hurt.

So now players don't need any actual game time against another opponent heading into a season? GTHOH.

Of course players don't want 4 preseason games, they're not getting paid!

Of course Goodell doesn't support 4 preseason games, he want 18 Regular Season GM's.

Why does every other Major Sports league have a Preseason? Spring Training, Summer League because athlete have to get into game shape or injuries will most likely occur. Football is no different. Wentz said yesterday in a PC he's thrown maybe 10 passes the past two games. Say this was the 2gms you suggest. He and this Offense look like they're ready to play this Sunday vs Washington?

It's like the NFL and some fans want players in skirts, wearing flags so little Tommy doesn't get a boo boo. ? It's bad enough they've reduced practices (no more 2 a days)and player contact (tackling periods) with this new CBA agreement but now they should eliminate 1/2 the evaluation process/gms too?Β 

Let's just play 7 on 7 with no Pads and wear flags if that's the case.