πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

51 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

What is thisΒ based on?Β  Certainly not any stats/rankings from last season.Β 

Β 

Eh maybe I missed something, honestly just went off feeling with it. We’re they really that good last year? Thought you guys had holes on the left side.Β 

If it’s good then you really just have Fitz to really worry about, because you got Terry some help at WR and should be able to scrap by at RB.

Its not a small thing to get over with Fitz. He’s never done it and is turning 39 this season. But a lot of the other ducks are in a row.

51 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Eh maybe I missed something, honestly just went off feeling with it. We’re they really that good last year? Thought you guys had holes on the left side.Β 

If it’s good then you really just have Fitz to really worry about, because you got Terry some help at WR and should be able to scrap by at RB.

Its not a small thing to get over with Fitz. He’s never done it and is turning 39 this season. But a lot of the other ducks are in a row.

The WFT finished 6th in PFF's 2020 OL ranking.Β  They finished 3rd in ESPN's run block win rate and 14th in pass block win rate.

Regardless of what Fitz is, or has been, he's a no-brainer upgrade over what we had last year.

6 hours ago, Go_Giants said:

I have no issues with that, your taking a side and not straddling the fence. It is also why I included 'some Eagles fans' and not every Eagles fan in most of my statements.

Yeah I'm all about winning this year and Hurts being the guy so we can spend our draft picks elsewhere. That's the best possible scenario for us this year. Only time I get into tank mode is when we're mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. Even then, it feels dirty and I don't get mad if we win.

I think Ereck Flowers is going to start again for us, and he played well in 2019.Β 

Per PFF, as Poupart noted, Flowers racked up a 65.9/100 grade from ProFootballFocus.com (PFF), which ranked 31st of 80 graded guards in the NFL.Β 

Nothing elite, but nothing to scoff at. Upgrade over what we had last year.Β 

The biggest question is definitely Cosmi at RT. Someone mentioned he should be a guard, and I disagree heavily. I really wanted him in this draft and was happy to get him. He's got A LOT of work to do, and I am shocked he's starting already, but I've opened up my mouth about him a bunch and hopefully he pays off very soon.Β 

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The WFT finished 6th in PFF's 2020 OL ranking.Β  They finished 3rd in ESPN's run block win rate and 14th in pass block win rate.

Regardless of what Fitz is, or has been, he's a no-brainer upgrade over what we had last year.

Oh no doubt, just you guys are are playing a first place schedule this year and the division can’t really be much easier than it was last year. So Fitz probably needs to be better than he’s ever been to make much of an upswing and the team overall needs to make a jump to get into the 10+ wins area.

Certainly doable, just not a gimme.

50 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Oh no doubt, just you guys are are playing a first place schedule this year and the division can’t really be much easier than it was last year. So Fitz probably needs to be better than he’s ever been to make much of an upswing and the team overall needs to make a jump to get into the 10+ wins area.

Certainly doable, just not a gimme.

His best season was probably 2015 with the Jets when he went 10-6 with 3900 yards andΒ 31/15 TD/INT. If he mimics that, then yeah, it'll possibly be there for the taking. But that's also asking him to do something he hasn't in over 5 years.Β 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Β 

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

His best season was probably 2015 with the Jets when he went 10-6 with 3900 yards andΒ 31/15 TD/INT. If he mimics that, then yeah, it'll possibly be there for the taking. But that's also asking him to do something he hasn't in over 5 years.Β 

Should probably start by saying that I’m about as pessimistic about Fitz as WFT fans get. I consider him to be somewhat Kirk Cousins-like in terms of contributing to winning β€” which is one of the biggest insults I can give someone.Β 

That said...

We’re talking about a guy who ranked 6thΒ in Total QBR last season (placing him between Β Dak Prescott and Drew Brees). He ranked perhaps a more reasonable 16th in DVOA, but with a number that placed him much closer to Matt Ryan (15th), Matthew Stafford (14th), and Russell Wilson (13th) than Baker Mayfield (17th) and Kyler Murray (18th).

And it wasn’t really a one-year thing. In 2019, he ranked 19th in DVOA (between Brady/Goff and Wentz/Murray) and 8th in QBR (just behind Deshaun Watson). In 2018, he was 6th in DVOA (again sandwiched by Goff and Brady) and 15th in QBR (again just behind Watson). In 2017, he didn’t quite throw 200+ passes to qualify for the main leaderboard, but again, his DVOA would have ranked 11th and his QBR would have ranked 15th. Over that span from 2017-2020, he’s also 17th in ANY/A among active QBs.

