🦅🤠 NFC East 🤷‍♂️🆘 | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Disagree! If anything like say Bijan Robinson this year. If you can get 4-5 years of ELITE RB production, on a Rookie contract, draft that MF!

Worry about years 4,5 and 6 if and when they come around. I've never understood why losing say a CB, DE, OL, DL ect.... after his rookie contract because you didn't resign him to a long term deal is any GD different from not resigning a RB if that's what you choose to do?

Like every position in football,  there are ELITE game changing RB and the dime a Dozen we can find the easy replacement BS in the later rds.

You get a chance at CMC, you draft his *** and not think twice until year 4 if you decide to extend/FTag his *** in year 5!!!!!

Not that this hasn’t been discussed ad nauseam. But the examples you used I’ll touch on; it’s the same as any other RB taken in the top of the first. Generally, teams picking up there are 3-5 years always from competing. And usually those teams are picking there because they’re bad. They are bad because they lack the foundation they need to be a successful team. i.e. Good QB, OL, DL. So, for those teams to ignore those foundational problems and go ahead and take a supplementary position like RB, which is dependent on other positions to be successful is irresponsible to building a good team. Is there more than one way to build a team? For sure. But typically, GMs already struggle with building a winning program to begin with. Doing anything other than getting foundational positions like the ones mentioned when you’re that high up in the draft typically backfires and sets the team back a few years. I asked a while back to give me examples of long term success, both personally and organizationally when you draft a “can’t miss” RB early in the first and Zeke was probably the best example and it’s not a good example. Regardless, even if he ends up being a good player, i.e. CMC, the team isn’t ready to compete while he is cheap and under control and they are forced to watch walk out of the building or try and recoup pennies on the dollar. 

It just doesn’t make sense. It rarely ever works and every SB team this century has easily “overcome” the high priced, high draft pick RB and won anyway. I’d go out on a limb and take it as far to say having the that pick on your team or giving a RB a top 3 contract will work against you achieving a SB. 

“I've never understood why losing say a CB, DE, OL, DL ect.... after his rookie contract because you didn't resign him to a long term deal is any GD different from not resigning a RB if that's what you choose to do?”

Because opportunity cost. Teams don’t often get to draft in the top 5 or so unless they are just the dreck of the NFL. So when they get that opportunity, they have to nail that pick or you end up with a player taking up valuable cap space and a valuable roster spot who stinks. Most of the time you are almost forced to keep a high draft pick on your team because of the investment it took to get him. Even if he’s a complete stiff, teams will give those guys years sometimes to turn it around. That’s really any position but the point is; RBs rarely return that value. And even if they do end up being studs that your offense can revolve around, they need a 2nd contract to justify the pick. That second contract becomes exorbitant to the cap. And while he may still produce, the replacement value would save you millions. Even if it’s a slight drop off in skill, the cap savings are paramount. They can then replace them relatively cheaper while affording more in other areas of concern. Like trading in your Lexus for a gas efficient Toyota and using that monthly surplus to buy healthy food or a gym membership. You still drive, you can still get to work. You still get where your going. It may not be as fancy but you’ve improved other areas of your life that will produce a return. 

Imagine your franchise disrespecting their best and most consistent player through the media instead of keeping things in house? Couldn’t be me.

Dallas definitely got over on Tyron Smith and Zack Martin especially with their 8 and 6 year deals respectively. Both should’ve done like 3-4 years max to be able to re-up again instead of still being under contract when they’re well into their 30s.

With that said, man… I hate how the Cowboys do business. They smeared Amari Cooper out the door with Mike Fisher once his contract got too high for them. They hesitate constantly on paying their guys and usually that leads to them overpaying constantly. Dak is the shining example. They pay him early like Wentz and Goff then they probably could’ve had him for maybe 10 million less per year and maybe an extra year on his contract compared to what they got.

Cowboys draft history has obviously been pretty good over the past, but that’s only one way a front office helps the team and their front office lags behind in a lot of other smaller things that add up. Howie on the other hand is so good at everything else around the margins that they aren’t and I’ll always be thankful for that. Shoutout to Lurie too who plays his part as an owner pretty much to perfection.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Imagine your franchise disrespecting their best and most consistent player through the media instead of keeping things in house? Couldn’t be me.

Dallas definitely got over on Tyron Smith and Zack Martin especially with their 8 and 6 year deals respectively. Both should’ve done like 3-4 years max to be able to re-up again instead of still being under contract when they’re well into their 30s.

With that said, man… I hate how the Cowboys do business. They smeared Amari Cooper out the door with Mike Fisher once his contract got too high for them. They hesitate constantly on paying their guys and usually that leads to them overpaying constantly. Dak is the shining example. They pay him early like Wentz and Goff then they probably could’ve had him for maybe 10 million less per year and maybe an extra year on his contract compared to what they got.

Cowboys draft history has obviously been pretty good over the past, but that’s only one way a front office helps the team and their front office lags behind in a lot of other smaller things that add up. Howie on the other hand is so good at everything else around the margins that they aren’t and I’ll always be thankful for that. Shoutout to Lurie too who plays his part as an owner pretty much to perfection.

Agreed. Just ugly to take this to the media even as a negotiation tactic. Shut up and keep it between you and the player, especially a player of that caliber who has carried your team for so long.

Cowboys do a lot of things well. This is one of those things they don't.

• Like 1

I expect nothing less from both Jerry and Irsay. The only reason we don't talk more about thier antics is because Daniel Synder was still an owner, took away most of the heat.

Both love to hear the sound of thier own GD voice. It's just a shame Zack and JT don't pull a Emmitt. Force thier hands, especially after loses. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...