🦅🤠 NFC East 🤷‍♂️🆘 | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

Food for thought, ESPN did a feature piece (paywall article, or else I’d post it) where they ranked every team unit-by-unit, from 1 to 32. They then came up with (what they claim is) a “weighted consensus” based on positional importance.**

** I’m dubious of that claim because Kansas City was rated #1 at QB and still somehow at #12 in the overall rankings. If QB was weighted appropriately, that really shouldn’t be possible. It does make a point I tried to make last season, though, about how KC’s roster is really pretty unimpressive once you get past their top 6ish players (now I guess it would be 7: Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones, Son of Zeus, Thuney, Honey Badger). 

Anyway...

Here’s how it stacked up for the NFC East rivals, in terms of overall roster quality, according to the article:

5. Dallas

13. Washington

21. New York

25. Philadelphia

I’m happy to answer questions about specific unit rankings to give a little more clarity to how they got there, but didn’t want to just come right out and post them all in a big info dump because of the paywall issues, etc. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Food for thought, ESPN did a feature piece (paywall article, or else I’d post it) where they ranked every team unit-by-unit, from 1 to 32. They then came up with (what they claim is) a “weighted consensus” based on positional importance.**

** I’m dubious of that claim because Kansas City was rated #1 at QB and still somehow at #12 in the overall rankings. If QB was weighted appropriately, that really shouldn’t be possible. It does make a point I tried to make last season, though, about how KC’s roster is really pretty unimpressive once you get past their top 6ish players (now I guess it would be 7: Mahomes, Kelce, Hill, Jones, Son of Zeus, Thuney, Honey Badger). 

Anyway...

Here’s how it stacked up for the NFC East rivals, in terms of overall roster quality, according to the article:

5. Dallas

13. Washington

21. New York

25. Philadelphia

I’m happy to answer questions about specific unit rankings to give a little more clarity to how they got there, but didn’t want to just come right out and post them all in a big info dump because of the paywall issues, etc. 

Interesting.  I wouldn't put Dallas at #5, unless they're really underweighting defense.  But the rest seem pretty fair. 

Were we #1 at DL?  Where did they have us ranked at QB?  Guessing somewhere around 20.

QB
1 DAL
2 PHI/NYG/WAS

RB
1 NYG/DAL
3 WAS
4 PHI

WR
1 DAL
2 NYG/WAS
4 PHI

TE
1 PHI
2 WAS
3 NYG
4 DAL

OL
1 PHI/DAL
3 WAS
4 NYG

DL
1 WAS
2 PHI
3 NYG
4 DAL

LB
1 DAL
2 WAS/NYG
4 PHI

CB/S
1 NYG
2 PHI
3 WFT
4 DAL

Coaching
1 WAS
2 DAL/NYG

How I'd rank them.
Don't know the S/T players enough to rank them.
Can't really rank Nick until after the season.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, e16bball said:

2. Dallas

5. Philadelphia

15. Washington

30. New York

My gut reaction is it feels like they probably didn’t give enough weight to age/durability and depth in terms of full OL units.

Agreed. Washington is probably about where I'd place them, and the order is still correct in my eye, but I don't think either are T5. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Agreed. Washington is probably about where I'd place them, and the order is still correct in my eye, but I don't think either are T5. 

I’m right with you on this. 

At their very best, with full health and no decline from aging/injured players, I could see Dallas and Philly both top 5. The raw talent level is there, especially with Philly honestly. If we’re talking about upside and best case scenario, I’d actually have the Eagles first. If Kelce and Brooks and Lane Johnson are all there and healthy and playing at the level we’ve grown to expect from them, that could still be an absolutely elite OL, especially if Mailata lives up to some of the hype he’s getting out of camp. Even better than top 5, really.

But we’re talking about Kelce at 34 and Brooks at 32 and Lane at 31, with the latter two coming off very injury-plagued seasons and the former having seriously considered retiring. Are we really considering it the most likely scenario that all 3 of those guys remain healthy and resume playing at a high level? And where do they stand then, especially with Mailata still mostly unproven and Seumalo coming off a year where he too missed half the season with a serious injury of his own. 

