πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

37 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Nah, you guys can go get Hue Jackson. He is itching to come back.Β 

He used to seem decent but man he went off the deep end in Cleveland.Β 
Β 

If Jerry does finally nix Garrett, bestΒ case scenario is HueΒ weasels his way in somehow.

Just now, Kiltman said:

He used to seem decent but man he went off the deep end in Cleveland.Β 
Β 

If Jerry does finally nix Garrett, bestΒ case scenario is HueΒ weasels his way in somehow.

lol, not happening. Jerry is already allegedly talking to Lincoln Riley and Urban Myer. Once Garret gets canned, I would be shocked if we dont get a big name.Β 

12 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

lol, not happening. Jerry is already allegedly talking to Lincoln Riley and Urban Myer. Once Garret gets canned, I would be shocked if we dont get a big name.Β 

Urban would be an oddΒ move with his track record...have no idea how he’d do. Could be a flash in the pan and then gone like he’s always been.

Im sure both Jerry and Dan Snyder will go after Lincoln Riley. Hell the Mara’s might even make a play for him if they think they could get him. Giants would be more competitive than than Skins in turns of allure.

Seen a lot of Cleveland peopleΒ think he’d come to the Browns, I don’t think he liked Baker that much that he’d take a job like that.

22 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Urban would be an oddΒ move with his track record...have no idea how he’d do. Could be a flash in the pan and then gone like he’s always been.

Im sure both Jerry and Dan Snyder will go after Lincoln Riley. Hell the Mara’s might even make a play for him if they think they could get him. Giants would be more competitive than than Skins in turns of allure.

Seen a lot of Cleveland peopleΒ think he’d come to the Browns, I don’t think he liked Baker that much that he’d take a job like that.

The Cowboys head coaching job is one of, if not theΒ most coveted jobs in sports. On top of that Jerry will pay huge money; our staff will be highest paid in the NFL.Β And we are really young/talented to boot. If any big name coach is actually available, they are coming to our team.Β 

57 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The Cowboys head coaching job is one of, if not theΒ most coveted jobs in sports. On top of that Jerry will pay huge money; our staff will be highest paid in the NFL.Β And we are really young/talented to boot. If any big name coach is actually available, they are coming to our team.Β 

Riley isn't leaving Oklahoma to work for an egocentric owner like Jerry. Why would he when he's the king at OU and basically answers to nobody?Β 

Urban Meyer would be a bad hire. So hopefully you guys get him then.Β 

5 minutes ago, baconrad11 said:

Riley isn't leaving Oklahoma to work for an egocentric owner like Jerry. Why would he when he's the king at OU and basically answers to nobody?Β 

This is a wrong fan opinion that gets disproved time and time (and time, and time, and time) again. But no matter how many times players and coaches speak to how Jerry is one of the best owners in the NFL, it still gets brought up as fact:

Bill Parcells:

Β When asked about the perception of Jerry clashing with head coaches, he had this to say.

"Oh yeah, definitely. I think it’s distorted," Parcells said. "I think there’s a definite misperception. I just think everyone thinks things are a certain way. I didn’t see it to be that way. I think Jerry is a good businessmen and a good listener. What you have to do is make sense to him. You’ve got to make sense to him. If he thinks you’re making sense, he’ll alter his opinion. I enjoyed him. I like him. I like him a lot."

"I liked my experience there," Parcells said. "It didn’t turn out perfect from a record-standpoint. I understand all of that. But I learned a lot and I enjoyed working there.

"Jerry and I are pretty good friends. I don’t know whether or not people know that. We talk a little bit. I wouldn’t say frequently. We talk a little bit. We talked recently. It’s good. And I’m close with Stephen [Jones], too. I enjoyed working there with the Joneses. They were supportive and tried to help."

"I spent four years with him," Switzer said, "won a Super Bowl and when I left I said: 'When I got here you told me there were 500 coaches who could win a Super Bowl with this team. Well I did it and there's 499 left out there [so go get one].' But anyway we've had fun. Jerry's a great guy."

Wade Phillips:

What's your favorite story about Jerry Jones?

Β 

Well, I don't know if it's my favorite. They're a great family, with Charlotte and Stephen and all of them. They are a great, close-knit family and I think people don't know [that] about Jerry. Yeah, he fired me. That's OK. That's fine. But when my dad died, he sent [my son] Wes, who was working for the Cowboys then [as the tight ends coach], he sent Wes and his family down on his personal plane down to the funeral in Goliad. He paid for the meal that day so everybody could have something to eat for the funeral. I'll never forget that. He didn't have to do that. He didn't ask me to do that. He just did it because he's a family guy and that's what people don't see about him.

