πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

28 minutes ago, RBreezy said:

Remember when Matt’s said that Rayne is similar to Tom Brady? All Prescott can do is check down and throw to guys who don’t have a defender within 5 yards of them. Unreal how overrated he got.Β 

That terrible take is really why Matts quit

40 minutes ago, RBreezy said:

Remember when Matt’s said that Rayne is similar to Tom Brady? All Prescott can do is check down and throw to guys who don’t have a defender within 5 yards of them. Unreal how overrated he got.Β 

I can't wait to see rayne this year with zero good receivers. it will be ugly.Β 

1 hour ago, RBreezy said:

Next Gen Stats had him as the best tight window thrower in the league last year FWIW.....

9 hours ago, Danger said:
17 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Next Gen Stats had him as the best tight window thrower in the league last year FWIW.....

Every single time I watched Prescott, he was only throwing to people who were wide open and/or behind the LOS.

The Next Gen Stat doesn't consider how many tight window throws were made. It gives the formula in the link. A tight window throw is defined as a throw to an intended receiver who had a yard or less of separation. The rankings are based on completion percentage, passer rating, and adjusted yards per attempt. It does not factor how many tight window throws were made. In fact, it doesn't say at all how many tight window throws were actually made, which is weird, because that would be important. All it says is a QB had to throw over 200 attempts in 2017 to be on the list, but not that any number of those had to be tight window throws. Just an interesting thought.

So it's entirely possible that Dak had the highest mix of completion percentage, passer rating, and adjusted yards per attempt, AND also padded his stats with easy throws to wide open receivers.Β 

Part of that has to do with Dez and Witten generally having excellent body control; and both being terrible at getting separation, sometimes. But the Cowboys also do a great job scheming guys open. There is no reason for Jason Witten to out-run anybody, but he's either blanketed making tough catches or he's somehow wide open on an island.

Honestly I think whoever calculated that realized he/she could put out some click-bait that would be heavily trafficked by Cowboys fans by configuring a cherry-picked formula, calling it "tight window throw" and having Dak as the #1 quarterback according to that formula. I don't see why HOW MANY ACTUAL TIGHT WINDOW THROWS WERE MADE wouldn't be a relevant factor in that analysis, but alas.

2 minutes ago, Phire said:

The Next Gen Stat doesn't consider how many tight window throws were made. It gives the formula in the link. A tight window throw is defined as a throw to an intended receiver who had a yard or less of separation. The rankings are based on completion percentage, passer rating, and adjusted yards per attempt. It does not factor how many tight window throws were made. In fact, it doesn't say at all how many tight window throws were actually made, which is weird, because that would be important. All it says is a QB had to throw over 200 attempts in 2017 to be on the list, but not that any number of those had to be tight window throws. Just an interesting thought.

So it's entirely possible that Dak had the highest mix of completion percentage, passer rating, and adjusted yards per attempt, AND also padded his stats with easy throws to wide open receivers.Β 

Part of that has to do with Dez and Witten generally having excellent body control; and both being terrible at getting separation, sometimes. But the Cowboys also do a great job scheming guys open. There is no reason for Jason Witten to out-run anybody, but he's either blanketed making tough catches or he's somehow wide open on an island.

Honestly I think whoever calculated that realized he/she could put out some click-bait that would be heavily trafficked by Cowboys fans by configuring a cherry-picked formula, calling it "tight window throw" and having Dak as the #1 quarterback according to that formula. I don't see why HOW MANY ACTUAL TIGHT WINDOW THROWS WERE MADE wouldn't be a relevant factor in that analysis, but alas.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#aggressiveness

Aggressiveness %Β 

Doing reverse engineering math BS

Carson threw 113/440 attempts into tight coverage
Dak Prescott threw 94/490 attempts into tight coverage

Thing is, I hardly ever saw Dak throw into tight coverage. so....

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I believe a Texas 9 rolled over him one morning and Matt's has been recovering in a hospital bed somewhere ever since.Β Β 

Could be the other way around this whole time and Matt's the Texas 9? Just saying.