🦅🤠 NFC East 🤷‍♂️🆘 | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

4 minutes ago, Wentz you dog you said:

Broadway Joe, I am on your side... Absolute last resort & I haven't been like that until after the game today by PHI. If Doug hands away his playcall duties I will be LURED BACK IN.

I desperately want him to give up play calling duties but to a real OC. This season he’s the best play caller we have. Who is he going to hand the play calling to? In the immediate future what we need it’s to get rid of the convoluted offensive staff we have and have some semblance of an identity. But on Week 12? GTFO not going to happen.

My hope is that next year (since there’s no chance Lurie fires Doug), we get an actual OC that calls the plays and let’s Doug be the player’s coach he is. Then again I don’t think Doug is competent enough to run an NFL team but that’s the “realistic” scenario I hope happens.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I've always felt that way Jroc but given how we've 💩 the bed the past two weeks, I want nothing to do with the 19th pick and eventual WC lost.

This team and offense specifically looks absolutely lost with no direction, no clue. Being NFCE Champs will only mask that ineptitude. 

You can always look at that 9-7 giants team. They were 7-7 just losing to a 5-11 redskins team. The fans prb said screw it, we’re not good, let’s tank the rest, move up the draft board 8 or so spots. They got hot and the rest is history. Trust me, I have no faith in this team. They look lost on offense. And it starts with Carson. It’s the worst stretch I’ve ever seen by him. We need wholesale change. Or Doug to relinquish playcalling. Something. I dunno. But I’m never going to cheer for a better draft pick. Never. It’s a crap shoot. I’d rather have year to year success than a bottom dwelling team with a top 5 pick every year. Winning the division is fun. Playoffs are fun. High draft picks are fun for one day in April. And then it’s just praying the kid works out. Good teams find players all over. FA, late rounders, PS development, etc. Cowboys have drafted well, Redskins too. They both have been average at best. I don’t care about moving up the draft a handful of spots. The draft is out of our control. Playoffs are not. 3-6-1 and they still control their destiny. lol. What a fudged up season. Let’s make it fun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

The playoffs are real. Draft picks are speculative. When we dig on each other it comes down to team success not draft picks. You always always always cheer for playoffs. If only for the simple fact that your rivals get to watch you in them and can’t say crap for another season. I get the argument of getting the better draft pick but this isn’t the NBA, a team can be terrible one year and a few changes here and there and they’re right in the thick of the conference best. Happens all the time. I HATE the Eagles right now and I want wholesale change but I want the playoffs more. I read the Chargers have like a combined 17 pts between all their losses. Sometimes it’s just down to a few plays that makes or breaks you. That goes for most every team. As bad as you think you are, you’re almost certainly closer to competing than you think. And if 8-10 picks up a draft board make the difference than your probably doomed with your FO anyway. Always root for a stable base with something to build off of rather than utter dismay and the eject button which comes with a crap shoot pick at the end of it. What exactly did Lamb get them again? 

I agree with this. Well said.

2 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

The playoffs are real. Draft picks are speculative. When we dig on each other it comes down to team success not draft picks. You always always always cheer for playoffs. If only for the simple fact that your rivals get to watch you in them and can’t say crap for another season. I get the argument of getting the better draft pick but this isn’t the NBA, a team can be terrible one year and a few changes here and there and they’re right in the thick of the conference best. Happens all the time. I HATE the Eagles right now and I want wholesale change but I want the playoffs more. I read the Chargers have like a combined 17 pts between all their losses. Sometimes it’s just down to a few plays that makes or breaks you. That goes for most every team. As bad as you think you are, you’re almost certainly closer to competing than you think. And if 8-10 picks up a draft board make the difference than your probably doomed with your FO anyway. Always root for a stable base with something to build off of rather than utter dismay and the eject button which comes with a crap shoot pick at the end of it. What exactly did Lamb get them again? 

I agree with the sentiment, in the moment and leading up to the games I’m hoping for the wins. But as soon as it’s clear they aren’t fixing a damn thing and they lose...I’m on the full blown tank. They are awful.

If this was just a down year, yeah let’s get some good at the end...who knows what could happen — but this is an issue that has been going on since the super bowl. Doug’s offense sucks, Carson has regressed beyond comprehension, Howie + Co. have sucked at building this team...and next year lose the one thing they did well with the cap. 

There doesn’t seem to be an ounce of accountability, losing and losing hard might be the best thing for the franchise. No one player is going to fix this team....but at least a top 10 playmaker has a shot to be a big part of the turnaround. Picking #19th after a first round loss hurts that chance and also makes it less likely that the real work will be done. If we go into another season with Howie building this team, Doug calling plays and Wentz at QB....we are clowns who are stuck in a loop with only Lurie to blame.

Stuff like preventing one of these happening; Wash gets a playmaker or QB, Dallas gets a top QB or The Giants get the DE they’ve lacked for like half a decade is a bonus and ultimately not worth losing alone. Especially when all those franchises suck too.

