πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Those quotes were about Nolan, not McCarthy. Other beat writers have already pointed this out.Β 

What do you think about MM so far, Matts?Β  He's off to a tough start, but it is a strange year too.Β  Do you think he will be a good one for you guys?Β  I thought it was a good decision when the Cowboys made the hire.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

What do you think about MM so far, Matts?Β  He's off to a tough start, but it is a strange year too.Β  Do you think he will be a good one for you guys?Β  I thought it was a good decision when the Cowboys made the hire.

Depends on how he addresses our defensive staff and if he can help Moore get any production whatsoever out of our Mash unit Offense. Its only 6 weeks in, but he has to show some backbone here.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

His offense may or may not be obsolete, but Mike McCarthy was a good coach in his day.Β  He supposedly studied up in his time out of the league, so time will tell if he has updated things to the point where he will be successful again.Β  He was a good coach though.Β  As a fan of a division rival of his previous team, I can attest to that.

I think it’s the go to thing for coaches who spend a year or more off. Schwartz said a lot of the same things and seemingly has done most of what he did previous to getting the DC job here. Even moreso with McCarthy claiming he was up on analytics. Just seemed fairly transparent he was just shining up things to get a job, whichΒ the Cowboys obviously bit hard on after they got flak fromΒ disputingΒ the usefulness of them for the last couple years.

He’s not the worst coach in the league, but we all knew what he was. Instead of getting someone with some vision or someone that could wrangle the locker room... they got this. I won’t pretend to know what is going on down there but this hasn’t been that surprising beyond I didn’t expect it to be this bad.
Β 

Maybe trying to build a defense and not spending money on a RB that every trend says wouldn’t beΒ a smart idea could’ve helped a bit?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Maybe trying to build a defense and not spending money on a RB that every trend says wouldn’t beΒ a smart idea could’ve helped a bit?

Zeke didn't stop any of that from happening though? HowΒ about Cooper?They paid Lawrence 100M+ who's disappeared since his extension?Β Paid Jaylon who balled out last year but has disappeared this year? Attempted to add McCoy, Poe, Ha Ha,Β  ect who have failed miserably. The only singular player they could of signed got aΒ Rediculous contract in Byron Jones, he worth that?? Only FA addition that has panned out is a player 5 years removed from the NFL.

Zeke contract isn't the reason their defense is atrocious. Under achieving players, poor FA additions that didn't pan out and possibly the DC is.

Edited by Nabbs4u

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Zeke didn't stop any of that from happening though? HowΒ about Cooper?They paid Lawrence 100M+ who's disappeared since his extension?Β Paid Jaylon who balled out last year but has disappeared this year? Attempted to add McCoy, Poe, Ha Ha,Β  ect who have failed miserably. The only singular player they could of signed got aΒ Rediculous contract in Byron Jones, he worth that?? Only FA addition that has panned out is a player 5 years removed from the NFL.

Zeke contract isn't the reason their defense is atrocious. Under achieving players, poor FA additions that didn't pan out and possibly the DC is.

They wouldn't have had to pay Byron the same contract if he didn't leave the building. But it just speaks to the flawed methodology.Β 
I mean I thinkΒ the Cowboys' current issues are mostly coaching and management. They have a roster good enough to be competitive.
They need to invest in their lines in the draft more. They built that good oline awhile ago and it's broken now, with only Martin remaining really.Β 
Β 

Zeke is just a good example of neglecting trends/history, bad roster / cap management and misplaced priorities that have been the norm under Jerry Jones & co.

3 hours ago, Kiltman said:

They wouldn't have had to pay Byron the same contract if he didn't leave the building. But it just speaks to the flawed methodology.Β 
I mean I thinkΒ the Cowboys' current issues are mostly coaching and management. They have a roster good enough to be competitive.
They need to invest in their lines in the draft more. They built that good oline awhile ago and it's broken now, with only Martin remaining really.Β 
Β 

Zeke is just a good example of neglecting trends/history, bad roster / cap management and misplaced priorities that have been the norm under Jerry Jones & co.

So I'm assuming you think the Giants should let Saquon walk after he's Tagged for a season and the Eagles should pretty much do the same with Sanders no matter what he accomplishes the next 4 years?

We'll just find a suitable replacement like a Boston Scott , Corey Clement , ElijahΒ  Holyfield because RB are a dime a dozen?

If you find a special RB you keep that special RB at all cost. If a TE/WR can make 15-20M a season and barely touch the ball 100 times. Surely a Stud RB with 300-400 touches used properly can as well.