All of that is to make the point that forΒ several years now, he’s been playing like a roughly league average-ish starting QB, per some of the advanced metrics at least. Probably a little better than that, actually, on the whole β€” but we all know the FitzMagic experience can be a rollercoaster ride, so I think that week-to-week volatility decreases the overall value of his play.Β 

Now compare β€œleague average-ish starting QB” to what Washington fielded at the position last year, when they went 7-9 and won the division.Β 

ThereΒ were 36 qualifying QBs (200+ passes thrown). Alex Smith ranked 35th in both DVOA and QBR β€” second to last in the entire league. Who was the only guy worse? Dwayne Haskins, who was dead last in both categories. They fared a little better in ANY/A (33rd and 35th, respectively), but I think the point is made: Washington’s QB play wasn’t just β€œbelow-average” or β€œshaky” last season, it was absolutely dreadful.Β 

Upgrading from that utterly atrocious level of play β€”Β at the most important position on the field β€” to something resembling league average will likely pay substantial dividends, in terms of the offensive output. Adding Curtis Samuel, Adam Humphries, and Dyami Brown to what was a pretty moribund receiver room outside of Scary Terry will help make it easier for Fitz to remain at that level. He doesn’t have to be Magic, anything but truly Tragic would be a big step up from where we were.

Β 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Upgrading from that utterly atrocious level of play β€”Β at the most important position on the field β€” to something resembling league average will likely pay substantial dividends, in terms of the offensive output.

Its so obvious as well. Let put this in Eagles fans terms:

Going from their QBs last year to Fitzy is roughly the equivalent of exchanging a 2020 Wentz (worst in the NFL) to 2019 (Wentz)... ya know, a league average QB who hadnt been to the playoffs yet.Β Β 

Edited by Matts4313

Once again.... no one said Fitz isn't better than Smith/Haskins......

We are saying that your QB is Ryan Fitzpatrick, known journeyman who is turning 39 this year.

If you want meΒ to say he is an upgrade, that isn't really a debate.

If you want me to say I am now scared Washington is a good team because they have Ryan Fitzpatrick.... sorry but I am not.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I read that Hurts has been amazing against the Pats in practice.Β 

Yeah he outplayed the Pats QBs in the joint practices. Seems like things are clicking more.

Pats beat reporters were giving him a decent amount of love. I think the Pats QBs bounced back quite a bit today from the first practice which wasn't gonna be too hard to do,Β but supposedly Cam was taking a good amount of check downs too. Our receivers were pretty routinely cooking their DBs too. Obviously Gilmore wasn't out there, but JC Jackson who made the top 50 on the top 100 players list was getting beat a good amount by our young guys. Our defense was also doing a pretty good job holding them down the past 2 days.Β  Patriots won a bit more today for sure whereas they were pretty easily outplayed on Monday. Didn't think they would have a 2nd really bad practice in a row under Belichick.

Hopefully Hurts can carry over this momentum with playing well against Pittsburgh in limited time and stringing together multiple solid to above average practices into the game on Thursday, because I'm guessing that will be the most playing time he gets this preseason.

Not really sure how teams are gonna treat the last preseason game. Are starters still gonna play or will it be like previous years when the 4th/last preseason game was pretty much all 2nd to last stringers?

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

26 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Stop being so delusional with your expectationsΒ 

Would you prefer I go back to reminding you that your team is the new browns? Im going to laugh my arseΒ off when you are the first 0-17 teamΒ πŸ˜™

Edited by Matts4313

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah he outplayed the Pats QBs in the joint practices. Seems like things are clicking more.

Pats beat reporters were giving him a decent amount of love. I think the Pats QBs bounced back quite a bit today from the first practice which wasn't gonna be too hard to do,Β but supposedly Cam was taking a good amount of check downs too. Our receivers were pretty routinely cooking their DBs too. Obviously Gilmore wasn't out there, but JC Jackson who made the top 50 on the top 100 players list was getting beat a good amount by our young guys. Our defense was also doing a pretty good job holding them down the past 2 days.Β  Patriots won a bit more today for sure whereas they were pretty easily outplayed on Monday. Didn't think they would have a 2nd really bad practice in a row under Belichick.

Hopefully Hurts can carry over this momentum with playing well against Pittsburgh in limited time and stringing together multiple solid to above average practices into the game on Thursday, because I'm guessing that will be the most playing time he gets this preseason.

Not really sure how teams are gonna treat the last preseason game. Are starters still gonna play or will it be like previous years when the 4th/last preseason game was pretty much all 2nd to last stringers?

If Cam was the Cowboys QB I would go insane. He frustrates the hell out of me.Β 

For your other point - I doubt any starters play after this weekend.Β 

13 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Would you prefer I go back to reminding you that your team is the new browns? Im going to laugh my arseΒ off when you are the first 0-17 teamΒ πŸ˜™

What's that? I can't hear you over no Super Bowls in the last quarter century.Β 

Even Eli did it. LOL