Im full blown fire Doug. He doesn’t seem engaged at all and has been awful on all fronts. It’s on him to turn Carson around, and he’s failed. If it was up to him he wouldn’t have even tried to make changes last year (not there is much difference). If he won’t give up playcalling then he can ride that sinking ship out of the building.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

You can always look at that 9-7 giants team. They were 7-7 just losing to a 5-11 redskins team. The fans prb said screw it, we’re not good, let’s tank the rest, move up the draft board 8 or so spots. They got hot and the rest is history. Trust me, I have no faith in this team. They look lost on offense. And it starts with Carson. It’s the worst stretch I’ve ever seen by him. We need wholesale change. Or Doug to relinquish playcalling. Something. I dunno. But I’m never going to cheer for a better draft pick. Never. It’s a crap shoot. I’d rather have year to year success than a bottom dwelling team with a top 5 pick every year. Winning the division is fun. Playoffs are fun. High draft picks are fun for one day in April. And then it’s just praying the kid works out. Good teams find players all over. FA, late rounders, PS development, etc. Cowboys have drafted well, Redskins too. They both have been average at best. I don’t care about moving up the draft a handful of spots. The draft is out of our control. Playoffs are not. 3-6-1 and they still control their destiny. lol. What a fudged up season. Let’s make it fun. 

Playoffs are only fun for a week if you lose. Leading up to it and then the 20 minutes or so until things started going south. Draft pick are fun an entire offseason, from the pre-draft hype to the post-draft excitement. The amount of options, and talent, you can select from at #5 vs #19 is night and day and the excitement you will have over a guy you picked top 5 vs a guy you picked top 20 is also going to be night and day. They will last much longer than a day. IF we're purely getting down to enjoyment, a cameo in the playoffs, IN THIS SEASON*, gets blown out of the water by a high draft pick for me. Is there an exact science to draft picks? Is the higher pick always better than the lower pick? Of course not, but there's a pretty strong trend (shocker) between success in the NFL and where you got drafted... and if you're at the point in Eagles fandom where you're genuinely thinking "yeah but Howie will screw it up anyway so who cares" then I don't know why you'd care about ANYTHING Eagles football right now.

The higher draft pick is nice, but that's not even my main motivation for praying we don't make the playoffs. Losing now and missing the playoffs gets us that much closer to getting rid of or drastically altering the role of Howie and Doug, which at this point, it looks like are essential moves if we ever want to be relevant again. This franchise needs an overhaul, we have been slowly rotting since 2018.

You mention rooting for a stable base in another post, but I don't understand that. We clearly don't have a stable base..? Asking to root for a stable base right now is like asking to root that we have Pat Mahomes at QB. Our core of players under 30 is such a short list it'll make me sad to even write out, while our coaches and FO needed to be gone yesterday. 

Let's also make it clear, I am not rooting against getting hot and making the playoffs at 8-7-1 or something like that. That's an entirely different story than making the playoffs at 5-10-1, and picking 10+ spots later for no other reason than being lucky to be in the NFCE. Literally no other reason. I'm not rooting for us to lose as much as I'm rooting for a team of our caliber to pick where they deserve to pick, which is 5-8 range, not 19+. If we do get hot (will not happen I am 99% sure), I will be absolutely fine making the playoffs and picking 19 or 20, even if it means Howie and Doug get their leash loosened.

I can't tell if you're just being insanely optimistic, or are vehemently sticking to the "any given sunday, don't take playoffs for granted" stance on principle. The latter I can understand, and we'll just have to agree to disagree there. We've discussed it before, you've been through dark ages of Eagles football, I haven't, so maybe I'm just being spoiled, but that's just something I'd have to learn firsthand to really appreciate... Hopefully that doesn't happen. 

*I emphasized this season because normally you need at least 9 wins to make the playoffs, and at 3-6-1, a playoff appearance would mean a lot of winning leading up to that playoff game, which would be a lot of fun. Winning trumps all. This is a unique season where literally 2 wins, ones I would argue may not even be fun (barley beating WFT or Cowboys teams, the latter probably wanting to lose, will not be that fun), could get us that playoff appearance.

4 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

I desperately want him to give up play calling duties but to a real OC. This season he’s the best play caller we have. Who is he going to hand the play calling to? In the immediate future what we need it’s to get rid of the convoluted offensive staff we have and have some semblance of an identity. But on Week 12? GTFO not going to happen.

My hope is that next year (since there’s no chance Lurie fires Doug), we get an actual OC that calls the plays and let’s Doug be the player’s coach he is. Then again I don’t think Doug is competent enough to run an NFL team but that’s the “realistic” scenario I hope happens.

Rich actually did a good job with DEN especially later on in the season. He has playcalling experience and will run the ball a lot more. I would like for Pederson to put his ego aside & see if Rich can generate SOME type of flow/rhythm. I do not believe I have seen an Eagles offense this poor both talent & coaching wise. Receivers are god awful - No one can win against M2M press coverage at either 3 levels & the route concepts do not free anyone up. The offense needs a total overhaul & no way Lurie cannot see that.... It's an embarrassment from the front office to the coaching staff.

