🦅🤠 NFC East 🤷‍♂️🆘 | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

So.....checkdowns?

He completes 78% of adjusted passes yet is piss poor in 3rd and long conversion. Isn’t this exactly what you’re talking about? Random stats without the rest of the story. 

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

Does Dak only get one guy to throw to or something? Did the OC just run routes purposefully to not get first downs. I don’t get it. He has decisions to make as well right? Can’t he just hot route or is he not able to do that? 

Yeah, thats the exact point. Linehan would call slants/curl/screen every 3rd and long. Almost never did he call routes that went past the sticks. 

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Yeah, thats the exact point. Linehan would call slants/curl/screen every 3rd and long. Almost never did he call routes that went past the sticks. 

"It extended to the passing game as well. Every defensive coordinator in the league, plus a majority of random people on the street, knew that if the Cowboys were in third down and medium (five to ten yards to go), the receivers were probably all going to go to the sticks and hook back to the QB. Over and over and over again."

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/2/10/18216140/why-was-2018-dallas-cowboys-offense-so-lame-scott-linehan-kellen-moore-jason-garrett-ezekiel-elliott

giphy.gif

SL5.gif

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

Whoever is on the right side of the field there definitely ran a route.

You can agree the concept sucks though right? 3 WR against 5 in coverage and the only route deeper than the sticks is a bracketed in route. The curls make it past, but run back to the sticks. Easy to guard. 

Edited by Matts4313

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

You can agree the concept sucks though right? 3 WR against 5 in coverage and the only route past the sticks is a bracketed in route. 

My wonder is, is this how he operated at any of his other stops as an OC? Or is it due to the tools he had to work with that he felt this gave him the best chance.

Just now, Danger said:

My wonder is, is this how he operated at any of his other stops as an OC? Or is it due to the tools he had to work with that he felt this gave him the best chance.

Its not like he had a great reputation for being an offensive mastermind before he came here. The Lions fans absolutely hated him. His strategy there was throw it to Calvin Johnson 20 times a game though. 

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Its not like he had a great reputation for being an offensive mastermind before he came here. The Lions fans absolutely hated him. His strategy there was throw it to Calvin Johnson 20 times a game though. 

a solid strategy 

14 hours ago, DaBoys said:

"It extended to the passing game as well. Every defensive coordinator in the league, plus a majority of random people on the street, knew that if the Cowboys were in third down and medium (five to ten yards to go), the receivers were probably all going to go to the sticks and hook back to the QB. Over and over and over again."

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/2/10/18216140/why-was-2018-dallas-cowboys-offense-so-lame-scott-linehan-kellen-moore-jason-garrett-ezekiel-elliott

giphy.gif

SL5.gif

I'm confused by the claim in combination with the Gifs. The claim was that the cowboys WR stop at the sticks and curl on 3rd down plays with 5 to ten yards to go.

First Gif: Play that is 3rd and 16 where all 4 WRs run curls about 10-12 yards down the field. Ok single dumb play but doesn't fit the 5-10 yard argument.

Second Gif: Play is 3rd and 10 where all three WRs run different routes past the sticks (Top runs a post/dig route with a hitch, Slot runs a curl, Bottom runs an out) Dak just feels the pressure of the Blitz and can't complete the pass despite having 5 to 5.5 seconds (my unscientific 1-1000 count). He lets that go a second earlier to the slot guy and it's most likely a first down (despite the flag for holding on the O line).

Either way, "The Cowboys run to the sticks and turn around during 3rd and 5-10 to go" and then two gifs not showing that happening isn't going to fly.

Note: I didn't read the article linked, I hope they did better than the post.

Edited by Hockey5djh

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

The #2 reason the Giants will be a dumpster fire is... Running back?? O_o

Should’ve stopped at #1, because we all know Daniel Jones will be a star. Actually I should’ve stopped at phillyvoice.com. Because “philly voice” has never been followed with “of reason”.

Shame on you for sharing that link Matts. 

13 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Read the article, seemed like more of a puff piece for Moore than a real breakdown but not awful.

Notes:
- 1) Linehan probably did suck, I will not argue that. IMO that falls on Garrett for not taking over that situation.
- 2) I'm curious if the restrictions that are being complained about were based on talent (Sub par WRs, injured OL, crappy QB) available rather than "resistance to open the playbook"
- 3) I would damn well hope that Kellen Moore would seem smart to two former college teammates who never reached the NFL.