Thank God Jason Garrett is an idiot and wasted the last 3-4 years of Zeke. Can you imagine with that OL if he had took the same approach of say Mike Vrabel with Derrick Henry/Tannehil? Continued what they were doingΒ Dak'sΒ Rookie season instead ofΒ trying to prove your genius by turning him into a 5000 yd passer?

Zeke's contract was never the problem.Β 

Edited by Nabbs4u

7 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

So I'm assuming you think the Giants should let Saquon walk after he's Tagged for a season and the Eagles should pretty much do the same with Sanders no matter what he accomplishes the next 4 years?

Yes.

7 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

We'll just find a suitable replacement like a Boston Scott , Corey Clement , ElijahΒ  Holyfield because RB are a dime a dozen?

Probably.

8 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

If you find a special RB you keep that special RB at all cost.

Nope.

8 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

If a TE/WR can make 15-20M a season and barely touch the ball 100 times. Surely a Stud RB with 300-400 touches used properly can as well.

College RBs can step into an NFL offense a lot easier than WR or TEs.Β Β 

9 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Its a problem.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

If you find a special RB you keep that special RB at all cost. If a TE/WR can make 15-20M a season and barely touch the ball 100 times. Surely a Stud RB with 300-400 touches used properly can as well.

Thank God Jason Garrett is an idiot and wasted the last 3-4 years of Zeke. Can you imagine with that OL if he had took the same approach of say Mike Vrabel with Derrick Henry/Tannehil? Continued what they were doingΒ Dak'sΒ Rookie season instead ofΒ trying to prove your genius by turning him into a 5000 yd passer?

Sometimes I feel like you dont even know the basics of football.

I thought we had a chance to get Saquon at the end of the 1st round because I thought teams wised up finally about the RB position that year. Some teams just refuse to let rudimentary roster logistics into their FO.Β 
Β 

You just don’t know enough about a RB to give them damn near $100M. He works his arse off for 4 years. 4 years, 1400 touches later he’s an all pro multiple times. Earns himself that contract and whoops, falls off the cliff. It’s just too much to put on an average RB body and expect him to keep the production up. Plus, the RB position is reliant on a whole offensive position group to be successful. If you don’t have your OL in order, it’s a futile pick before he even sees the field.Β 
Β 

Trouble with all of this is that teams fail to realize their window when it’s open. Or don’t understand that they’re only getting 1-2 real shots at it while they’re good.Β Very few teams have a real shot at the SB for a large stretch of time. If Dallas was going to win the SB, it was the previous 3 years or so. Dak’s rookie year was the year. They’ve been chasing that ever since. Loading up weapons, building up unconventionally and pushing all in. Now, they’re screwed. Even if they want to resign Dak, it’ll be at the detriment to field any functional defense.Β 
Β 

But there is a correlation. That window. A team that has their pieces in place have the luxury to take a 1st round RB when they have everything in order already. That same window pertains to the QB too. A special, special QB is recession proof. Usually, that QB understands the game so well they can offset a bad OL, lackluster RBs, or average WRs. But for the rest of us, we have to manage the cap in that small window. Use the β€œcheap” contract of that star RB or QB to go in and win for those 4-5 years. Sometimes you can push the problems off a year or two and make the numbers works. But for the most, if you don’t win in that window, you’re just going to chase it until you start over again.Β 
Β 

Dallas would be best served trading Dak and Zeke for some premium picks, rebuilding the DL/OL, getting a fresh upstart coach with his own QB to groom. Let someone else pay a huge amount of money for a good QB and RB that may have seen his best years already. Don’t get me wrong. I think they’re both good players. But not in Dallas currently constructed.Β 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

really depends, the Giants are a team so devoid of talent you can afford to pay him.
Because enough good FAs won't be available and they don't have the guys on the team worth paying.
On top of that Daniel Jones seems to be in the middling tier of QBs not really worth the money.

If they had even a slightly better team, no.Β 
I feel bad for Saquon because he's gonna waste his career on a team with no talent that will turn the corner just as his prime is ending.

The issue is you can replace them in the draft for a quarter of the cost.
Rbs can be a terrific thing to put you over the hump as a good team or just make you even better. Like it was a good pick for the Chiefs to take CEH this year.
But as a foundational piece coming before the rest it's a bad move.

It's the type of things that are typical of the Cowboys. Just look at the 2016 draft.
Next 3 guys off the boards -- Jalen Ramsey | Ronnie Staley | Deforest Buckner --Β all could've been foundational pieces that should be just as good 2020-2024 and they were 2016-2020.
Which you can't really say the same about Zeke.

Β