The literal only coach that he didnt get along with was Jimmy - and that was pushing 30 years ago!! Here is aΒ Great time lineΒ of their divorce. Here is how a 3rd party describes it:

Switzer said when he arrived in Dallas the coaches told him they didn't even know Jones because Johnson wanted it that way.

"Why do you think that they got a divorce? Jimmy is the one that cheated on him," Switzer said. "If you want to talk about a marriage here, you go back and look at all the negative things that [Johnson] said…the things he did and the way he treated Jerry, and he's the owner. What are you talking about?"

Β 

Switzer added: "Jimmy and Jerry had a poor relationship and Jerry finally got fed up with it, sucked up his guts, and fired his ***, simple as that. A bunch of coaches won't even speak to Jerry because they're worried about Jimmy getting on their *** or firing their ***. Hey, I'm telling you, that's how it was. [Jones] got tired of living in that world."

Β 

Urban Meyer would be a bad hire. So hopefully you guys get him then.Β 

Why would he be a bad hire?

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

I think there are better pure football jobs, like the Steelers where you have job security galore and stable quiet ownership.Β But it’s inΒ the topΒ in football for sure with legacy. But it really depends the shape the team is in and how Jerry handles it. Whoever gets the team will have to execute day one, with Dak and Zeke taking up a ton of money likely. It’s as attractive as you find that situation really.Β 
Β 

I think the Chargers job, in position to get a new QB and a talented roster in Southern California is pretty nice, but Spanos sucks pretty hard as an owner. I think Owners matter a lot in a job not Β as dictated by fan base/numbers. Will they open up a checkbook? Jerry does. What are the facilities like? Hard to complain in Dallas.Β Will they back the hell off? Jerry won’t. If you are the head coach, you have to be ok with Jerry getting as much spotlight and credit for success that he’ll get.

Overall yeah it’s an attractive job, but could see some timid ness from some to walk right in and have to win. Especially when no one has been able to do that very successfully for so long. If you don’t get to at least a championship game in 3 years youΒ might be out.

It also like I said depends how Jerry handles it, if they hover on the decision to fire Garrett like some teams have in the past or wait to get interviews in with playoff teams’ coaches...they could miss out. Especially if they make it to the wildcard week, Skins and others will get a week head start and they’ll miss their opportunity to interview those bye week teams. But that only really comes into play if Jerry has the stones to fire the whole staff when they lose to the Vikings or Seahawks

Most coveted HC Job in Sports!🀣🀣

That might actually be the case when Jerry finally dies but until then Every Single Candidate will be weighing "That Title" with the constant unwavering meddling Jerry does on a daily and weekly basis.Β 

There isn't another Owner in Sports that does what Jerry does (SteinbrennerΒ  was the closest) and they all know it!. I hope DallasΒ does go get whomever they want from College Ranks,Β Please!!! Then they too will be Puppet Jones covets , Not the HC with the Pedigree or Backbone to do What They Want, Not Jerry!

Β 

Β 

Edited by Nabbs4u

4 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I think there are better pure football jobs, like the Steelers where you have job security galore and stable quiet ownership.

Steelers are absolutely one of the better jobs.

Β But it’s inΒ the topΒ in football for sure with legacy.

I would say tops in all sports. Professional sports anyways, college jobs are pretty cushy.Β 

But it really depends the shape the team is in and how Jerry handles it. Whoever gets the team will have to execute day one, with Dak and Zeke taking up a ton of money likely. It’s as attractive as you find that situation really.Β 

This is true. But if you are a top coach, you have confidence you can win.

I think the Chargers job, in position to get a new QB and a talented roster in Southern California is pretty nice, but Spanos sucks pretty hard as an owner. I think Owners matter a lot in a job not Β as dictated by fan base/numbers.

The Chargers job is awful. Terrible owners, terrible stadium with no fans, old roster - especially at QB. Terrible history (which matters to attracting FA's).

Will they open up a checkbook? Jerry does. What are the facilities like? Hard to complain in Dallas.Β Will they back the hell off? Jerry won’t. If you are the head coach, you have to be ok with Jerry getting as much spotlight and credit for success that he’ll get.

Read my post above. Besides being doing interviews, Jerry is super hands off nowadays. And the new cowboys facilities are insane. Multiple practices fields inside and out, a full on stadium, a team hotel, a freaking *hospital*, restaurants... We literally have the greatest facilities in the world:

DJYTG7VFXLN6Q5YEZO6PVH7EIY.jpg

Overall yeah it’s an attractive job, but could see some timid ness from some to walk right in and have to win. Especially when no one has been able to do that very successfully for so long. If you don’t get to at least a championship game in 3 years youΒ might be out.