There’s just a lot of potential variance and volatility there, and I think you have to knock them down a little more than just to the bottom of the top 5. And I feel even more strongly about the Cowboys on that front, actually — Tyron is a mortal lock to miss games at this point, Collins hasn’t played a snap since before anyone ever heard the word COVID, and even Zack Martin finally showed signs of being human. At their best, could still be great (though not as good as PHI at its best, in my view) — but how could you possibly pencil in that trio for a full slate, especially when Tyron and Collins are already having injury issues again?

I agree with their choice to put Washington 3rd in the division, and probably somewhere in the 12-16 range. There’s not the elite upside there, I can’t come up with many scenarios where they’re a totally dominant OL. But the thing with them is the depth — you’ve got a legit starting quality OT backup in Cornelius Lucas, a legit starting quality IOL backup in either Flowers or Schweitzer, and a wild card in Saahdiq Charles that might somehow force his way into the lineup based on pure talent. That’s a lot of meaningful protection against normal attrition and inevitable injuries along the line. They likely won’t be great, but the odds are very high that they’ll be solid. 

And then NYG has some OL players on its team, as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

QB
1 DAL
2 PHI/NYG/WAS

RB
1 NYG/DAL
3 WAS
4 PHI

WR
1 DAL
2 NYG/WAS
4 PHI

TE
1 PHI
2 WAS
3 NYG
4 DAL

OL
1 PHI/DAL
3 WAS
4 NYG

DL
1 WAS
2 PHI
3 NYG
4 DAL

LB
1 DAL
2 WAS/NYG
4 PHI

CB/S
1 NYG
2 PHI
3 WFT
4 DAL

Coaching
1 WAS
2 DAL/NYG

How I'd rank them.

I think I would put Washington even with us for CB/S. Definitely not behind us.

32 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

*looks at 873 pages* yeah, you're right. 

I mean it's just unbelievable. If talent never produces wins on a consistent basis, then how can it be deemed talented? How are we measuring talent? Individual parts are greater in singularity than the sum? I'm just looking for a way for this to be credible and consistent. Because in Dallas case, it hasn't been. 

Dallas is always going to be overhyped, specifically by ESPN. It's happened forever and will never change. Still top 5 roster with that DL and those DBs? That is truly something else lol.

Other than that, pretty decent rankings. I'd have Washington about 3 spots lower personally but they are in the right range.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

QB
1 DAL
2 PHI/NYG/WAS

RB
1 NYG/DAL
3 WAS
4 PHI

WR
1 DAL
2 NYG/WAS
4 PHI

TE
1 PHI
2 WAS
3 NYG
4 DAL

OL
1 PHI/DAL
3 WAS
4 NYG

DL
1 WAS
2 PHI
3 NYG
4 DAL

LB
1 DAL
2 WAS/NYG
4 PHI

CB/S
1 NYG
2 PHI
3 WFT
4 DAL

Coaching
1 WAS
2 DAL/NYG

How I'd rank them.

I still think this is the wosrt way of ranking because it doesnt speak to the skill-gap, nor positional value gap, at each spot.

IE - If all teams ended up with similar rushing production, would it really matter which RB is listed #1 vs #4 in this ranking? Probably not. 

1 hour ago, EagleBlueDon said:

If talent never produces wins on a consistent basis, then how can it be deemed talented? 

Might want to rethink this stance. We are top 10 in wins for the past decade, and top 5 in wins the past 15 years. People who dont hate us understand that we do consistently put a competitive product on the field just like you.

47 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Dallas is always going to be overhyped, specifically by ESPN. It's happened forever and will never change. Still top 5 roster with that DL and those DBs? That is truly something else lol.

I am going to keep saying it because none of you want to listen. 

We are going to end up with about ~50%+ defensive roster turnover + another 4 new coaches. Of that ~50% roster turnover, it includes the highest rated defensive player in the draft, the #1 run stopping DT in the NFL last year, a probowl saftey and an NFL-INT leader (along with hooker).  

Im not even saying we will be good. I am just saying you guys dont actually have any clue whatsoever how bad we will be. You are running off prayers that we will be just as bad as last year. Just like I am running on prayers that it wont. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stating it another way - if you look at the projected starters in 2020 vs the starters in 2021 - here is the overlap:

1. DLaw

2. LVE

3. T Diggs

4. D Wilson 

5. A Brown (maybe)

Thats pretty much it. Guys like Jaylon Smith and Jordan Lewis are still here, but it appears theyve lost their job to someone more talented.

Edited by Matts4313