πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

55 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Jalen just doesn't make good decisions with the football. I feel like Quez should've had like 300 more yards receiving.Β 

There are a lot of things I could knock him for, but this ain't the one I'd pick.

Β 

Maybe we agree and you're simply phrasing is in a different way, but jalens two biggest issues are 1. Arm ability and 2. Reading the field.

He doesn't often make boneheaded throws, with the Giants game being a notable exception.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

There are a lot of things I could knock him for, but this ain't the one I'd pick.

Β 

Maybe we agree and you're simply phrasing is in a different way, but jalens two biggest issues are 1. Arm ability and 2. Reading the field.

He doesn't often make boneheaded throws, with the Giants game being a notable exception.

I feel like I've seen him make so many throws into double coverage.Β 

Just now, EagleBlueDon said:

His biggest issue is his delayed reaction, like I genuinely think he’d be a solid NFL starter if he’d

read-throw rather than readβ€”-β€”throw

He’d certainly get more out of DeVonta who can be a goat separator or take advantage of Quez’s speed.

43 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Β 

29 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

His biggest issue is his delayed reaction, like I genuinely think he’d be a solid NFL starter if he’d

read-throw rather than readβ€”-β€”throw

He’d certainly get more out of DeVonta who can be a goat separator or take advantage of Quez’s speed.

Yeah, and that's what I was alluding to. Hurts misses a lot of potentially open guys because he's slow to read the field, and doesn't have the arm to compensate. Thus he has times where he has to take shots that could be ill-advised. He's not gun-slinging and making bad reads IMO. He just ... isn't making the reads quick enough for the NFL more often than not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Β 

Yeah, and that's what I was alluding to. Hurts misses a lot of potentially open guys because he's slow to read the field, and doesn't have the arm to compensate. Thus he has times where he has to take shots that could be ill-advised. He's not gun-slinging and making bad reads IMO. He just ... isn't making the reads quick enough for the NFL more often than not.

Yep. This is why I believe he will never take that next step. His processing speed is just way too slow and that is one of the traits that is least likely to improve in any QB imo. It would be one thing if he just was learning to read defenses and he didn't know how to find the open guy... that would be a much easier fix.

Β 

Well I find it impossible to tell the difference really since the result is the same. He throws the ball, I see the screen cut to Smith in triple coverage ending in a layup interception for the safety etc. Hard to tell. I think the two play into each other as well as just a lack of overall arm strength.Β 

Question, is this something that can be improved upon the more he starts? Do you believe him to be intelligent enough to get better? Reading NFL Defenses has nothing to do with arm talent.

I ask because those are similar things that were being said about Dak only being able to make 1 read his first year starting and Allen his 2nd year in the NFL not processing fast enough along with his piss poor mechanics. Then they both made adjustments.Β 

Not every QB comes out of the gates like Justin Herbet. Is Pat Mahomes, becomes Josh Allen year 3.

6 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Yep. This is why I believe he will never take that next step. His processing speed is just way too slow and that is one of the traits that is least likely to improve in any QB imo. It would be one thing if he just was learning to read defenses and he didn't know how to find the open guy... that would be a much easier fix.

Dak and Josh say high and disagree.

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

Dak and Josh say high and disagree.

Josh didn't know how to read a defense. He came from a small school and had to learn how to do it from scratch. It is significantly different than Hurts' issues.

Dak was a one read QB early in his career and has turned into a see it and throw it kinda guy. He was never a slow processor. He isn't an elite, pick apart the defense kinda guy.... but when sees an open receiver he has a very quick trigger and gets the ball out immediately. This is why his play improved so much when he got a guy like Amari on the outside.

Hurts knows how to read defenses. He played in two of the best systems for QBs in college with incredible talent. He has been reading defenses for years. He knows what he is looking at, but it takes him way too long to process the information. He is an intelligent kid, but being able to process information as quickly as an NFL QB needs to is a rare skill set and isn't based on IQ. I hope he proves me wrong, but I personally have never seen a QB with this problem overcome it and become an above average NFL QB.

23 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I've seen just about every single trait that makes up a QB described as "Least likely to improve" over the years. Do I think he will? Not really. But it's certainly not out of the question. Really the only thing that can't be learned taught is physical tools/traits. Hurts' arm will never have more pop zip and gun to it.

21 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Well I find it impossible to tell the difference really since the result is the same. He throws the ball, I see the screen cut to Smith in triple coverage ending in a layup interception for the safety etc. Hard to tell. I think the two play into each other as well as just a lack of overall arm strength.Β 

If you watch some tape it becomes very obvious. He kinda stares down open guys before throwing the ball.. until they are no longer open. It's why his arm looks so bad too. He can make every throw, but when you are throwing the ball two seconds late every time you have to put more air under it, or fit it into an impossibly small window.

24 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

He doesn't make throws that generally are risky plays.Β 

He's pretty good about ball security, unless it's do or die. Again the Giants game was a huge exception. I'm probably the most against Hurts as a long term answer here, but I'd prefer to be genuine with my takes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

If you watch some tape it becomes very obvious. He kinda stares down open guys before throwing the ball.. until they are no longer open. It's why his arm looks so bad too. He can make every throw, but when you are throwing the ball two seconds late every time you have to put more air under it, or fit it into an impossibly small window.

The lack of a good laser canon arm also makes it so his windows are more brief than someone like Josh Allen or even Carson.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

I've seen just about every single trait that makes up a QB described as "Least likely to improve" over the years. Do I think he will? Not really. But it's certainly not out of the question. Really the only thing that can't be learned taught is physical tools/traits. Hurts' arm will never have more pop zip and gun to it.

Arm strength is a luxury imo, but it can bail out guys who are worse at reading defenses because they can fit balls into tighter spaces. The new wave of young QB's all seem to have really amazing arms, but the last group of elite guys didn't rely on arm strength nearly as much.