Were not going after a timid coach. So it doesnt apply.Β 

It also like I said depends how Jerry handles it, if they hover on the decision to fire Garrett like some teams have in the past or wait to get interviews in with playoff teams’ coaches...they could miss out. Especially if they make it to the wildcard week, Skins and others will get a week head start and they’ll miss their opportunity to interview those bye week teams. But that only really comes into play if Jerry has the stones to fire the whole staff when they lose to the Vikings or Seahawks

Yeah, I think this is very much going to be a Johnson/Switzer/Parcells situation. All three coaches were handshaked hired before the previous coach was gone. According to Reddit, Cowerd said on the radio today he already has a handshake deal with Riley. I didnt hear or see a video, so I cant confirm if he actually said that.

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Most coveted HC Job in Sports!🀣🀣

That might actually be the case when Jerry finally dies but until then Every Single Candidate will be weighing "That Title" with the constant unwavering meddling Jerry does on a daily and weekly basis.Β 

There isn't another Owner in Sports that does what Jerry does (SteinbrennerΒ  was the closest) and they all know it!. I hope DallasΒ does go get whomever they want from College Ranks,Β Please!!! Then they too will be Puppet Jones covets , Not the HC with the Pedigree or Backbone to do What They Want, Not Jerry!

Β 

Β 

If you are going to laugh at my post at least educate yourself. You are claiming a 30 year old stereotype. Every coach since Jimmy has effusiley praised Jones and his role as owner/GM.

But then again, youve never been interested in facts.Β 

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Β But it’s inΒ the topΒ in football for sure with legacy.

I would say tops in all sports. Professional sports anyways, college jobs are pretty cushy

Yeah College sports jobs in terms of money and power are better. Only thing the NFL and other leagues have is it’s the top of the ladder in competitiveness. Most top College Football jobs Β and a lot of college basketball jobs are better.

Professionally speaking though Cowboys job is near the tops in American sports in a lot of categories. The biggest drawback is a lot of the real football stuff. For the fluff around it, hard to beat.

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Were not going after a timid coach. So it doesnt apply.Β 

I think any college coach will have some reservations of coming to the league when they could just stay and get paid the same. I think it’s smart to go for someone who isn’t a wet noodle like Garrett is, an aggressive coach would do really well there. But I think it’s a lot of pressure to rest your chance on the pros on THIS Cowboys team. It’s not a job in a vacuum. You have a 10-15 QB who will get signed to big money, a RB who just got paid and is already looking chubby and slower, potentially losing your one real threat in Cooper (who is injured a lot). And a spotty defensive roster With weird resource priorities (LB). And this is really it for your first 3 years there. As a coach you won’t have crazy money to attract these top FAs, they rarely do. And if it’s a college coach, most pros won’t come flocking there anyway until they show they can win.Β 
Β 

8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I think the Chargers job, in position to get a new QB and a talented roster in Southern California is pretty nice, but Spanos sucks pretty hard as an owner. I think Owners matter a lot in a job not Β as dictated by fan base/numbers.

The Chargers job is awful. Terrible owners, terrible stadium with no fans, old roster - especially at QB. Terrible history (which matters to attracting FA's).

I agree it’s not attractive for a lot of reasons, but football wise they do have a lot of good players. I was just using that as an example for why some jobs might seem ok on the field actually suck off it.

8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Will they open up a checkbook? Jerry does. What are the facilities like? Hard to complain in Dallas.Β Will they back the hell off? Jerry won’t. If you are the head coach, you have to be ok with Jerry getting as much spotlight and credit for success that he’ll get.

Read my post above. Besides being doing interviews, Jerry is super hands off nowadays. And the new cowboys facilities are insane. Multiple practices fields inside and out, a full on stadium, a team hotel, a freaking *hospital*, restaurants... We literally have the greatest facilities in the world

It doesn’t really matter, it’s the perception. Whenever they are doing well his leathery mug is what you see on tv, he gets interviewed by people. He’s not really the definition of hands off. Even if he is better about it. As far as facilities go it’s hard to beat, but most college campuses, including the sooners, have pretty damn good facilities. Which on a personal level I find gross with how high tuition is in the country...but that’s not what we are talking about here ha

Β 

Β 

Β 

End of the day I think Reilly will probably use the flirting with the league to get a new deal and stay. But could totally be wrong. Maybe having all those heisman winners was enough. Because he’d be leaving having not won a bowl game, let alone a championship.