πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

McCarthy made a like 5 NFC champ games and won a superbowl. Saying he is bad seems like a massive reach. And to be honest, he did okay for the hand he was dealt this year. He wasnt bad even though our record sucked. A few bonehead decisions but mostly acce[table.Β 

I was impressed he could get them not to full crater like they were in the middle of the year. But I’m not going to give him much when he had Rodgers that whole time. Obviously you have to be somewhat good at your job to do that, but outwardly it always seemed to be him who was one of the bigger things in their way.

8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

No clue on DC. Moore just extended 3 years though, not that it would stop him.

If you guys nail that I think it’d be big. Yeah I think the best deterrent for Moore leaving could be him himself. You could speak to this more, but he seems like sort of a quiet guy, is that right? Like would teams be wary because of a guy like Pat Shurmur? But also he might be happy being in Dallas, hard to say. I think if a big college job opens up he could go.Β 

14 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Ha. My entire family are die hardΒ Cowboys fans from Texas. I lived in Pensacola, Emmitt Smiths family were clients of my moms. We moved to Texas when I was 8. There is nothing friont runner about it.

Dont you live in Vegas, Raiders fan..

You could probably win a child abuse case if you present that information to a court.Β πŸ˜€

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I was impressed he could get them not to full crater like they were in the middle of the year. But I’m not going to give him much when he had Rodgers that whole time. Obviously you have to be somewhat good at your job to do that, but outwardly it always seemed to be him who was one of the bigger things in their way.

He also made one with Favre, I think? And although Rodgers is great, there are other great QBs who havent had that success.

59 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

If you guys nail that I think it’d be big. Yeah I think the best deterrent for Moore leaving could be him himself. You could speak to this more, but he seems like sort of a quiet guy, is that right? Like would teams be wary because of a guy like Pat Shurmur? But also he might be happy being in Dallas, hard to say. I think if a big college job opens up he could go.Β 

He doesnt speak to the media that often, so I couldnt really tell you his personality in that manner. He does seem pretty even keeled.Β 

20 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

He also made one with Favre, I think? And although Rodgers is great, there are other great QBs who havent had that success.

Based on the ever reliable wikipedia he only made 1 SB in GB and that was with Rodgers.Β  Favre made 2 SBs in the 90s, but McCarthy was added on as the QB Coach there the year after their 2 SB appearances.Β Β 

edit - unless you meant just making it to the Conference Championship game, which I don't think he did with Favre either.Β Β 

Edited by MKnight82

14 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

@Matts4313Β my main issue with McCarthy is that he seems pretty old school and not very innovative.Β  Seems like the NFL has kind of passed him by.Β Β 

I would disagree due to the fact that we was using analytics to make some wild arse decisions. Some worked, some were stupid. Add to that some trick plays.

And again, he doesnt call the offense on gameday.

Fat Mike won't last 2 years, Wonder Boy 2.0 is already in place. If Jerry wasn't worried about looking like an idiot for hiring McCarthy the way he did to Garrett, He'd make the switch now.

However that's not Jerry (always thinking public perception) so he's going to give him 1 more year to choke like the Cowboys always do and fire him then.Β 

Edited by Nabbs4u

53 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Β 

Yeah he had the one year with Favre, the other they sucked. But again, can’t give him a ton of the success of a Hall of Fame QB. It’s more than many can say, but not indicative of much.

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

He doesnt speak to the media that often, so I couldnt really tell you his personality in that manner. He does seem pretty even keeled.Β 

Yeah he seemed kinda shy in the few interviews I saw. But could just be a media thing. Truly have no clue.

Β 

23 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I would disagree due to the fact that we was using analytics to make some wild arse decisions. Some worked, some were stupid. Add to that some trick plays.

And again, he doesnt call the offense on gameday

Funniest thing during the his hiring was him spending a day at PFF and thenΒ being consideredΒ an analytics guy. Good for him for somewhat backing it up, even if it’s seemingly done without nuance.

19 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

But again, can’t give him a ton of the success of a Hall of Fame QB.

what about training multiple hof qbs? seeing as he coached montana, young, favre, rodgers... hell he even got a probowl year out of Aaron Brooks.

His track record is solid.

29 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

what about training multiple hof qbs? seeing as he coached montana, young, favre, rodgers... hell he even got a probowl year out of Aaron Brooks.

His track record is solid.

He was a quality control coach during Montana’s KC days. I thought it was weird JoeΒ didn’t thank him in his HoF speech too.

Steve Young? He never coached him.Β 

He was Favre’s QB coach post SB and post Andy. Again, not sure what credit he gets like with the one good year he had with Favre as a HC. (Very little to none)

No one can do it alone, so McCarthy obviously has to get some kudos for his time with the Packers.Β But with it being Rodgers, who is about as self motivational as Brady is, and one of the most talented QBs we’ve ever had....I’m dubious in giving him a lot of credit. Especially with how mishandled those teams were after the first couple years.

Β 

The brooks thing might be the most impressive thing he’s done.Β 
Β 

Outwardly some seems like he’s a bit of a grifter with the β€œI’ve changed” stuff. Or more accurately he’s a β€œproducer” who talks up all his connections and hookups and pulls a girl in at a club, she wakes up in the morning on a mattress directly on the floor in a white room with nothing on the walls. As she walks out puzzled, unsure in the haze of it all what happened, she hears β€œmornin’ princess...mom is making some chocolate chip eggos...we have time for another round?!?”. Shame, regret and frustration wash over her. She’s alone, and she knows she has nobody to blame but herself.