4 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

I agree with this, boss... It's IMPOSSIBLE for me to root against the Birds any weekend regardless of what I think after each game. Plus, playoff football is the dang best but godly it's just been unwatchable football this year

Edited by Wentz you dog you

8 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Playoffs are only fun for a week if you lose. Leading up to it and then the 20 minutes or so until things started going south. Draft pick are fun an entire offseason, from the pre-draft hype to the post-draft excitement. The amount of options, and talent, you can select from at #5 vs #19 is night and day and the excitement you will have over a guy you picked top 5 vs a guy you picked top 20 is also going to be night and day. They will last much longer than a day. IF we're purely getting down to enjoyment, a cameo in the playoffs, IN THIS SEASON*, gets blown out of the water by a high draft pick for me. Is there an exact science to draft picks? Is the higher pick always better than the lower pick? Of course not, but there's a pretty strong trend (shocker) between success in the NFL and where you got drafted... and if you're at the point in Eagles fandom where you're genuinely thinking "yeah but Howie will screw it up anyway so who cares" then I don't know why you'd care about ANYTHING Eagles football right now.

The higher draft pick is nice, but that's not even my main motivation for praying we don't make the playoffs. Losing now and missing the playoffs gets us that much closer to getting rid of or drastically altering the role of Howie and Doug, which at this point, it looks like are essential moves if we ever want to be relevant again. This franchise needs an overhaul, we have been slowly rotting since 2018.

You mention rooting for a stable base in another post, but I don't understand that. We clearly don't have a stable base..? Asking to root for a stable base right now is like asking to root that we have Pat Mahomes at QB. Our core of players under 30 is such a short list it'll make me sad to even write out, while our coaches and FO needed to be gone yesterday. 

Let's also make it clear, I am not rooting against getting hot and making the playoffs at 8-7-1 or something like that. That's an entirely different story than making the playoffs at 5-10-1, and picking 10+ spots later for no other reason than being lucky to be in the NFCE. Literally no other reason. I'm not rooting for us to lose as much as I'm rooting for a team of our caliber to pick where they deserve to pick, which is 5-8 range, not 19+. If we do get hot (will not happen I am 99% sure), I will be absolutely fine making the playoffs and picking 19 or 20, even if it means Howie and Doug get their leash loosened.

I can't tell if you're just being insanely optimistic, or are vehemently sticking to the "any given sunday, don't take playoffs for granted" stance on principle. The latter I can understand, and we'll just have to agree to disagree there. We've discussed it before, you've been through dark ages of Eagles football, I haven't, so maybe I'm just being spoiled, but that's just something I'd have to learn firsthand to really appreciate... Hopefully that doesn't happen. 

*I emphasized this season because normally you need at least 9 wins to make the playoffs, and at 3-6-1, a playoff appearance would mean a lot of winning leading up to that playoff game, which would be a lot of fun. Winning trumps all. This is a unique season where literally 2 wins, ones I would argue may not even be fun (barley beating WFT or Cowboys teams, the latter probably wanting to lose, will not be that fun), could get us that playoff appearance.

Once we knew that Foles was going to be the starter for the SB playoff run, what did you expect? What did we ultimately get? A memory that will last your entire effing life. I’m never going to tell my grandkids I skipped work to join a million eagle fans for a parade on broad st to celebrate a top 5 pick. 

That’s about as simple as I can put it. 

You’re not wrong. And I don’t blame you. I feel the exact same way right now. Things have to change in that FO and coaching staff. I don’t have the answers. No one does. All we can do is speculate and hope that whatever decision is ultimately made is the right one and doesn’t start us down a spiraling decent into the NFL basement for a decade. I don’t have very much faith that it’ll happen. Howie has made a handful of good moves out of the basket that has been mostly trash. But I can’t can’t can’t root for the demise of my team because there’s a draft pick waiting for me that may or may not amount to anything much at all. Playoffs are tangible. You can celebrate that. You can hang a banner. You can shove it in a cowboy fans face. In 20 years, no one will remember how you won the division. They’ll just see a banner. I’m not willing to sell the teams possible success out because some dude ran a 4.2 and is flying up draft boards. Meanwhile, he’s just a fast guy that can’t play football and it sets us back another couple years. It’s not a guarantee draft picks hit. If you’re good football operation, you’ll find a way to field a team regardless of your draft slot. Belichick has been finding football players all over the draft for 20 years. I agree that maybe Howie and Doug ain’t it anymore but I’m not hitting the reset button because of one year. Some changes need to be made, yes. But to just throw away a football season is not my nature. You’re going to cheer for your team every Sunday anyway. What’s the point in finding solace in losses? It’s a losers attitude. One that Philly fans have grown accustomed to. I ain’t about that life, hoss.